This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
cheekycharlie101's profile picture

program printing 2 words instead of one. this is a bug not a program error

Started by cheekycharlie101, 06 November 2012 - 06:57 PM
cheekycharlie101 #1
Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:57 PM
ok so make a simple program and go edit test
in the program test type this.

textutils.slowPrint("Invalid Login Info Or Failed To Connect To Server!")
i was using this when i was working on my rednet lock. now this is the output

it prints
Invalid Login Info Or Failed To Connect To Server
Server!

it prints server twice and this works i think with any word with 6 letters or more. strange bug and its not essential as but its kinda annoying. note i am using computercraft in tekkit so i am not using the latest version. if this has been fixed already just ignore this topic and delete it.
thanks -Cheeky
Shnupbups #2
Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:38 PM
This is not a bug. Slowprint does printing by letter, not word, so it prints the letters but then realizes that the rest of the word (in your case is actually an exclamation mark) will not fit in the line, so it takes the whole word and plonks it on the next line, without removing the letters it had already written.
cheekycharlie101 #3
Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:10 AM
but surely if it has already printed the letters it should just print the exclamation mark on the next line. if it prints by letter then once it has printed a set of letters it should not re print them. this should be something that they should look into solving.
thanks -Cheeky
Shnupbups #4
Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:22 AM
but surely if it has already printed the letters it should just print the exclamation mark on the next line. if it prints by letter then once it has printed a set of letters it should not re print them. this should be something that they should look into solving.
thanks -Cheeky
It may print by letter, but when it can't fit it says, "Hey! That word wont make sense or look right if we print ONLY the remaining letters on the next line!", so it prints the whole word. Then since it has short term memory loss, forgets that it had already printed some of the letters BEFORE moving to the next line, so it doesn't remove them. Figuratively speaking, of course. It can't REALLY have short term memory loss, as it is a computer, but it doesn't erase the already printed stuff. An easy solution for your problem would be to simply change it to normal print:
print("Invalid Login Info Or Failed To Connect To Server!")
cheekycharlie101 #5
Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:40 PM
thanks -Cheeky
It may print by letter, but when it can't fit it says, "Hey! That word wont make sense or look right if we print ONLY the remaining letters on the next line!", so it prints the whole word. Then since it has short term memory loss, forgets that it had already printed some of the letters BEFORE moving to the next line, so it doesn't remove them. Figuratively speaking, of course. It can't REALLY have short term memory loss, as it is a computer, but it doesn't erase the already printed stuff. An easy solution for your problem would be to simply change it to normal print:
print("Invalid Login Info Or Failed To Connect To Server!")

ok, well as it is not a bug it might be worthing putting this in suggestions as it would be nice to have that fixed. thanks
-Cheeky