This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Dlcruz129's profile picture

Windows 8

Started by Dlcruz129, 06 November 2012 - 12:11 PM
Dlcruz129 #1
Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:11 PM
I just wanted to know who uses Windows 8.
Orwell #2
Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:08 PM
No option for the Linux geeks. :P/>/>
Dlcruz129 #3
Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:09 PM
There is now.
KillaVanilla #4
Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:01 PM
I'm a loser who uses Mac

I'm a Windows user, but won't that incite a commotion?

Oh, and on topic: I haven't tried it yet, and I don't want to.
Anyone hear the saying that every even version of Windows is bad, and that the odd versions are good?
Noodle #5
Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:16 PM
Windows 8 SUCKS
It's definitely a "not get"
Really hard learning curve..
Swiping the mouse.
Bleh.. It's just overall terrible.

It's harder than hell to navigate and, as I always say, "You can't swipe a brick."
Windows 8 was made for tablets, IMO it was meant to stay that way.
Touch screens? Windows is just collecting ALLLLLL that money.

App store on Windows, things may be free but it'll wind up costing you tens of hundreds to have fun on the new OS.

Overall rating: .01/10
PixelToast #6
Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:22 PM
i tried it out in new york, the ui sucked and theres is barely any functionality and they removed alot of things
they tried to much to make it online and interactive and its pretty much a windows live machine
and i HATE windows live, you have to pay for every little thing D:
Dlcruz129 #7
Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:09 PM
I'm a loser who uses Mac

I'm a Windows user, but won't that incite a commotion?
But it's true. Lol. Actually, there are many advantages to macs, but I still like windows more.
Dlcruz129 #8
Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:11 PM
Windows 8 SUCKS
It's definitely a "not get"
Really hard learning curve..
Swiping the mouse.
Bleh.. It's just overall terrible.

It's harder than hell to navigate and, as I always say, "You can't swipe a brick."
Windows 8 was made for tablets, IMO it was meant to stay that way.
Touch screens? Windows is just collecting ALLLLLL that money.

App store on Windows, things may be free but it'll wind up costing you tens of hundreds to have fun on the new OS.

Overall rating: .01/10
Thanks for the review. I was gonna buy it tomorrow, but now I'm gonna go to best buy and screw around for 15 minutes. Thanks for possibly saving me $40 (maybe more, I have no idea where I put my win7 disk :P/>/>)
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe some of the features designed for tablet can be disabled if you're using it as a PC. If not, I'm sure I can find a hack for it.
matejdro #9
Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:12 PM
I have it on my laptop with touch screen. I love it.

While on mouse and keyboard only, I think it is OK as long as you use only Desktop + start screen (without metro apps). Which also makes sense since metro apps are inferior to desktop apps (I don't think I have 22' display to have 3 buttons and 2 lines of text on it at one time).
Sammich Lord #10
Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:53 PM
No option for the Linux geeks. :P/>/>
I believe the proper term is "penguin".
Dlcruz129 #11
Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:12 AM
I have it on my laptop with touch screen. I love it.

While on mouse and keyboard only, I think it is OK as long as you use only Desktop + start screen (without metro apps). Which also makes sense since metro apps are inferior to desktop apps (I don't think I have 22' display to have 3 buttons and 2 lines of text on it at one time).
Yeah that's something I'm rly looking forward to, being able to check my email the moment I turn my computer on.
Dlcruz129 #12
Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:14 AM
So, what this poll has so far told me is:
Everyone's too worried they'll lose $40, which isn't the end of the world, and the guy who tried it loves it. Lol, imma screw around at a computer store this weekend. Does any1 know when the $40 sale is over?
Cloudy #13
Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:22 AM
Edited idiotic Mac option. The only Losers are people who call others Losers for their choice of OS. It is personal preference, and you acting superior just makes you an idiot.
Teraminer #14
Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:35 AM
Guys I acually used WinXP before 2 months or so, but I got a new PC so win7 wound not make my PC lag-freeze and finally explode (he was 1core/the new is 6core)
matejdro #15
Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:42 AM
Win8 is actually faster than Win7, so if you have bad pc it's actually good to upgrade.
Noodle #16
Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:27 AM
Win8 is actually faster than Win7, so if you have bad pc it's actually good to upgrade.
Wrong.
It's based on ram.
If you have shitty ram, Windows 8 won't do good.

Also, @dlcruz129
The one who tested it has a touch screen. Those who use mouse are really going to be pissed.

Again the money..
Touch screen costs more to buy.
$40(Windows 8) + $200+(Screen) = $240+
matejdro #17
Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:34 AM
I was talking about Win7 vs Win8. XP is of course best choice for shitty machine.
billysback #18
Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:47 AM
Someone I know got it, and I have seen it in use;
In case any of you don't know, windows 8 was made to be backwards compatible with windows 7 by basically including windows 7 with it, your able to go to the windows 7 desktop at any time, so theoretically by owning windows 8 you could never use the windows 8 desktop…

In any case, I am definitely sticking with Windows 7…
PixelToast #19
Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:47 AM
I was talking about Win7 vs Win8. XP is of course best choice for shitty machine.
nope, that would be linux, the computer would be shit anyway so you couldnt play really good windows games
also a good choice for server boxes
matejdro #20
Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:53 AM
Again, I'm talking inside Windows family. And I agree with you, Linux is superior in performance.
Kingdaro #21
Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:06 AM
Also, @dlcruz129
The one who tested it has a touch screen. Those who use mouse are really going to be pissed.

