This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
deividaxas's profile picture

comparing item to id

Started by deividaxas, 19 October 2012 - 06:59 PM
deividaxas #1
Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:59 PM
it would be nice function if turtles could compare to ids something like

turtle.comparreToId(slot,id)
returns true if the slot's item id is equal to the id given

it could be used for a better sorting programs not just 1 item per chest…
Cloudy #2
Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:07 PM
Been suggested many times - not gonna happen. It is possible for more than one item per chest, you just gotta be creative. turtle.compareTo should work fine.
Hackingroelz #3
Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:23 PM
Use Database Turtles
matejdro #4
Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:42 PM
It is possible for more than one item per chest, you just gotta be creative. turtle.compareTo should work fine.

You are still limited to 15 items per chest at best.

You can create another chest to temporary store items inside, but that would mean 2 temporary chest just to examine one chest. Or 4 temp chest to examine full double chest.

In current form, chest management is only useful for dropping mining loot and things like that. Larger scale chest management is very complicated and tedious to make. And all those fiddling with temporary storing items in another chest would make it unusably slow. Turtle should be able to somehow compare to other items inside chest without pulling them out. Or ability to pull out any stack, not just first one.
Cloudy #5
Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:13 PM
It is possible for more than one item per chest, you just gotta be creative. turtle.compareTo should work fine.

You can create another chest to temporary store items inside, but that would mean 2 temporary chest just to examine one chest. Or 4 temp chest to examine full double chest.

In current form, chest management is only useful for dropping mining loot and things like that. Larger scale chest management is very complicated and tedious to make. And all those fiddling with temporary storing items in another chest would make it unusably slow. Turtle should be able to somehow compare to other items inside chest without pulling them out. Or ability to pull out any stack, not just first one.

If you're using a turtle for chest management you generally know what is in the chest anyway. I'm fed up of this suggestion - it isn't going to happen, end of story. If the only argument is "it's difficult" then that really isn't a good argument. Where is the fun if we hand everything to you on a plate?

Speed is also not an issue - since when are you going to sit around waiting for a turtle to do something? If you have to wait for it you might as well do it yourself. It is good for when you don't care about speed.

You can sort entire stacks at once quite easily. Who the hell keeps 15 types of thing in one chest anyway?
Sebra #6
Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:06 AM
You are limited by your creativity mostly.
Turtle should be able to somehow compare to other items inside chest without pulling them out. Or ability to pull out any stack, not just first one.
Not bad idea but suggested many times already.
ChunLing #7
Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:18 PM
Use Database Turtles
Seriously, Cloudy and the team aren't just being grinches, they've been supportive of Aperture Science Turtle Upgrades for those who really want this functionality, but it isn't going to be added into the vanilla mod. There are a lot of people still having fun solving the problem of having turtles learn the world environment with what they've got. I may or may not one day be one of them.
Hackingroelz #8
Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:38 PM
Use Database Turtles
Seriously, Cloudy and the team aren't just being grinches, they've been supportive of Aperture Science Turtle Upgrades for those who really want this functionality, but it isn't going to be added into the vanilla mod. There are a lot of people still having fun solving the problem of having turtles learn the world environment with what they've got. I may or may not one day be one of them.

I'm telling deividaxas to use Database Turtles not Cloudy or dan200
ChunLing #9
Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:25 PM
Um…syntax error? I don't know who is what in that sentence.

To clarify what I was saying, I quoted you saying "Use Database Turtles", and explained that, while the CC team is supportive of the Aperture Science mod (as far as I can tell, anyway), they do not intend to add the block ID function into the basic CC mod. I also indicated that there are reasons for this decision.
matejdro #10
Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:40 PM
Yeah this is what I really like about CC team - they support peripherals.