This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
crazybmanp's profile picture

Why does nobody seem to use Git?

Started by crazybmanp, 17 November 2012 - 09:33 AM
crazybmanp #1
Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:33 AM
versioning systems are extremely useful for coding, especially with projects that might need multiple users input. Github can even host your open source repos for free. why do i bring this up, lua is inherently open source. i'm wondering, what are your thoughts on people not using version control with computer craft projects.

My input is that i think i would lead to much more improvements on software, since even simple systems could have multiple people put in pull requests and forks of existing software. and even if someone would like to work on a project alone, it would allow users to get more up-to-date code.
Tiin57 #2
Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:34 AM
versioning systems are extremely useful for coding, especially with projects that might need multiple users input. Github can even host your open source repos for free. why do i bring this up, lua is inherently open source. i'm wondering, what are your thoughts on people not using version control with computer craft projects.

My input is that i think i would lead to much more improvements on software, since even simple systems could have multiple people put in pull requests and forks of existing software. and even if someone would like to work on a project alone, it would allow users to get more up-to-date code.
Most of the projects on here are not open-source (iHomeOS, anyone? :)/>/>) but even if they were, they are too small to be worth it.
Sammich Lord #3
Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

Most of the projects on here are not open-source (iHomeOS, anyone? :)/>/>) but even if they were, they are too small to be worth it.
LOL iHomeOS, prob one of the most stupid posts in the history of the forums. But I do most my big project hosting on Github. CommuteOS was on Github. Github is also about 5 times faster then dropbox.
crazybmanp #4
Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:36 AM
blah~

I would have to disagree, i think even small projects could be improved my many different people being able to help with multiple parts. and projects really cant be too closed source. even most existing systems are taken and improved by others, if only for private use (public forks anyone?)
Tiin57 #5
Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:37 AM
I just think it's a bit of a pain. Git's for large projects. Not one-file programs. Sure, some of the legitimate OS's could use it. No one else needs it, though.
Pharap #6
Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:39 AM
I don't like open source, I think programmers have a right to keep their programs closed source.
I'm ok with people wanting to let others view their code, but I don't like it when people are forced to have their code on display for all to see.
It's one of the few downsides to lua.

And ultimately most projects are done in less than 5 files, lua isn't really grand enough for git hub.
Git hub is more for proper computer programs for real life computers.
crazybmanp #7
Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:40 AM
Hmm, ive used git for many very small projects. i think the amount of files is overcome by the possibility for branching to have a stable release branch and being able to have as many coders as you want editing the same file.
Tiin57 #8
Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:41 AM
I don't like open source, I think programmers have a right to keep their programs closed source.
I'm ok with people wanting to let others view their code, but I don't like it when people are forced to have their code on display for all to see.
I think that you are partly right, but until such time as a proper form of open-source is popular (source upon request for learning), I use and urge others to use open-source.
Edit:
Hmm, ive used git for many very small projects. i think the amount of files is overcome by the possibility for branching to have a stable release branch and being able to have as many coders as you want editing the same file.
I just think it's a waste of time. Pastebin was the most project management I needed when I was using Lua regularly. Of course, now I just use it in-game for quick code. No more published Lua code for me. :)/>/>
Sammich Lord #9
Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:11 AM
I think that you are partly right, but until such time as a proper form of open-source is popular (source upon request for learning), I use and urge others to use open-source.
Edit:
I just think it's a waste of time. Pastebin was the most project management I needed when I was using Lua regularly. Of course, now I just use it in-game for quick code. No more published Lua code for me. :)/>/>
What do you mean by "published" Lua code?
Pharap #10
Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

I'm not against open source, I'm against it being compulsory.
I am fine with people writing programs for the purpose of teaching others, but if I was making something like a game or proper software, I wouldn't want it to be open source. Besides which, it's better to write something for the purpose of demonstration than just open source an actual program, particularly where beginners are concerned.
kazagistar #11
Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:59 AM
I use github, and I release everything open source, but I voted no. Right tool for the right job… often, pastebin is sufficient, and adding the extra waste and lower convenience of github is not worth the cost.

Also, while I think it is somewhat silly, if people wish to not permit redistribution, modified or otherwise, that is their perogative. Having a pulbic fork of non-open-source project is redistribution of copyrighted materials without author's consent, which is illegal. Just because the fork button exists does not mean you are not breaking the law.

Generally, I just don't participate in copyright ego posturing on either side, and license my code as close to public domain as I can.
Tiin57 #12
Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:12 AM
…license my code as close to public domain as I can.
That's the idea. :)/>/>
Espen #13
Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:26 AM
Git isn't necessarily used for shared projects. I myself am using Git just fine offline, as local committing is one of the beauties of Git.
This way I have all the benefits of a history of changesets I ever made to a file or project, with comments and all.
So to answer your stated question:
The conclusion within your very question (that not many people use Git) is not yet established, as you cannot know if they are using it or not.
You can only see if many people are working on shared Git repositories on special platforms like Github and the like.

To answer the question you probably meant (i.e. why aren't there more people collaborating on projects online via Git?):
Because they don't have to? I don't know, for me that's a question like: Why don't more people have umbrellas in case it rains?
No offense, just wondering what your point is with that question, if that IS your question.

If your motivation is to encourage people to collaborate more online on shared projects, then I'm still wondering why you want to do that.
I mean, if I'd want to collaborate online on a shared project with other people, then I would just start doing so. I wouldn't need anyone to make the general suggestion about collaborating on… something… any project, just for the sake of collaboration.

If you get a negative vibe from this then that was not my intention, I'm just confused about the reasoning behind your question and I tried to think of reasonable explanations, but found them lacking. I hope you don't mind. :)/>/>
jesusthekiller #14
Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:24 AM
Well, I use Git for my projects. . .
MaHuJa #15
Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:26 AM
Personally I use svn - but CC projects are so far notoriously under-versioned compared to anything else I do.
KillaVanilla #16
Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:59 PM
Pastebin and Git both have their pros, cons, and uses:

Pastebin has the advantage of being simple to use and being "default".
It also helps that Pastebin was designed for this sort of thing; (relatively) small snippets of code.
However, it doesn't work to well in group projects (which unfortunately are scarce here)

Git has the advantage of allowing cooperation between users.
It also has the advantage of versioning.
However, it is far from simple to use; the developer needs to install Git in the first place, and the end-user needs special software to retrieve programs from the repository.
It's great for large group projects, but is overkill for small solo projects.

In summary, they both have their merits, but the choice between the two should be obvious based on what you're going to use it for.
Espen #17
Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:12 AM
However, it is far from simple to use; the developer needs to install Git in the first place, and the end-user needs special software to retrieve programs from the repository.
It's great for large group projects, but is overkill for small solo projects.
That's not necessarily true, as e.g. with Github the end user can download the repository as a .zip file.
And about ease of use: It depends where you're coming from. If you're a developer who's familiar with versioning in general, then Git is actually pretty easy to get into.
If you've never used versioning before, then you might have to learn some basic concepts first. But even then Git is very easy to use, as that is one of it's tenets.

In summary, they both have their merits, but the choice between the two should be obvious based on what you're going to use it for.
Amen ;)/>/>
Leo Verto #18
Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:29 AM
I'm using Github for NukeShell, and the commit system has already gotten very handy.
I like the ability to manage all the files, to compare new versions to older ones and how easily I can expand the team (eg. branches).