Again the money..
A couple of my friends who've tried it don't have touchscreens and they're using it just fine.

You don't need a touch screen to use windows 8. And if the modern UI pisses you off that much, just use the desktop view.

Want the start button back? Use start8.
Noodle #22
Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:30 AM
You, my friend, are very wrong.
WinXP is one of the most developed and fully functional systems that Windows has ever made.
Runs all games, not much ram required to function, etc.
And by runs all games I mean it literally runs almost ALLLLLL games.
It runs Win95 games perfectly.. no compatibility issues.
Noodle #23
Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:33 AM
Also, @dlcruz129

Again the money..
A couple of my friends who've tried it don't have touchscreens and they're using it just fine.

You don't need a touch screen to use windows 8. And if the modern UI pisses you off that much, just use the desktop view.

Want the start button back? Use start8.
I know where you're coming from it's just the swipes of the mouse.
I don't like the UI so I turned it off.
I regret upgrading because It can't run some games, hard to navigate, and costs. I know a lot of things are already developed for it (thankyou Microsoft for beta. Finally you did something useful).
Costs..
Almost everything in the Windows store costs..
matejdro #24
Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:40 AM
I think start screen from metro is good idea, even for non-touch. I found myself mostly going into start menu for pinned programs or simply typing a name of program I need. And metro start screen does just that. Maybe only thing I miss is ability to horizontally scroll by clicking and dragging with mouse which I got used to by testing Win8 on touch laptop. Mouse wheel seems weird for scrolling horizontal surfaces.

As for everything else metro - not so much. Maybe for tablets or netbooks, but on regular PC I don't see using it that much. Desktop alternatives are much better. For example I find google online calendar interface much better. Maybe it would be cool to have it work offline, but metro calendar will open and display anything fine and after a second it will shut down with "no internet connection" error. It seems like forcing online mode even though it could work offline.

In the end it all comes down to personal opinion. But I'm sure that after spending some time with it, you don't use it THAT slower than 7.

I meant that IF you have shitty machine, XP is the best choice instead of Win7 or 8. Not the other way around.
Leo Verto #25
Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:43 AM
Anyone hear the saying that every even version of Windows is bad, and that the odd versions are good?
That seems to be true, because those big companies only buy a new OS every few years, which is usually an odd version.

Edited idiotic Mac option. The only Losers are people who call others Losers for their choice of OS. It is personal preference, and you acting superior just makes you an idiot.
OSX is actually much better than Windows, unfortunately a lot of programs run only on Windows.

Also you can't design a good OS which works on tablet, phones and PCs.
Kingdaro #26
Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:47 AM
OSX is actually much better than Windows, unfortunately a lot of programs run only on Windows.
It's hard for me to get past the cost of a Mac, and the program incompatibilities you've mentioned.

After that, though, it's preference.
Dlcruz129 #27
Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:59 PM
Everyone, I asked about Windows 8 to Windows 7. I am NOT getting Linux or (god forbid) Windows XP or (god forbid2) Windows 95.
Dlcruz129 #28
Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

It was a joke, Cloud. If you'd read a couple replies down, I actually like Mac's for some things.

Oh, and, to counter-act your insult: The only losers are people who call others losers for calling others losers, because of their OS. (+1 to anyone who can read this without a headache)

Reply if you find the Easter Egg in this post :P/>/>
briman0094 #29
Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

This is true. You can get around the "run only on Windows" part by either
1. installing Windows in Boot Camp
or
2. installing Wine for Mac, letting you run .exes inside OS X

The only losers are people who call others losers

You have a point here. Too bad it didn't help your case.
Dlcruz129 #30
Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:14 PM
You have a point here. Too bad it didn't help your case.

What?
briman0094 #31
Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:17 PM
What?

You called Cloudy a loser because he called somebody else a loser. You then said that people who call others losers are losers themselves. Since you called another person a loser, you fall under your own definition of a loser.
Dlcruz129 #32
Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:18 PM
Guys I acually used WinXP before 2 months or so, but I got a new PC so win7 wound not make my PC lag-freeze and finally explode (he was 1core/the new is 6core)

Sucks, if you're good with computers I'd recommend building your new one. We spent about $650 building my current one, which would've probably costed a little over $1000 if we ordered it from someone. Only try this if you know what you're doing, though.
RichardG867 #33
Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:21 PM
I'm keeping Win7. Afraid that, just like the release preview, it BSODs on my computer.
Dlcruz129 #34
Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:21 PM
What?

You called Cloudy a loser because he called somebody else a loser. You then said that people who call others losers are losers themselves. Since you called another person a loser, you fall under your own definition of a loser.

+2 to you for not getting a headache AND giving me a headache. Lol, well played, well played.
Dlcruz129 #35
Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:23 PM
I'm keeping Win7. Afraid that, just like the release preview, it BSODs on my computer.

