This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Dlcruz129's profile picture

Getting serious about programming

Started by Dlcruz129, 30 November 2012 - 02:31 PM
Dlcruz129 #1
Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:31 PM
I (of course) know Lua, and I know Java, but I want to start doing serious stuff with programming. Java is somewhat advanced, but all the Java programs I've seen are cheesy as crap (besides Minecraft). I wanted to ask you guys, what language should I learn? I am strongly considering C++, but if there's another language you guys think I should look into, I'll consider it. Oh, and I've seen people say "OMG WHY U LEARN OTHER LANGUAGE LUA IS BEST :D/> :D/> :D/>", and let me just tell you, its NOT.It is user-friendly and I definitely think its the best choice for ComputerCraft, but I would never consider trying to make money off of a Lua game. I want to make a serious game. Please leave your ideas in the comments.

Dlcruz129

P.S. This is not a goodbye, I'll still be using Lua for ComputerCraft, and I'll stay on the forums, I just want to branch out a bit.
Pantomchap #2
Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:35 PM
I would choose C# XNA, but it is kind of hard to use. Java might be better, but it takes longer to make a game.
Dlcruz129 #3
Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:36 PM
I would choose C# XNA, but it is kind of hard to use. Java might be better, but it takes longer to make a game.

Read the first sentence :P/>. I know Java, I just think its kinda an "Intermediate" language. I wanna learn a hardcore, professional language.
KillaVanilla #4
Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:41 PM
Learn C++. I did, and I wrote a program!

…and then I spent a few hours debugging it. Then I completely forgot about it.

Still, it was fun.
Dlcruz129 #5
Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:43 PM
Learn C++. I did, and I wrote a program!

…and then I spent a few hours debugging it. Then I completely forgot about it.

Still, it was fun.

Lol ya, I'm leaning towards C++. Its one of the most well-known languages.
je06 #6
Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:59 PM
You can try Python. I now some python and it can be challenging!
P.S. it has a print function used in the same way as lua
Dlcruz129 #7
Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:03 PM
You can try Python. I now some python and it can be challenging!
P.S. it has a print function used in the same way as lua

Been there, done that.
Bubba #8
Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:09 PM
Go for either C++, PHP/SQL if you want to try your hand at web developing, or C. Any of the three (well four technically, but SQL is more of a tool than a full-fledged language in my eyes) are enormously powerful if you learn how to use them correctly, although I would say of the three PHP/SQL is the most limited. On the other hand, it is also easier to learn.
Dlcruz129 #9
Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:16 PM
Go for either C++, PHP/SQL if you want to try your hand at web developing, or C. Any of the three are enormously powerful if you learn how to use them correctly, although I would say of the three PHP/SQL is the most limited. On the other hand, it is also easier to learn.

Oh, I didn't think about PHP. I might learn that, but I think I'm gonna stick with C++ right now. I'll definitely learn PHP in a week when I'm bored of C++ :P/>.
Orwell #10
Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:22 PM
Get better at Java :P/> Calling Java an intermediate programming language seems kinda wrong in my opinion. It might be intermediate to learn it at first. But getting really good at lower level languages like Java or any C variant takes a lot of practice and knowledge. And as you learn about the in depth workings of such programming languages (stuff like pointers, memory allocations, but also computer science stuff like binay heaps and hash maps), you gain knowledge that you can transfer to any language, also C++, assembly, … name it. This could even count for Lua at some depth.
Bubba #11
Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:27 PM
Go for either C++, PHP/SQL if you want to try your hand at web developing, or C. Any of the three are enormously powerful if you learn how to use them correctly, although I would say of the three PHP/SQL is the most limited. On the other hand, it is also easier to learn.

Oh, I didn't think about PHP. I might learn that, but I think I'm gonna stick with C++ right now. I'll definitely learn PHP in a week when I'm bored of C++ :P/>.

Well you might be able to learn the absolute basics of C++ in a week, but there's so much to the language and so many different aspects to it that a week would barely have you scratching the surface of it.

Get better at Java :P/> Calling Java an intermediate programming language seems kinda wrong in my opinion. It might be intermediate to learn it at first. But getting really good at lower level languages like Java or any C variant takes a lot of practice and knowledge. And as you learn about the in depth workings of such programming languages (stuff like pointers, memory allocations, but also computer science stuff like binay heaps and hash maps), you gain knowledge that you can transfer to any language, also C++, assembly, … name it. This could even count for Lua at some depth.

