This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
TangentDelta's profile picture

How/why do you use computercraft?

Started by TangentDelta, 14 November 2012 - 07:47 AM
TangentDelta #1
Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:47 AM
Just a simple poll so that I can grab some statistical information on the subject. Please answer both questions above. If your reason isn't listed above, please include it below.
KaoS #2
Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:57 AM
I especially use it to violate tekkit block protection :P/>/> forcefields are great for that too along with RP2 block breakers (I want to start a clan of tekkit machinists that build sneaky projects fast and efficiently in the field). I started CC to learn a different kind of language and extend my experience, I have started using it less in MC and more theoretically (Tomass' emulator is my best friend now. that man deserves a medal)

computercraft in combination with RP2 makes utterly amazing things possible (especially with ccSensors and IC2 included). the machines you can make and ideas are all limitless. I guess the mod just encourages creativity which is what I am looking for

thanks Dan200 :)/>/>
billysback #3
Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:13 AM
Other:
I use it as a Lua compiler basically, I just code whatever pops in to my head and post it on the forums if it works.
I chose CC because I could, it had a decent community and I managed to pick up Lua rather quickly, it was a place to output my creativity and programming skills.
Sammich Lord #4
Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:20 AM
I use CC to have some fun coding random scripts. I also go on servers a lot to help newbies out with Lua. I also commonly use the Computer Craft Emulator.
Kingdaro #5
Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:38 AM
I chose "other" on both polls.

I don't really use CC for anything productive, just screwy things like the "wharrgarbl" script in my signature. I wouldn't call my works advanced maths either, haha.

I choose CC over other computer-based mods because, a. I basically grew up with Lua and I can't pass up a chance to use it in minecraft, and b. because other systems, namely Redpower, overcomplicate the process, when all I want is to randomly make "wharrgarbl" vibrate on a screen.

Plus, pretty sure CC has the most features over any other computers mod. Haven't seen anyone beat turtles, monitors, colors and mouse support.

I also would say that the community revolving around the mod is full of amazing, intellectual, and funny people that it's easy to talk and relate to.
Tiin57 #6
Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:54 AM
Plus, pretty sure CC has the most features over any other computers mod. Haven't seen anyone beat turtles, monitors, colors and mouse support.
You just wait… There are some pretty awesome projects brewing on IRC. :P/>/>
kazagistar #7
Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:03 PM
I always liked mods that compactly provided lots of functionality, and CC provides an incredible amount of functionality in a small, clean, simple package.

Plus, I like being the computer wizard on modpack SMP servers.
Kingdaro #8
Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:28 PM
You just wait… There are some pretty awesome projects brewing on IRC. :P/>/>
I mean in other computer mods and not peripherals, unless people are actually making them :/
KaoS #9
Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:29 PM
–snip–
I also would say that the community revolving around the mod is full of amazing, intellectual, and funny people that it's easy to talk and relate to.

you karma farming b*tard :P/>/>
Kingdaro #10
Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:30 PM
you karma farming b*tard :P/>/>
ahahahaha
Tclord #11
Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:16 PM
I'm only aware of redpower and CC as minecraft computer systems. If there are others, I don't know what they are. Redpower might be fun to play with too but it's only current for 1.2.5 and it seems like the mod author has disappeared off the face of the planet or something. So really, for me, CC is the only option available. I wasn't sure I wanted to play with it at first but now that I am messing with it I am enjoying the power it provides. I'll still considering what uses I can put it to so I can't yet say what all I'll use it for. Probably mostly automating things and doing what I can't accomplish with other systems.
KaoS #12
Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:04 AM
I'm only aware of redpower and CC as minecraft computer systems. If there are others, I don't know what they are. Redpower might be fun to play with too but it's only current for 1.2.5 and it seems like the mod author has disappeared off the face of the planet or something. So really, for me, CC is the only option available. I wasn't sure I wanted to play with it at first but now that I am messing with it I am enjoying the power it provides. I'll still considering what uses I can put it to so I can't yet say what all I'll use it for. Probably mostly automating things and doing what I can't accomplish with other systems.

Yeah… sucks that Eloraam hasn't been keeping up :P/>/> forces me to use old MC… her mod, IC2 and CC allow you to make 2.5 million EU out of 1 redstone in a fully automated system and I am not about to give that up
Mendax #13
Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:39 AM
A: Conputercraft is great for just making random stuff, such as SKS-OS (The only DOS I am aware of avalible for CC) and fax machines :P/>/>. Now, I plan to make a remote file storage server compatible with my custom FTP protocol.

B: Computercraft is so much easier to use, it was the first programming I learned and therefore I love it. Redpower computers are overcomplicated with assembly and PowerCraft computers run a modified version of BASIC, which I have also been learning with a C=64 emulator (Yep TangentDelta, C=64 forever xD)

Also, as Lua is such an easy language, I have been teaching my mum to program xD
PixelToast #14
Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:11 AM
i chose computercraft because i accidentally learned lua while messing around with wiremod's E2 chips in garrysmod :P/>/>
Expenox #15
Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:24 PM
I'm a newbie at this stuff, and I really want to learn it, well re-learn it. ;)/>/>