Make sure your processor supports NX or XD (the latter is not an emoticon, it stands for eXecute Disable, the former stands for No eXecute)

Its a security feature allowing certain portions of your memory to not execute. It helps prevent from malware. Windows 8 requires it for some reason.
BigSHinyToys #36
Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:34 PM
/random rant

win XP was the most stable affective and compact Micorsoft operating system in there history. the newer version vista 7 8 are trying too hard to be "cool" having nice looking appearance over actual functionality . win XP was striped and simple very clean and ran on low hardware specks. I an currently using windows 7 and it seams stable enough I ultimate allows full usage of my 4 GB of ram I think it is almost a scam that other versions of 7 don't allow full usage of RAM . I have tried windows 8 ounce and was not a fan it could be that I am not used to tablets and i would give it a go again. one thing that bugs me is that windows 8 is not realy ARM compatible there are two separate OS's one for x86 and a separate almost unrelated one for ARM . They both get sold as win 8 witch is bull as you can't run programs that are mad for x86 on a ARM win 8. < they should just keep the two separate and more metro on ARM and the more normal user interface on desktop.
Kingdaro #37
Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

That's okay, I didn't plan on keeping the universe stable anyway.
PixelToast #38
Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:29 PM
i love XP, but the only problem is that its 32 bit, so you can only have less than 4 GB of ram
they sould have made a windows xp 64 bit instead of shit vista
BigSHinyToys #39
Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:51 PM
i love XP, but the only problem is that its 32 bit, so you can only have less than 4 GB of ram
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_Professional_x64_Edition
Cloudy #40
Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:36 PM
Windows 7 is the best OS by MS that I've used in a while. I've not used Windiws 8 yet, so I reserve judgement - however the Metro UI does concern me since I don't use a touch screen.

To those who are asserting XP's superiority over any other OS. Move on. XP is dead and has already or will soon stop getting security patches. Not to mention lots of newer games require DirectX 10 or higher. At least move to Windows 7. Vista is crap though.
Luanub #41
Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

Umm there was Windows XP 64 bit… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_editions#64-bit_editions

I was a huge Windows XP fan, but I have to say I'm rather fond of Windows 7. I was not disappointed when I made the switch.

If Linux had more driver support I would definitely run it all the time and wouldn't even bother with Windows(not a Microsoft fan at all), but right now running Windows 7/Ubuntu dual boot.

however the Metro UI does concern me since I don't use a touch screen.

From what I've heard you can disable that UI and run it off a standard Windows UI which is pretty much the same as Windows 7. Can't say for sure as I have not yet tried Windows 8. I'm not really sure if I'm going to either.
Kingdaro #42
Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:14 AM
You can disable it, but I've turned it into a start menu. I personally like the look of it, so I wanted to keep it in some way/shape/form.

Leo Verto #43
Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:56 AM
Sucks, if you're good with computers I'd recommend building your new one. We spent about $650 building my current one, which would've probably costed a little over $1000 if we ordered it from someone. Only try this if you know what you're doing, though.
Did you make this thread to swear at people?

win XP was the most stable affective and compact Microsoft operating system in there history. the newer version vista 7 8 are trying too hard to be "cool" having nice looking appearance over actual functionality . win XP was striped and simple very clean and ran on low hardware specks. I an currently using windows 7 and it seams stable enough I ultimate allows full usage of my 4 GB of ram I think it is almost a scam that other versions of 7 don't allow full usage of RAM .
I completely agree with you, unfortunately everything feels laggier with 2 more gb of RAM.

To those who are asserting XP's superiority over any other OS. Move on. XP is dead and has already or will soon stop getting security patches. Not to mention lots of newer games require DirectX 10 or higher. At least move to Windows 7. Vista is crap though.
That's why I stopped using it, it was a good OS and the best MC OS compared to the market so far, any Windows versions earlier than Win 2000 were just GUIs for DOS.
matejdro #44
Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:10 AM
I an currently using windows 7 and it seams stable enough I ultimate allows full usage of my 4 GB of ram I think it is almost a scam that other versions of 7 don't allow full usage of RAM .

Every 64-bit edition of windows can use 4GB+ RAM. 32-bit windowses cannot do this due to tehnical limitation. And AFAIK all editions except for starter are available in 64-bit.

one thing that bugs me is that windows 8 is not realy ARM compatible there are two separate OS's one for x86 and a separate almost unrelated one for ARM . They both get sold as win 8 witch is bull as you can't run programs that are mad for x86 on a ARM win 8. < they should just keep the two separate and more metro on ARM and the more normal user interface on desktop.

Windows 8 RT (ARM version of Win8) is essentially only metro with basic desktop that runs only microsoft programs (like office or IE). Unless someone manages to jailbreak it, we cannot install custom desktop apps.

Umm there was Windows XP 64 bit… http://en.wikipedia....64-bit_editions

I have not tested it myself, but I heard that XP 64 was rubbish. There were no drivers and it was not reliable.

From what I've heard you can disable that UI and run it off a standard Windows UI which is pretty much the same as Windows 7. Can't say for sure as I have not yet tried Windows 8. I'm not really sure if I'm going to either.

You cannot disable it. But you can replace/modify start screen with 3rd party programs like Kingdaro showed.

Based on the results of above poll I think Win8 will be going vista way - not many people will want to install it because they just heard it's bad so they will think it is bad without even trying it. While in fact they should decide by themselves (google "Mojave Experiment").
Dlcruz129 #45
Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:37 AM
Did you make this thread to swear at people?