Also this. I am still new to Java, but I'm certain that it is anything but an intermediate language. I wouldn't qualify the power of languages as the difficulty of its syntax, as Java can do nearly everything C++ or C can do, if not everything - there's nothing I have encountered yet that is impossible in Java except perhaps speed optimization through native code, but of course even that may be possible. The difference with Java is that it is quite a bit easier to learn than C or C++, so I would recommend sticking with it until you are really good at it.

Hope this advice helps :)/>
Orwell #12
Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:28 PM
*snip*
Amen.
Dlcruz129 #13
Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Oh, I didn't think about PHP. I might learn that, but I think I'm gonna stick with C++ right now. I'll definitely learn PHP in a week when I'm bored of C++ :P/>/>.

Well you might be able to learn the absolute basics of C++ in a week, but there's so much to the language and so many different aspects to it that a week would barely have you scratching the surface of it.

Get better at Java :P/>/> Calling Java an intermediate programming language seems kinda wrong in my opinion. It might be intermediate to learn it at first. But getting really good at lower level languages like Java or any C variant takes a lot of practice and knowledge. And as you learn about the in depth workings of such programming languages (stuff like pointers, memory allocations, but also computer science stuff like binay heaps and hash maps), you gain knowledge that you can transfer to any language, also C++, assembly, … name it. This could even count for Lua at some depth.

Also this. I am still new to Java, but I'm certain that it is anything but an intermediate language. I wouldn't qualify the power of languages as the difficulty of its syntax, as Java can do nearly everything C++ or C can do, if not everything - there's nothing I have encountered yet that is impossible in Java except perhaps speed optimization through native code, but of course even that may be possible. The difference with Java is that it is quite a bit easier to learn than C or C++, so I would recommend sticking with it until you are really good at it.

Hope this advice helps :)/>/>

I was joking about only using C++ for a week. I just think Java is a little cheesy. The example programs I've seen are pretty ugly, I want to learn C++ and make advanced 3d games. (I have a friend who works in computer graphics/animation who would be more than happy to make some models).
Bubba #14
Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:22 PM
I was joking about only using C++ for a week. I just think Java is a little cheesy. The example programs I've seen are pretty ugly, I want to learn C++ and make advanced 3d games. (I have a friend who works in computer graphics/animation who would be more than happy to make some models).

Please don't take this offensively but here are my thoughts on this.

If you think C++ is a pretty language in comparison to Java, then I'm not sure what C++ code you're looking at but give me a link because it must have been coded by jesus. And 3D games in C++? Oh my god you are in for a long haul. I don't want to be a downer or anything, but C++ is probably one of the harder languages to learn for 3D graphics. The reason developers use it is because it is machine optimized and also because it provides access to really low level machine code. There's just so much stuff to learn that it takes years to even approach the level where you can make a descent game.

I don't mean to put you off your goal of learning C++ as it could serve you very well if you are incredibly patient and diligent. If you don't think that you're going to stick with it for more than a year though, I wouldn't suggest it as a great programming language to learn for what you want to do.
billysback #15
Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:23 AM
Java can be rather complex;
If you want to go in to 3D programming and know some Java then firstly, learn more Java, then secondly I recently downloaded this engine which is like a new version of NetBeans with a pre-installed OpenAL window and an engine to use this window with ease. It's called "jmoneyengine"
1v2 #16
Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:31 AM
Stick with Java.
Jasonfran #17
Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:41 AM
The reason you haven't seen any cool things made with Java besides minecraft is because Java is very very slow. Hence why you think minecraft would be easy to run when you actually need decent PC specs to get 100fps. Whereas if it was made in C++ it would run a lot faster because there is nothing in between the program and PC because Java needs a runtime environment to transform Java into something the PC understands. C# with XNA is the best thing as it is fast and similar to Java.

Also look at the visual versions of C++, C# and Visual Basic as they are good starting points form understanding the code
billysback #18
Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:44 AM
However it means that it can easily support any OS that Java supports, which is all of them (I believe)
This is why it is used; no need to port.

Also what makes it lag is it's crappy garbage collection :P/>
(and Minecraft is terribly unoptimized, if Notch was creating it now and new how big it would get then I'm sure it would be much easier to run.)
Bubba #19
Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:45 AM
The reason you haven't seen any cool things made with Java besides minecraft is because Java is very very slow. Hence why you think minecraft would be easy to run when you actually need decent PC specs to get 100fps. Whereas if it was made in C++ it would run a lot faster because there is nothing in between the program and PC because Java needs a runtime environment to transform Java into something the PC understands. C# with XNA is the best thing as it is fast and similar to Java.

