This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
malakai's profile picture

An new slightly advanced suck function

Started by malakai, 30 November 2012 - 08:31 PM
malakai #1
Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:31 PM
My suggestion is for 3 new functions
turtle.suckType()
turtle.suckUpType()
turtle.suckDownType()

Works the same way as a normal suck command but will only suck items that match the items in the turtles selected item slot.

returns 3 values
true and false are as normal but will also return nil and not suck anything if the selected item slot is empty.
JJRcop #2
Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:35 PM
I think you can suck up items into an empty spot, and compare them from there.

The turtles do not need to become magic.
Sebra #3
Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:01 AM
Suggested already.
This needed when you cannot .suck all and .compare. This needed when you want to .suck more Coal from the Chest for example. So you will not get anything but Coal.
ChunLing #4
Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:59 AM
Shouldn't you just use separate chests, then? Single chests aren't really very big, and you can have a turtle be able to access four at a time (per move). That means that, when you do a dense bit of turtle friendly storage, the inventories are somewhat prone to overflow problems which would be exacerbated by mixing multiple item types in chests.

Aside from that, you can get this exact functionality by mapping your slots, sucking into the slot that you want to increase, and then dropping any surplus that got sucked into other slots.
Sebra #5
Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:38 AM
Possible, but not convenient. And I'm not about programming convenient. You can also suggest to place RP2 filter, target item inside and give it a pulse. It would be inconvenient for another reason.
ChunLing #6
Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:25 AM
What does that mean, "I'm not about programming convenient"? And what other reason?
Tiin57 #7
Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:34 AM
What does that mean, "I'm not about programming convenient"? And what other reason?
I think it means he doesn't like to program conveniently? Which doesn't really make sense.
Sebra #8
Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:37 AM
I mean moving whole chest content to another chest just to search for some item is not good.
Other reasons are RP2 public still in 1.2.5 and placement orientation is not good controllable yet.

@tiin57, Is this phrase so funny in english?
ChunLing #9
Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:54 AM
…it, it just doesn't mean what you just explained yourself as having meant, is all.