Umm, no? Why would I? I made this thread because I was totally undecided about Windows 8. How is that swearing? I told him how to save $500 on a computer.
Dlcruz129 #46
Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:39 AM
I spent a few minutes last night at Staples checking it out. It looks pretty neat, and it was easy to use on the laptop they had there. I personally don't see a problem with metro; it actually looks pretty neat. Of course, I loved being able to check my e-mail with the press of 1 button.
aura #47
Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:51 PM
My mom and I recently purchased a computer from Best Buy with preinstalled Windows 8. Its running great overall and I love the hud. Im not sure how valnurable Windows 8 is yet as I havent ran into any malware lately. I say the upgrade from Windows 7 is worth it as you get better performance, better hud, and a nice tablet start menu.

I have never tried Linux, how good is that?
Kingdaro #48
Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:03 PM
It's a given that Windows 8 will be a more frequent target for viruses than other operating systems simply because of it's popularity, even when Mac is almost if not equally as popular as Windows. It also depends on the system, of course, and whether or not you decide to use common sense when browsing the web.

And yeah, personally I've found Linux best for it's customizability, and because of how easy it is to compile programs from source.
aura #49
Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:07 PM
Haha, have you ever seen someone click an ad saying "You are our 1,000,000th viewer!"? If that's what you mean by common sense (not clicking it) then a lot of people dont have common sense.

Compiling programs from source? What language?
Kingdaro #50
Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:21 PM
Doesn't matter what language, all I have to do is cd to the folder and usually type a short set of commands like "make" and "make compile".

Plus how Linux is generally really good for programming/coding stuffs.
bbqroast #51
Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:18 PM
You need a new option. "I hate it because all the blogs I read are sourcing other random blogs showing how terrible it is".
Seriously, once you spend 10+ minutes on it it starts to show its potential. It looks nice, it's fast and snazzy. I'm planning on buying the upgrade as soon as my school techies get everything working with it fine (not sure how to survive double english without Reddit).

I have no idea about virus security. I understand there was quite a major rewrite in this version. Which is good and bad, hopefully the testing period will have knocked any major issues out of the hopper and given the time for antivirus programs to adapt.
matejdro #52
Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:30 PM
You need a new option. "I hate it because all the blogs I read are sourcing other random blogs showing how terrible it is".
Seriously, once you spend 10+ minutes on it it starts to show its potential. It looks nice, it's fast and snazzy. I'm planning on buying the upgrade as soon as my school techies get everything working with it fine (not sure how to survive double english without Reddit).

^^ This (Actually, "No, I don't think its worth it. " should change to this :P/>/>)

Regarding antivirus, nothing changes. Windows is still windows with its viruses. As somebody else said above, main reason for mac and linux not having viruses is that they are not as popular. Think about it: would you rather write virus that can infect 90% of PC users or just other 10%?

I'm not sure what rewrite are you talking about, but I doubt it was any (that would cause major uncompatability and so far all of my old programs work).
Mendax #53
Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:55 PM
Fun virus fact: If you write a virus in BASH in can infect both Linux and Mac systems. However, most viruses involving BASH require the use of 'su' or 'sudo' to run so a BASH virus will most likely only work on morons (such as those people who think Mac is uncrackable :P/>/> (Try it from a programmers' point of view.)) and therefore is not widespread.
brucelong #54
Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:47 AM
I recently bought the upgrade for my main laptop. I will soon get it for my netbook too. Its a great OS, with a lot of new features. I personally like how I can see if I have any new emails by just tapping a key. Metro is great. Typing this on WIndows 8, woot!
EDIT: Right after I typed this, my computer alerted me I was running low on battery.
brucelong #55
Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:52 AM
one thing that bugs me is that windows 8 is not realy ARM compatible there are two separate OS's one for x86 and a separate almost unrelated one for ARM . They both get sold as win 8 witch is bull as you can't run programs that are mad for x86 on a ARM win 8. < they should just keep the two separate and more metro on ARM and the more normal user interface on desktop.

Windows 8 RT (ARM version of Win8) is essentially only metro with basic desktop that runs only microsoft programs (like office or IE). Unless someone manages to jailbreak it, we cannot install custom desktop apps.
You can get 3rd party apps from the Microsoft Store. It works on all versions. I have several iOS games installed on my start screen.
Dlcruz129 #56
Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:10 AM
I recently bought the upgrade for my main laptop. I will soon get it for my netbook too. Its a great OS, with a lot of new features. I personally like how I can see if I have any new emails by just tapping a key. Metro is great. Typing this on WIndows 8, woot!
EDIT: Right after I typed this, my computer alerted me I was running low on battery.

You might not want to install it on a netbook, those things tend to be really slow.

You can get 3rd party apps from the Microsoft Store. It works on all versions. I have several iOS games installed on my start screen.

Really? I thought iOS games had the extension .osx, which is why it's a pita to write games for Mac/windows, as you would have to pretty much scrap your windows code and write it for Mac. Gotta love java.

You can disable it, but I've turned it into a start menu. I personally like the look of it, so I wanted to keep it in some way/shape/form.

Wow, did YOU program that, or did you get it online, or is there a setting for it? That's pretty neat, but I personally don't mind the look of the screen.

Edit:
Does anyone know when Microsoft's $40 upgrade sale ends?

Edit by Cloudy:
I have merged all your posts together. DO NOT quadruple post. Edit an existing post if you have something else to say and nobody has posted.
matejdro #57
Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:20 AM

I'm talking about DESKTOP apps, not metro.
Leo Verto #58
Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:22 AM
Yes, but only from that store.