Edit: ninja'd by billysack

True, but the fantastic thing about Java is that it runs on any platform that supports a Java interpreter and therefore requires the developer to only write a program once.
Jasonfran #20
Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:15 AM

Edit: ninja'd by billysack

True, but the fantastic thing about Java is that it runs on any platform that supports a Java interpreter and therefore requires the developer to only write a program once.
I agree
1v2 #21
Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

Also look at the visual versions of C++, C# and Visual Basic as they are good starting points form understanding the code

The statement that Java is slow is very outdated, people still get that misconception from the shitty mobile applications people create using it. Anyone who knows anything about Java these days will tell you it's not slow anymore.
Jasonfran #22
Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

The statement that Java is slow is very outdated, people still get that misconception from the shitty mobile applications people create using it. Anyone who knows anything about Java these days will tell you it's not slow anymore.
Its definitely quicker, but vastly slower than C++ and C#
Lyqyd #23
Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:57 AM
No, it's not. Not anymore. The difference is way smaller than you seem to think. Java isn't all that slow anymore. Speed comparisons that are recent enough to be relevant show very little speed difference. Depending on what you're benchmarking, I believe Java even beats out C++ in some cases.
1v2 #24
Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:37 AM
Have a look at this. This was 2007. You can say a lot of things about Java, but not that its slow.
Mads #25
Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:49 AM
C++. Btw, Minecraft is written like shit. Have you ever looked at the source? It also uses outdated OpenGL. Thankfully, that will be fixed in MC 1.5.
cmurtheepic #26
Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:04 AM
DON'T use C++
IT IS SOOOOOOOOOO BUGY IN THE SHELL/CONSOLE
it is ridiculous
ITCOMES UP WITH RANDOM SYNTAX ERRORS THAT DON'T EVEN EXIST
Bubba #27
Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:05 AM
DON'T use C++
IT IS SOOOOOOOOOO BUGY IN THE SHELL/CONSOLE
it is ridiculous
ITCOMES UP WITH RANDOM SYNTAX ERRORS THAT DON'T EVEN EXIST

*facepalm* Don't feed the troll guys. Just don't.

Also this:
Spoiler
Dlcruz129 #28
Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:03 AM
Let me rephrase my question:
What language should I use to make a nice 3D game?
Tiin57 #29
Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:15 AM
Javajavajavajava.
Java. :P/>
Or C#.
Or C++.
You could try PHP, but it might not work well.
Orwell #30
Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:16 AM
Just stick to Java. I had to create a 3D rendering engine in C++ last year at uni and it took me over 3 months. There's so much to know and to learn about game making that the language hardly even matters (as longs it's not too high level). Of course, if you want to optimize, then it matters. But then again, having an in depth understanding of programming and game making in general is a much more important factor in optimizing than the language you're using.
Bubba #31
Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:16 AM
Javajavajavajava.
Java. :P/>
Or C#.
Or C++.
You could try PHP, but it might not work well.

PHP? For 3D? Possible, but a major waste of time. If you wanted to do it in a web environment, Java is still the way to go.
Tiin57 #32
Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:17 AM
-snip-
PHP? For 3D? Possible, but a major waste of time. If you wanted to do it in a web environment, Java is still the way to go.
That was a joke.
I need to convey those better.
Dlcruz129 #33
Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:21 AM
-snip-
That was a joke.

Yeah, you do.

On-Topic: Alright, I'll stick with Java and LWJGL. I just wasn't sure if Java could support hi-def 3D models, like in Valve games, which is what I was looking for.
Jasonfran #34
Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:48 AM
-snip-
That was a joke.

Yeah, you do.

On-Topic: Alright, I'll stick with Java and LWJGL. I just wasn't sure if Java could support hi-def 3D models, like in Valve games, which is what I was looking for.
Java is best suited for 2D or mild 3D. Don't be expecting to make something like half life in Java
Dlcruz129 #35
Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:11 AM
-snip-
That was a joke.

Yeah, you do.

Java is best suited for 2D or mild 3D. Don't be expecting to make something like half life in Java

That's the problem. I want to make good 3D, not 3D. I'm talking about making great games that can make me a bit of money.
Bubba #36
Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:53 AM
That's the problem. I want to make good 3D, not 3D. I'm talking about making great games that can make me a bit of money.

Ah. Well in that case prepare for a long haul. You could probably use a 3D engine such as Ogre3D to ease the process a little bit, but it's still going to take a hell of a lot of work.
Dlcruz129 #37
Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Ah. Well in that case prepare for a long haul. You could probably use a 3D engine such as Ogre3D to ease the process a little bit, but it's still going to take a hell of a lot of work.

