This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
KillaVanilla's profile picture

[1.45] Deep Freeze - Lock up ALL your files!

Started by KillaVanilla, 16 October 2012 - 09:13 PM
KillaVanilla #1
Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:13 PM
NEW: Now works much faster! (No 2x speed increase, that upgrade broke things)

This program allows you to keep your files private, and also handily works as a layer of protection against viruses.

This program will save all of your files to a file called "HDD". This file will then be encrypted with the RC4 stream cipher, which prevents people from looking at your files. When a "frozen" computer boots, it will ask for a password. If that password is correct, then the computer will load all of your "frozen" files onto the disk. However, when your computer is shut down, all of the files on the computer will be deleted (aside from the "HDD", the startup file, and the RC4 API), preventing people from rebooting to a startup file on a floppy disk.

There is one problem, though: Actually "freezing" the drive (actually writing the files to disk) takes an extremely long time. You also cannot make any more changes to a "frozen" computer without making a whole new "HDD" file. I'm working on both of those problems, so don't worry!

The program can be found here: http://pastebin.com/Bu0tWgr4
Alternatively, you can type "pastebin get Bu0tWgr4 <filename>" to install this from in game.

Also, despite the tag, this actually IS compatible with non-color terminals, both pre-1.45 and otherwise.
brett122798 #2
Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:01 AM
Wow, does this turn all your files into binary code all in one file??

Btw, you gave me a great idea of moving all files to a database through rednet.
KillaVanilla #3
Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:31 AM

Well, first it stores the files in a table, which is turned into a string via textutils.serialize. That string is later encrypted with RC4, and then stored. So yeah, you're correct.

Also, good luck on your database system!
brett122798 #4
Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:34 AM

Well, first it stores the files in a table, which is turned into a string via textutils.serialize. That string is later encrypted with RC4, and then stored. So yeah, you're correct.

Also, good luck on your database system!
Pretty good idea, I have to say. The files would be unreadable for hackers!

Well, the database thing may be far off, maybe never, although, if I were to do that,(commaception) I'd make some backup program so you don't lose files by breaking the computer or deleting files on accident. Just seems like a good idea. :D/>/>
Fashter #5
Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:19 PM
I got a bios error that it attempts to write to global. Did you forget a local somewhere?
PixelToast #6
Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:25 PM
i made something almost exactly like this for commute OS, it would compress everything on the computer and encrypt it then make a startup file that will ask for a password :3, and no, you cant just use a boot disk to retrieve the password
KillaVanilla #7
Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:32 PM
I got a bios error that it attempts to write to global. Did you forget a local somewhere?

Not that I remember; then again, it's been quite a while since I've worked on this…