@dlcruz129: Hey, edit your posts, but please do not post multiple times like that!
nolongerexistant #59
Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:32 AM
I use Windows 8, I have for some time. It's a little bit weird at first but when you get used to it it's awesome! :D/>/> I like it more as WIndows 7 nowm and Metro is just awesome! :P/>/>
Dlcruz129 #60
Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

@dlcruz129: Hey, edit your posts, but please do not post multiple times like that!

Sorry, no multiquote support for iOS.
Cloudy #61
Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

Sorry, no multiquote support for iOS.

Then keep posting and editing it with the text from the reply box. It's what I do.
rhyleymaster #62
Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:08 PM
I hate Windows 8. it cannot run minecraft naturally without altering the drivers.
This "Metro UI" Seems a little to much, dosen't it?
Dlcruz129 #63
Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:45 PM
I hate Windows 8. it cannot run minecraft naturally without altering the drivers.

It shouldn't do that? Make sure u have java. Any1 else having this problem?
PixelToast #64
Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

It shouldn't do that? Make sure u have java. Any1 else having this problem?
:unsure:/>/>
its probably graphics drivers
java isnt the only thing required to run minecraft
aura #65
Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:16 PM
The one way I think any virus could bypass your entire Operating System's protection, is to make a new operating system that mimics the name of another operating system (i.e. Windows 8), you'll choose the system in the BIOS and from there the virus can activate and destroy your entire computer. Im surprised I havent ran across any viruses that do that yet.
Kingdaro #66
Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:48 PM
Wow, did YOU program that, or did you get it online, or is there a setting for it? That's pretty neat, but I personally don't mind the look of the screen.
It's a 3rd party program called Start8.
D3matt #67
Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:03 PM
The one way I think any virus could bypass your entire Operating System's protection, is to make a new operating system that mimics the name of another operating system (i.e. Windows 8), you'll choose the system in the BIOS and from there the virus can activate and destroy your entire computer. Im surprised I havent ran across any viruses that do that yet.
Because most if not all motherboards these days support boot sector protection, and windows won't let you alter partitioning without administrative rights AFAIK. So unless you already have a partition configured to be bootable and mounted in windows with no permissions, it would be easier to just use some other method.

Plus, the whole point of 95% of viruses these days isn't to "Destroy your entire computer" it's to get money from you.
aura #68
Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:31 PM
No, "retardation" (is that even a word?) isn't how money is mainly made on the internet. There is plenty of legit services that will allow you to make money over the internet. Mostly when money is made on the internet it is from stolen account information and sometimes identity theft. Scareware such as fake antiviruses usually scare people into buying a product because they dont want to lose their computers. I dont know many little kids who arent informed about viruses, as I see many of them try to create their own viruses to be "As cool as the hackers"!
aura #69
Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:41 PM
Legit Services include:
  • IT (Information Technology), these people actually help out in managing websites and keeping them online. If a site goes down from DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service attack) then they can easily track where it came from.
  • Google is willing to hire at times.
  • There are some legit survey sites, but they make most of the money so its likely to just waste your time!

I can make it a valid argument based on the community I spend time with, children here are knowledgable in basic programming (Not to be confused with the BASIC programming language!). Batch programming can be classifed as well as the MS-DOS Command Prompt (cmd.exe Microsoft Windows 1.0 +) in which can be utilized to perform basic functions on the computer, therefore even by knowing how to use the "copy" command you know some "batch scripting".

You seem to have a large ego and arguing with you would get you nowhere.
aura #70
Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:49 PM
Your entire conversation was Off-Topic from the original post. So you arent avoiding any punishment by giving me a reply like that.
aura #71
Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:52 PM
I cant tell if youre trying to "troll" me or not, but if you wish to get yourself banned by doing that then go right ahead.
You know you lost the argument right when you started it.

Im disappointed in your ability to act maturly.
Kingdaro #72
Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:37 PM
dafuq just happened up there
aura #73
Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:42 PM
The troll lost an argument and got his ego hurt.
Its beyond annoying when people keep calling others stupid!
Grim Reaper #74
Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:49 PM
I use Windows 8, and I personally love it. My machine boots in 6.38 seconds and I have complete access to all Windows functionality as soon as I log in.
There is a lot of people who would say that Windows 8 is a terrible operating system just because of the redesigned interface, and I agree on some level.

There is a sharp learning curve, but its no more difficult to pick up than Ubuntu or Mac OS. I would assume, but don't quote me on this, that Microsoft wouldn't release an entirely new operating system without taking polls from user's on their opinions for the interface, so in that respect there must be some benefit to the new interface. Also, I don't know EXACTLY what has changed in this newest release of Windows, but it definitely seems faster to me and probably some new functionality was added or redesigned to make the OS "better".

To people (Noodle) that say that Windows is based on RAM, I am not sure of the validity of such a statement, but I would think that no one here has any insight into how Windows operates, including myself. Of course all operating systems require memory for decent operation due to the fact that CPU registers won't cut it for the amount of information that must be readily available for access in order for a decent user experience. Therefore, all operating systems will run "better" with more RAM, but there are distributions of Linux that don't require as much (DSL = Damn Small Linux. That operating system is less than 100 MB in size!). Again, I don't have any insight into the true nature and structure of any operating system that is commercially available, so don't quote me on anything.