I guess I'll stick with Java/LWJGL as I already know it. Can someone please point me in the right direction for designing models? I know Java supports .obj files, so can someone recommend a good program for making them?
billysback #38
Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:19 PM
Blender, supports like everything
http://www.blender.org/
Dlcruz129 #39
Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:21 PM
Blender, supports like everything
http://www.blender.org/

I've heard of Blender, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something better. Thanks, I'll start learning this immediately.
billysback #40
Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:23 PM
If you want something free then almost everywhere suggests Blender, though I suggest looking at tutorials unless you are familiar with 3D modelling, it's not exactly easy to jump in and create an entity strait away…
Dlcruz129 #41
Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:25 PM
If you want something free then almost everywhere suggests Blender, though I suggest looking at tutorials unless you are familiar with 3D modelling, it's not exactly easy to jump in and create an entity strait away…

Of course it's not easy, and I have 0 experience with 3D models. I'm gonna take some tutorials.
Jasonfran #42
Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

Of course it's not easy, and I have 0 experience with 3D models. I'm gonna take some tutorials.
Hard but fun
nitrogenfingers #43
Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:17 AM
Learning to create a nice 3D game from scratch requires a few things in my experience. Mathematical inclination, spatial reasoning and strong project management seem to be some of the most important skills (if you have a java background this shouldn't be an issue).
You'll need either a budget to get artwork or some artistic know-how. You can learn to make 3D models in programs like Blender, 3DSMax or Maya with a few weeks study, but texturing and rigging are often stumbling blocks. If you're not that familiar with how 3D games work, learning to 3D model can be great start as it gets you into the mindset of performing transformations on your meshes and rigs, which compose a lot of the logic of the game's graphical display.

For coding proper I can't recommend core C++ and libraries as it's just too much to deal with. You'll have to write your own shaders and unless you have a background in linear algebra this will be a challenge. Use an engine, or a framework. C#'s XNA is my framework of choice, but the basic effects are too simple, and you'll have to get to know HLSL. I've heard Torque is quite powerful if limited in documentation. You've got Ogre3D and GameMaker which I don't know much about but they're both reputable. Unity is probably the best known but I just can't stand the paradigm and developers I know that use it gripe about the instability of the development environment. Otherwise you can start looking into OpenGL or DirectX directly, but you'll have the least support here so this is the most challenging option.

Avoid scripting languages. They're very nice to write in but the few times I've seen people try to use them, the limitations of low-level control like memory management and strong typing increasingly get in the way and graphically intensive applications will chug. Lua, Python, Haskell… fun to learn, useful for a lot of things. 3D games programming isn't one of them.

Start small.Take a simple idea that preferably has simple or limited interactions (think interface, collision detection, graphical requirements- techical complexity), and try to get that working before brining larger ideas to life.

It takes time, and don't be afraid to ask for help. Tutorials are abound on the internet on this subject, especially if you're developing for a mobile device. Forums like the Creator Club and good ol' Stack Overflow are excellent sources when stuck.

I'm pessimistic this will be of any help, but regardless of what route you take, I wish you every success :)/>
Mikeemoo #44
Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:05 AM
This is such a fail thread. The OP is so incredibly naive.

Aside from the languages DESIGNED to be simple scripting languages, a programming language is as good as the programmer. If you think Java isn't advanced, it's because you're not using it in an advanced way.

Go back to school!
Jasonfran #45
Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

Aside from the languages DESIGNED to be simple scripting languages, a programming language is as good as the programmer. If you think Java isn't advanced, it's because you're not using it in an advanced way.

Go back to school!
Already been established
Mikeemoo #46
Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:17 AM

Go back to school!
Already been established

Sure, just adding my opinion.
Dlcruz129 #47
Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:25 AM
You've got Ogre3D and GameMaker which I don't know much about but they're both reputable.

Please stop before you make me throw up :P/>. Gamemaker is terrible, It was how I first started making games. Its an excellent starting point, its mostly drag-and-drop and very basic scripting, but there are so many limitations and the price goes up by the day. It was great for when I first got into game development, but its shitty as hell now.
Mads #48
Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:09 AM
For 3D, just use C++ with OpenGL(GLFW & GLEW)
pruby #49
Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Java runs arithmetic very fast these days, and adapts well to different platforms. These days real-time compilers often outperform languages pre-compiled to machine code.

