This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
tommyroyall's profile picture

RypNetAPI with DNS, Server and Protocol.

Started by tommyroyall, 14 October 2012 - 07:48 PM
tommyroyall #1
Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:48 PM
RypNet Networking APIs

Include DNS and Serv

Hello. I'm Sledger72, and I have recently had quite a need for a standardized networking protocol. I have gone about development of one, with protocols for DNS and Server control. My GitHub is: https://github.com/Sledger721/RypNet . The functions of the API can be found in the Documentation.txt on my GitHub. This provides each and every tool required to create an entire internet on your server, with a few good coders. The reason that I didn't post any screenshots is because of the fact that it is all text-based, with not too much to show. Thanks for reading, hopefully this will come in handy :)/>/>.
PixelToast #2
Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:54 PM
with my networking program you can fake your computer id with a string (assuming you have the networks password)
so you dont have to specify a id when connecting to a dns server :3
also networks can be esialy spoofed with your design
tommyroyall #3
Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:11 AM
You don't say XD. I'm actually going to post to: http://zombiechinchillas.blogspot.com/ about each insecurity I know of >:3.
PixelToast #4
Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:38 AM
lol in mine it just uses a simple password system and is basically impossible to brute force, infect, steal data
the only bug in mine is that you can place a fake server nearby a host computer when it initally connects you can fake as a server and steal the password, lol

want le source code? :3
wilcomega #5
Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:09 AM
i like when its not totaly secure. then i have to do a job and get sesitive data >:3
PixelToast #6
Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:51 PM
well the holes in your security are obvious, just make a password system without brute force detection to make the illusion of real security xD
tommyroyall #7
Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:54 PM
Exactly :D/>/>. They're always ways around things.
Fashter #8
Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:37 AM
Can you upload a working server, client and DNS used in say, one of your worlds and instructons on how to set it up? I have trouble getting it working because my DNS keeps throwing "DNS.lua:55: bad argument: string expected, got nil" when I try the net.dns.register(iDNSID,sUrl) when
sUrl = "fashter.com"
iDNSID = 8

Edit: I did more research on what caused the issue, and string.find as well as string.sub is under the string api wiki here as non-working functions, so you'll need to fix that.
tommyroyall #9
Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:13 PM
My apologies, as far as I know these work fine in emulators.