However, it really comes down to a matter of opinion. Personally, I love Windows and have been using it since Windows 95, but other users would prefer Linux of some rendition of Mac OS. Don't be detoured when people suggest that Windows 8 is awful or is not worth it; if you like Windows and would like the latest release along with a platform that will support the newest software for Windows, then I would suggest buying Windows 8.

TLDR: Buy Windows 8 if you want it; listen to professional perspectives and actual data/tests that have been run and form your opinion on your own.
aura #75
Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:55 PM
Exactly. Windows 8 is by far the best Windows operating system that has come out yet, there is probably a bit of valnurabilities in Windows 8 as its not that old yet, but Windows 8 is compatible with ALL Windows 7 programs as far as Ive seen.
Dlcruz129 #76
Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:05 PM
I don't quite understand the people who say windows 95 is the best. If you had any logic, you'd know that every operating system will be better than the last (with the obvious exception of vista). I just ran the windows 8 upgrade assistant, and my computer can handle it. So, I'm looking forward to my windows 8! :unsure:/>/>
aura #77
Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:09 PM
Your computer can handle it because Windows 8 isnt as hardware intensive (or shall I say RAM intensive) as Windows 7 is.
Kingdaro #78
Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:41 PM
It's funny how well a couple of boxes and smooth transitions have sold. A lot of places are even missing drop shadows, haha.
Dlcruz129 #79
Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:27 AM
Your computer can handle it because Windows 8 isnt as hardware intensive (or shall I say RAM intensive) as Windows 7 is.

Yeah, but windows 8 requires the NX bit, which is only on newer computers. Good thing it's less ram intensive, cuz I run lots of ram-heavy programs like servers.
aura #80
Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:24 AM
Minecraft is another RAM intensive program (depending on your client!) that uses around 800 MB. Minecraft Servers are extremely ram intensive (depending on the amount of players!).
Leo Verto #81
Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:19 PM
Minecraft is another RAM intensive program (depending on your client!) that uses around 800 MB. Minecraft Servers are extremely ram intensive (depending on the amount of players!).
Well, it's still possible to host a Bukkit Server for a few people and play on it using only 2gb RAM on Windows XP :unsure:/>/>
Dlcruz129 #82
Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:01 PM
Well, it's still possible to host a Bukkit Server for a few people and play on it using only 2gb RAM on Windows XP :unsure:/>/>

I can host and play Tekkit from my computer averaging 2 other ppl on.
Leo Verto #83
Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:10 PM
Did that with 3 other people and myself on my old PC :unsure:/>/>
Dlcruz129 #84
Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:34 PM
Did that with 3 other people and myself on my old PC :unsure:/>/>

Yeah, I've never really tested my computer. I probably could do more.

Downloading Windows 8 Tonight! ^_^/>/>
matejdro #85
Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:50 PM
I'm typing this from Windows 8 To Go - Windows 8 installed to USB flash drive. So I can use that setup everywhere I want, I just plug in USB drive. :unsure:/>/>
brucelong #86
Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:27 AM
I am just kinda confused on why, according to Windows 8, I don't have a graphics card, I have a graphics adapter for monitors.
The Sims 3 (yes, I play other games other than Minecraft) freezes every other second.
matejdro #87
Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:09 AM
Install graphics drivers?
Cloudy #88
Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:52 AM
Large ego? XD hahahahahahaha! You're one to talk!
>_> this was rather off-topic and to prevent Cloudy from banning me I'll stop arguing. >:3 but we can continue this via PM if you… oh WAIT! I REMEMBER NOW! Some "teenager" broke my "mailbox" while "driving down the street" and he hit it with a "baseball bat"… in other words, Cloudy got rid of my ability to PM ;D

What the hell is your problem? I explained in another thread that I accidentally flagged you as a spammer back in October. I tried to remove it, but I obviously wasn't fully successful (although I was successful enough to allow you to post and badmouth me evidently). I have now fixed that - but if you do continue causing arguments with people (and I have been watching) I may have to reconsider that.
D3matt #89
Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:20 AM
Windows 8 makes me sad. However, I seem to have fallen in love with Windows Server 2012. I love everything about Server 2012. Metro actually seems to work better for a server OS than a desktop OS, for me at least. I tend to use my desktop and start menu a lot on a desktop, but on a server I just need my management tools and a few desktop shortcuts. And the new server manager is really all you need in Server 2012.

Although I never did figure out how the hell you're supposed to change the network location off of "Public". The spot that you would change it in Windows 7 wasn't clickable. I even tried using group policy, before I just gave up and moved ahead with setting up a domain.

The new Server Manager is terrific. It's everything I've ever wanted from a management program. It's truly a single point of management not just for one server, but for your entire network. You can add/remove roles from remote servers, you can see at a glance the health of all of your servers, and you can sort servers by role, among the many other new features.
Dlcruz129 #90
Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:33 AM
Well I got Windows 8 and I loved it! I wouldn't buy this full price, but its worth it for $40.

