This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
BigSHinyToys's profile picture

Black and white computers having lightGray and Gray colors

Started by BigSHinyToys, 03 December 2012 - 08:19 PM
BigSHinyToys #1
Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:19 PM
Black and white computer are capable of black and white for text or background so black text on white background or white text on black the other combinations are not very useful black on black and white on white. My suggestion is make the computer more gray scale by adding gray and lightGray colors options. I think this would allow programs that are more TUI (similar to GUI) to be cross computer compatible working on both color computer and black and white.

Having more color combinations would allow easer definition of selected button or option and allow definition of separate sections example windows like interfaces.Programs like my mouse file browser could be adapted easily to a gray scale system and use tab / keyboard short cuts to navigate.
Cruor #2
Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:24 PM
I support gray scales for normal comps! Because it makes sense :3
Cranium #3
Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:32 AM
I support gray scale and mouse support for non advanced computers.
Tiin57 #4
Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:49 AM
I support gray scale for regular computers.
#campaign
Sammich Lord #5
Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:54 AM
Gimme grey colors!
Y.Petremann #6
Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:02 PM
I think that grayscale support should be natural, havng white on white or black on black should write in gray, so no more problem and no big change in the apis and programs
Sebra #7
Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:27 PM
We have two degrees of gray besides black and white. Let BW comps and turtles use it. I think change in CC code would be minimal.
Shnupbups #8
Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:48 PM
I eighth this!
It just makes sense. Cloudy, dan, DO IT.
Lyqyd #9
Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:20 AM
I like it the way it is, actually. It makes more sense as just black and white, since early computer monitors could only light up or leave dark any given pixel on the screen. I think it's a good design decision to leave them fairly limited. Gold isn't all that rare anyhow.
Kingdaro #10
Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:36 AM
I'm sort of indifferent; as nice as it sounds, it just doesn't fit with CC's style in my opinion. I wouldn't object to this being implemented, though.
BigSHinyToys #11
Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:49 AM
I like it the way it is, actually. It makes more sense as just black and white, since early computer monitors could only light up or leave dark any given pixel on the screen. I think it's a good design decision to leave them fairly limited. Gold isn't all that rare anyhow.
Unlike color monitors, which display text and graphics in multiple colors through the use of alternating-intensity red, green, and blue phosphors, monochrome monitors have only one color of phosphor (mono means "one", and chrome means "color"). All text and graphics are displayed in that color. Some monitors have the ability to vary the brightness of individual pixels, thereby creating the illusion of depth and color, exactly like a black-and-white television.
Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monochrome_monitor

Yes early computers were only black and white with no scale but then gray scale systems were invented. The way it is currently is perfectly fine and yes gold is not that rare especially considering that a turtle can mine for you.

To clarify I am not saying a full set of 16 gray colors comparable with the 16 colors. I am just asking for the inclusion if the gray and lightGray colors making a total of 4 colors.

This is something that would be nice to have but ether way is fine just wanted to see people opinions.
Jasonfran #12
Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:27 AM
It would be nice but I don't know if it would feel right. But advanced computers need more colours
Cranium #13
Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:45 AM
But advanced computers need more colours
You already have 16 colors. That's as many as are in Minecraft. Why would you need to add more?
ChunLing #14
Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:03 AM
Almost positive that there are more than 16 colors in Minecraft. Just sayin'.
Cranium #15
Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:15 AM
16 dyes, 16 types of wool, 16 colors. Other colors are not "pure" colors.
It still remains though, what would you need with more colors? 16 is plenty for making any good looking GUI. We don't need to make a huge color swath tailored just for the computers.

Now that I think of it, almost all mods that I can think of only use 16 colors too.
ChunLing #16
Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:19 PM
Ah, now I get what your saying. Me, I'm not full-on for the extra colors, but then I just use CC for the wee robots.
PixelToast #17
Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:33 PM
i think we sould have a 8 bit color scheme on advanced computers compared to the pesky 4 bit one it currently has :c
and atleast 8 shades of grey on a monochrome / normal computer
JJRcop #18
Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:52 PM
I support greyscale on normal computers.
Sebra #19
Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:59 PM
Can the poll be added?

1. Let it be Black and White.
2. Add two Gray colors, please.
3. Make it 16 colors of Gray.
4. I'm able to distinguish 65536 Gray colors, I Want it %)
Cloudy #20
Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:28 PM
Polls are useless. I don't even look at them. As for greyscale computers - I'm in two minds. There were computers with only two colour support.
Luanub #21
Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:52 PM
Hmm make them monochrome like the real old school monitors