This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
thepowdertoy's profile picture

Bring back the old wired rednet system

Started by thepowdertoy, 22 October 2012 - 11:24 AM
thepowdertoy #1
Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:24 PM
The suggestion: Bring back the old wired rednet system
Possible implementation: Make another new modem named wired modem, or just open redstone connection when using rednet.open("side")
Possible uses: Much secure network, without constantly setting up ID in the program when you inadvertently destroy the receiving computer, so we can just use rednet.broadcast safely
BigSHinyToys #2
Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:14 PM
wire rednet is still there just with no RP there is no way to use it and seeing as RP will most likely not be released for 1.3.2 I don't think there will be wired networks for quite some time. the sonly way to do it would be to make your own program that sends pulses down Redstone wire very slow but it would work. You could just use rednet instead and by labeling your computers you want have to change there ID as labeled computers keep there data and ID when mined.

The only other option would be to convince some one with java skill to make a LAN wire nod for you. something like a LAN modem connects to a computer a LAN wire then connects to other computers that have a LAN modem and are connected to the same network. broadcasting would send to all sending would only send to the one computer and other computers with the LAN modem open in promiscuous mode. Your odds of convincing a mod maker to do it are slim.
dan200 #3
Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:21 PM
The bundled cable rednet still works (or at least, it would if there was a redpower release for CC). Proper wired networking is coming in a future update though :)/>/>
ChunLing #4
Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:12 PM
Will the wire simply be cheaper than modems for short distances or will the modems be nerfed somehow?
electrodude512 #5
Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:51 PM
Eloraam said she would port Redpower to MC 1.3, but I'm not sure if that means 1.3.2 (I assume it does)
https://twitter.com/TheRealEloraam
Cloudy #6
Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:25 PM
Eloraam said she would port Redpower to MC 1.3, but I'm not sure if that means 1.3.2 (I assume it does)
https://twitter.com/TheRealEloraam

But since then 1.4 has come out - but we will find out in time!
thepowdertoy #7
Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:26 AM
The bundled cable rednet still works (or at least, it would if there was a redpower release for CC). Proper wired networking is coming in a future update though ^_^/>/>

Is this mean you will implement a new wire like RP2 ribbon cable?