Helpful tip to anyone upgrading: Uninstall your anti-virus when you install; anti-virus programs don't take kindly to a program being downloaded off the internet then deleting your operating system. :unsure:/>/>
LEOcab #91
Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:14 AM
I have nothing against Windows 8. I tried one of the leaked betas a few months ago and it wasn't that bad. I just don't have a good reason to upgrade since I don't have a touchscreen and I don't really dig the new dual interface and the removal of the start menu… Changing my entire screen space just to open another program? nothanks.jpg

BRING BACK THE PROGRAM MANAGER INTERFACE FROM WINDOWS 3.1! jk trolol
ETHANATOR360 #92
Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:02 PM
i tried it at best buy last week and really its just windows 7 with a new GUI gimmik
Dlcruz129 #93
Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:05 PM
i tried it at best buy last week and really its just windows 7 with a new GUI gimmik

For the most part, you're right, Its just Windows 7 with a few bells and whistles. But for $40, I think its more than worth it.
D3matt #94
Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:10 PM
I have nothing against Windows 8. I tried one of the leaked betas a few months ago and it wasn't that bad. I just don't have a good reason to upgrade since I don't have a touchscreen and I don't really dig the new dual interface and the removal of the start menu… Changing my entire screen space just to open another program? nothanks.jpg

BRING BACK THE PROGRAM MANAGER INTERFACE FROM WINDOWS 3.1! jk trolol
They were not "leaked betas", they were legitimate release/developer previews from Microsoft.

For the most part, you're right, Its just Windows 7 with a few bells and whistles. But for $40, I think its more than worth it.
$40 is worth it for you for a new UI that makes opening new programs a royal pain?
Dlcruz129 #95
Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:17 PM
No, $40 for a better ui, faster boot time, less ram-intensive, and free cloud storage. Also, programs aren't hard to run, just right click the start screen and hit all apps, then u can pin stuff to the menu.
D3matt #96
Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:29 PM
No, $40 for a better ui, faster boot time, less ram-intensive, and free cloud storage. Also, programs aren't hard to run, just right click the start screen and hit all apps, then u can pin stuff to the menu.
Yes, I have to open the start menu which is a whole sifferent screen, instead of just a little pull-up on the side of my screen. I see absolutely no benefit to this and is my primary reason to dislike Windows 8.

Free cloud storage? There's nothing there taht you can't do in Windows 7. The entire Windows Live suite is available for windows 7 as well, I use it on a daily basis for schoolwork.
Dlcruz129 #97
Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:04 AM
Yes, I have to open the start menu which is a whole sifferent screen, instead of just a little pull-up on the side of my screen. I see absolutely no benefit to this and is my primary reason to dislike Windows 8.

Free cloud storage? There's nothing there taht you can't do in Windows 7. The entire Windows Live suite is available for windows 7 as well, I use it on a daily basis for schoolwork.

Its not any harder to open the start screen than it was in windows 7, just hit the start button on your keyboard. And, you get live tiles, so you can check your email whenever you go online.
D3matt #98
Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

Its not any harder to open the start screen than it was in windows 7, just hit the start button on your keyboard. And, you get live tiles, so you can check your email whenever you go online.
Except it's a start screen, not a start menu, so it takes me away from my desktop. If I want to get back to my desktop I have to click on the desktop icon instead of just clicking anywhere else.
Dlcruz129 #99
Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:09 AM

Except it's a start screen, not a start menu, so it takes me away from my desktop. If I want to get back to my desktop I have to click on the desktop icon instead of just clicking anywhere else.

Or hit the start button, :unsure:/>/>. The start button toggles through start screen and desktop.
D3matt #100
Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:32 PM
It's still a hassel for no benefit. And how the heck do you close a metro app as opposed to just minimizing it?

It's like Metro says "Functionality? We don't need that, just make it prettier!"
matejdro #101
Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:03 AM
You can close metro app by dragging finger or mouse pointer from top of the screen to the bottom (like throwing it away).

I agree with your second statement (metro has very small number of features), but as I already said, best thing about Win8 are non-metro stuff like improved performance.
D3matt #102
Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:40 AM
I've seen no noticeable performance improvements in Win8, to be honest. Using 100mb less RAM doesn't really count this day and age.
PixelToast #103
Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:03 AM
it gets a tiny bit more fps when using borderless windows on games
but if you were really worried about fps then you wouldn't use borderless window anyway
Dlcruz129 #104
Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:05 AM
I've seen no noticeable performance improvements in Win8, to be honest. Using 100mb less RAM doesn't really count this day and age.

Really? I've noticed a ton of performance improvements.

To list a few:
  • The biggest one: Startup time is majorly reduced. My computer used to take about 5 minutes to boot, now it takes less than one. (And I have a ton of startup stuff: Steam, skype, wamp, etc.)
  • It seems generally faster
  • Remember in Windows 7, if a program took like more than 3 seconds to do something, Windows would classify it as non-responsive? It doesn't seem to do that anymore.
MathManiac #105
Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:07 AM
One of the people I'm close to has Windows 8, but it looks like all it does is make a cooler Start Menu.
Kingdaro #106
Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

To list a few:
  • The biggest one: Startup time is majorly reduced. My computer used to take about 5 minutes to boot, now it takes less than one. (And I have a ton of startup stuff: Steam, skype, wamp, etc.)
  • Remember in Windows 7, if a program took like more than 3 seconds to do something, Windows would classify it as non-responsive? It doesn't seem to do that anymore.
That and that annoying bug where it looked like your cursor was on the taskbar but really isn't was fixed, it seems.
D3matt #107
Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

To list a few:
That and that annoying bug where it looked like your cursor was on the taskbar but really isn't was fixed, it seems.
I take it all but, I want windows 8 now!

