This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
rhyleymaster's profile picture

CCIP Possibly?

Started by rhyleymaster, 09 November 2012 - 06:12 PM
rhyleymaster #1
Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:12 PM
This is a great suggestion.
Instead of having IDs, Why not have IP Adresses based on the X, Y, Z Cords on the map, And Local ones for computers connected to each other.
Not only would this inprove like people making DNS servers in CC, But i think it would make it WAY more realistic.

Just a bland suggestion i came up with on turtle.dig() with faubiguy. (By I i mean we.)
ElvishJerricco #2
Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:27 PM
If it were based on location then whenever a turtle moved its id would change. Plus why add an abstraction like that in the first place? It doesn't make it any more realistic. IP gives you location based addresses simply because that's how ISPs distinguish each other and different people. It's not some automatically existing thing. It's a layer that's programmed in. If you want this type of functionality, it'd be better for you to program a networking system for CC rather than ask that something simple be changed to something simple that doesn't make sense.
BigSHinyToys #3
Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:09 PM
If it were based on location then whenever a turtle moved its id would change. Plus why add an abstraction like that in the first place? It doesn't make it any more realistic. IP gives you location based addresses simply because that's how ISPs distinguish each other and different people. It's not some automatically existing thing. It's a layer that's programmed in. If you want this type of functionality, it'd be better for you to program a networking system for CC rather than ask that something simple be changed to something simple that doesn't make sense.

I have made a routing program like this that works on top of the ID's using GPS.

The main reason GPS could be useful is routing would be based of physical distance to target witch is easer that the routing tables/ equations used by ISP's

there is a link to it in my about me page if you are interested.
basdxz #4
Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:25 PM
This can be done without adding anything to CC, a program is powerful enough to do this.
lieudusty #5
Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:47 PM
I agree with basdxz. You can simply make your own program which will do exactly whats in the OP
MaHuJa #6
Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:24 AM
I am building a tcp/ip variant in computercraft. Minus the bit diagrams of the RFCs of course.
Not sure what I'll be using the the routing protocol yet (rip should rip), but the computer IDs are plenty for my purposes. They'll even work a bit nicer than any position-related addressing, just as the real internet.
D3matt #7
Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:35 AM
Think of it this way. The ID is like a MAC address. You can't change it (I know that's not COMPLETELY true, but bear with me) and it's built into the computer. All protocols must use MAC addresses for low-level communication. The IP address is something you can add yourself, like what you've suggested above. CC only provides a MAC address, it doesn't provide any sort of layer 3 protocol. That's for you to provide.
kazagistar #8
Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:02 PM
If a satellite or long range comms peripheral was made, I hope it would use something like this.
rhyleymaster #9
Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:10 PM
I was actually going to at one point, to make my own Internet in CC, but that was in Immibis' server with Faubiguy. The thing was never released.