This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
darkrising's profile picture

Gps belt

Started by darkrising, 14 October 2012 - 10:16 PM
darkrising #1
Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:16 AM
Would be cool to have a gps belt held on the player that would send coords (syncing with gps maybe?) to a target computer or turtle, so you could make a turtle follow you or allow you into certain areas of a base without a keycard. :)/>/>
chalenged #2
Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:20 AM
Would be cool to have a gps belt held on the player that would send coords (syncing with gps maybe?) to a target computer or turtle, so you could make a turtle follow you or allow you into certain areas of a base without a keycard. :)/>/>
Immibis peripherals adds a type of card (rfid i beleive) that lets you scan for cards, and you can use it to make a door that only opens when your near it. How would the balancing of the belt work? Would you have to feed it coal for power?
darkrising #3
Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:25 AM
Would be cool to have a gps belt held on the player that would send coords (syncing with gps maybe?) to a target computer or turtle, so you could make a turtle follow you or allow you into certain areas of a base without a keycard. :D/>/>
Immibis peripherals adds a type of card (rfid i beleive) that lets you scan for cards, and you can use it to make a door that only opens when your near it. How would the balancing of the belt work? Would you have to feed it coal for power?

i was thinking that because gps works through rednet, its limits could apply.
Sebra #4
Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:34 PM
Actually you suggesting an item, working with rednet in a belt/inventory. If (when, I hope) developers add PDA that would be possible. That and many more.
ChunLing #5
Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:15 AM
There is a PDA peripheral already. It doesn't support independent rednet though. I think I'll suggest that, because it would be good.
Sebra #6
Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:20 PM
Peripheral mentioned is bad because it just extend console, not much usable.
PDA was suggested many times. I think developers just cannot afford it now. I hope they will do it eventually.
ChunLing #7
Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:31 PM
The PDA does need some programming work to make it more usable. I'm just using it as a remote controller right now, but when I (or somebody) finishes writing some better tools for it I think that it will be awesome. Still won't specify your position, except by you using F3 and typing the coordinates in yourself, though. But then again nearly everyone resorts to F3 for setting up their GPS/inertial systems anyway.
Cloudy #8
Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:52 PM
Well PDA's will eventually come and be self contained computers with rednet most likely!
Sebra #9
Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:09 PM
Cheaty knowledge of own coords is useful but not necessary. You can define own GPS base by setup four starting base GPS hosts. Other hosts can determine own coords by GPS. It is not a problem for them to differ from F3.
Well PDA's will eventually come and be self contained computers with rednet most likely!
Thanks! I hope they will be map-like without gui. Time will show.
JJRcop #10
Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:49 AM
And also, the GPS isn't a java-side feature, it is lua-side.
ChunLing #11
Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:57 AM
Hooray! Mobile Rednet for all!