Just kidding. But that bug annoys the crap out of me and I really wish they'd fix it for win7 too. Oh wait, I'd never get it because I can't even install SP1.
Dlcruz129 #108
Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

To list a few:

Yeah, that was st00pid

@D3matt Why don't you want Windows 8? I believe it's still on sale for $40, and as long as your computer can handle it its worth the money.
D3matt #109
Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:20 PM
Money is not a problem, I have a Dreamspark membership. I just don't like it.
stilldabomb #110
Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:12 PM
I actually heard it as, every other version of windows is terrible, they make too many changes, then it takes them another version to fix all the bugs. Like, do you remember Vista? Terrible. 7? Way better.
Leo Verto #111
Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:18 AM
I actually heard it as, every other version of windows is terrible, they make too many changes, then it takes them another version to fix all the bugs. Like, do you remember Vista? Terrible. 7? Way better.
The big companies only buy the odd versions, because updating to every new Windows version would cost too much and Microsoft knows that.
D3matt #112
Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:17 AM
The big companies only buy the odd versions, because updating to every new Windows version would cost too much and Microsoft knows that.
It's not just the big companies that say that. Most people who work with microsoft products for a living say that.
ETHANATOR360 #113
Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:36 PM
one major problem i just thought about is viruses that target a weakness in an OS are no longer limited to PCs but ttablets and smartphones too
tom2018 #114
Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:50 PM
while windows == "smartphone" do
print("CORRECT")
sleep(0)
end
it boots faster because its basically a smartphone on a computer.
and what does windows 8 add anyway it removes more features than it adds.
you can do anything windows 8 does in 7 but more
Dlcruz129 #115
Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:09 AM
Hey There. I found your phorum using msn. This is a really well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely return. wish you luck

Not sure if you knew that this isn't a forum for computers. This is a forum for a modification to a video game.
matejdro #116
Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:45 AM
you can do anything windows 8 does in 7 but [b]more[/b]

Name 1 thing.
overfritz #117
Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:54 PM
A good friend of mine has Windows 8 on his "jesus computer" (as I call it). His PC costed him about $500 to build, and it competes with even Alienware PCs in my opinion (not like I've seen one in use, but if you add in cost and stuff…yeah). He showed it to me, and damn it looks good. Metro looks wonderful, Desktop mode (AKA Windows 8 upgrade of Windows 7, IMHO) performs, well, like a regular PC, and it's just so simple and clean. I agree with those that say that it takes some time to get used to it, because it does. I used to hate all forms of Win8 (Regular 8 and RT), but now I just hate RT because it's really minimal in what it can do, and it costs WAY to much via the Microsoft Surface.

My friend built his jesus computer himself, using top-of-the-notch parts. He even has offered to build me one that would be able to compete (but loose) to his computer, but cost quite a bit less cause the processor would be a bit cheaper. I feel like taking up that offer of his, but only w/ my parent's approval. Well, cheaper than buying a new one!
Mycrafter5 #118
Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:47 AM
Horrible fail: Playing on my dads vista somehow got a virus when getting a file and wiped it clean,took him upwards $200 to replace the harddrive AND install windows 7.
Quite a bit better then Vista
Dlcruz129 #119
Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:51 AM
Horrible fail: Playing on my dads vista somehow got a virus when getting a file and wiped it clean,took him upwards $200 to replace the harddrive AND install windows 7.

Horrible fail: bumping a 2 month old topic
D3matt #120
Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:37 PM
Horrible fail: Wipe and replace hard drive, AND buy a new OS, all just because you got a virus

Horrible fail: bumping a 2 month old topic
Horrible fail: Failing to notice the topic is only 9 days since the last post.
Cloudy #121
Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:49 PM
So I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 8. Horrible mistake. At first no metro apps would work. Turns out avast was blocking them, so had to update that. Then windows update took forever to work (which is nothing to do with my connection). And now stuff from the Windows app store won't even download.

I've no doubt that these issues will go eventually - but when you update your OS you want things to just work. I'm tempted to install Windows 8 cleanly to try and avoid these issues. Shame there's no "rollback" function.
nolongerexistant #122
Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:07 AM
So I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 8. Horrible mistake. At first no metro apps would work. Turns out avast was blocking them, so had to update that. Then windows update took forever to work (which is nothing to do with my connection). And now stuff from the Windows app store won't even download.

I've no doubt that these issues will go eventually - but when you update your OS you want things to just work. I'm tempted to install Windows 8 cleanly to try and avoid these issues. Shame there's no "rollback" function.

Lol, if more people have those issues when they upgraded it would be a horrible fail from Microsoft, I installed W8 cleanly a few weeks ago and it run perfectly. Altrough i'm wondering where they hid the 30.000 apps they have (according to them >.>); since I can only find maybe 60 in the Store.

Besides that, Windows 8 is the best Windows so far. Metro was kinda annoying at the start but now I want nothing else :P/> The GUI is nice and clean, they improved a ton of things. To bad alot of drivers aren't W8 compatible yet.
russjr08 #123
Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

My friend seems to have the same issues with Windows Update. Thank god I use WSUS..
Dlcruz129 #124
Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Weird, that didn't happen to me.

The only problem I had was installing the operating system, when I had Windows 7 on my machine. Apparently avast didn't like the idea of my computer deleting system32. :P/>