Where it falls down is that the language itself (as opposed to the engine) and the standard patterns are optimised for business use. That is, they put maintainability and understandability miles ahead of speed. There is a speed cost to working through abstract interfaces and Java's heavyweight OO structure. While you could drop the idea that a 3d point has to be an object with its own methods and full encapsulation, Java developers just wouldn't consider it - goes against all the training and expectations of the language. The Java runtime can do a lot to make your code faster, but it can't fundamentally restructure your code.
AndreWalia #50
Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:57 PM
use unity
Dlcruz129 #51
Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:30 PM
use unity

Oh ya, I might look into that. I tried to use it after gamemaker, big mistake. But maybe now with some actual programming experience…
ekzane #52
Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:55 AM
Just use C# and Blender for modelling. Works good for beginners.
Later you can advance to C++ and use some of the experience you gained in C#.

mh, before you go make a 3D game, what about making a 2D game first? It's still quite a challenge :)/>
billysback #53
Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:59 AM
Yes, look into understanding the physics and general mechanics of games before you jump in, build up your knowledge of how they should work, even for parts of the code you are letting things such as engines or libraries help you with, this can help you not only further customize your code if you create some parts yourself but also understand how things work better so that you can use them better or to their full extent.
Dlcruz129 #54
Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:19 PM
I'm not a n00b to Java, I've been using it for a while now. I've made games in it, they were shitty graphics and terrible storylines, but they worked, I was just wondering if there was a language or library that worked better for 3D games. I'm gonna stick with Java and LWJGL, especially now that I know how to import .obj files from Blender :D/>.
D3matt #55
Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:37 PM
C# with XNA.

You can download Visual C# Express and XNA Game Studio Express for free from Microsoft for a pretty solid IDE to work with, as well.
AndreWalia #56
Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:49 PM
C# with XNA.

You can download Visual C# Express and XNA Game Studio Express for free from Microsoft for a pretty solid IDE to work with, as well.

I've NEVER heard of even a game made w/ C#
Jasonfran #57
Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:02 PM
C# with XNA.

I've NEVER heard of even a game made w/ C#
You have. If you have Xbox then most of the arcade games are made in C# with XNA.
TheOddByte #58
Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:06 AM
Why don´t you learn GameMonkey Script? :P/>
No but C++ is probably the best as many has mentioned.
TheOddByte #59
Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:10 AM
I'm not a n00b to Java, I've been using it for a while now. I've made games in it, they were shitty graphics and terrible storylines, but they worked, I was just wondering if there was a language or library that worked better for 3D games. I'm gonna stick with Java and LWJGL, especially now that I know how to import .obj files from Blender :D/>.
Can I test some of the games you've created?
'Cause I wanna see how good you are with java.
I don't know java yet but I will start learning it next year I think.
Dlcruz129 #60
Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:04 AM
I'm not a n00b to Java, I've been using it for a while now. I've made games in it, they were shitty graphics and terrible storylines, but they worked, I was just wondering if there was a language or library that worked better for 3D games. I'm gonna stick with Java and LWJGL, especially now that I know how to import .obj files from Blender :D/>/>.

They're shitty but they work. I'll look around and see if I can find them. If you're interested in game development, look up TheCodingUniverse on YouTube. That's where I started. But learn the basics first, like syntax, basic functions like import, what a class, interface, or package is, etc.
billysback #61
Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:32 AM
Although I never actually read an "official Java tutorial" (I read one tutorial to create a plugin for this thing ages ago, that's it) on another forum I go on it is often suggested that they look at "thenewbostons" tutorials, 1 to 20 or 30 apparently.

There meant to be good, though I have never personally watched them.
rhyleymaster #62
Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:37 AM
I learned C++, BOO, and Javascript. And I'm on the Dev. team for this game: www.indiedb.com/games/battle-arms
Sadly, We haven't had much time to update.
cheekycharlie101 #63
Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:45 AM
Not sure if this counts but have a look at garrys mod. that is one OF THE BEST 3d games i have seen and take a look at how thats coded. try making some mods for it or something?:P/>
TheOddByte #64
Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:52 AM
I'm not a n00b to Java, I've been using it for a while now. I've made games in it, they were shitty graphics and terrible storylines, but they worked, I was just wondering if there was a language or library that worked better for 3D games. I'm gonna stick with Java and LWJGL, especially now that I know how to import .obj files from Blender :D/>/>.

They're shitty but they work. I'll look around and see if I can find them. If you're interested in game development, look up TheCodingUniverse on YouTube. That's where I started. But learn the basics first, like syntax, basic functions like import, what a class, interface, or package is, etc.
Thanks!
Will check it out.
Off the topic: Winter break is coming soon , anyone that plays LoL?
because I don't feel like programming then and I'd love to have some from here to
play with.
Send me a message if you wanna play with me and your LoL IGN
so I can add you as a friend. ;)/>