This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
robhol's profile picture

Different forum engine?

Started by robhol, 13 October 2012 - 08:12 AM
robhol #1
Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:12 AM
This one just seems… wonky. Indentation's SNAFU in a lot of cases, which is really not a good thing for a forum that's largely about programming, and it's not the only issue.

Has a different forum engine ever been considered at all?
Cloudy #2
Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:59 PM
Do you know how much work there'd be to convert this forum into another system with the amount of posts it has? :)/>/>
DarkSnake #3
Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:41 PM
PHPBB3! <3
D3matt #4
Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:01 PM
Do you know how much work there'd be to convert this forum into another system with the amount of posts it has? :)/>/>
Most forum software features conversion automatically, just saying.
Cloudy #5
Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:27 PM
Most forum software features conversion automatically, just saying.

Yes, but it will be a lot of work for little gain. What is wrong with the indentation right now? I must say I've not experienced any problems.
PixelToast #6
Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:43 PM
yea, i like it how it is now :3
however the code tag needs some better highlighting :[
billysback #7
Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:34 PM
I think this is more a case of your not use to the forum layout; please change it just for me.

The forum layout is not broken, unusable or ugly.
I would describe it as quite the opposite…

The only real things I could suggest are:
- A spoiler button in the post toolbar
- Indentations (tabs/spaces at the beginning of line) working
Cloudy #8
Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:24 AM

seems
  to
    work
  for
me

I'm not sure if tab works correctly but at least spaces do.
ChunLing #9
Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:47 AM
tabs work, but by automatically turning them into a bunch of spaces. Still, working is working. Sadly, you have to cut/paste them into the code window. However, as has been mentioned, things that look like working code shouldn't be in the code window unless they've been tested, which means that they must exist in a file somewhere and can be copy/pasted.
Noodle #10
Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:48 AM
I think this is more a case of your not use to the forum layout; please change it just for me.

Some problems arise though.
I'll give an example paragraph
"Most students like the freedom they have in college. Usually college students live on their own, in the dormitory or in an apartment.

Now retyped with bold + slashed out.
Most students like the freed have in college.uallyve on their own, in the dormitory or in an aparment.college students likUs they
Tiin57 #11
Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:55 AM
This forum layout is excellent. The only thing I have to suggest is giving the mobile version a bit more detail, like adding signatures.
Cloudy #12
Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

"Most students like the freedom they have in college. Usually college students live on their own, in the dormitory or in an apartment.

Most students like the freed have in college.uallyve on their own, in the dormitory or in an aparment.college students likUs they

What? How can a forum glitch even cause that? I do know that occasionally when you press bold etc it messes up - but you'd realise that while typing.
Noodle #13
Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

What? How can a forum glitch even cause that? I do know that occasionally when you press bold etc it messes up - but you'd realise that while typing.
You realize it, I was just saying it's that annoying, then to fix it is a pain in the ass.
It even glitches up to when you turn off the tag, that when you hit backspace it goes back to that bold.
Cloudy #14
Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

You realize it, I was just saying it's that annoying, then to fix it is a pain in the ass.
It even glitches up to when you turn off the tag, that when you hit backspace it goes back to that bold.

Or do what I do and just do it without the WYSIWIG editor - easy to remember the codes.