This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
dextermb's profile picture

Owner Chip...

Started by dextermb, 11 December 2012 - 05:33 AM
dextermb #1
Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:33 AM
My idea is…
You would make an item that you'd right click on your turtle. This would then bring up a Gui with "Name of turtle" this would be pulled from "label set [name]".
[indent=1]It would have the text above the turtle like with players.[/indent]
[indent=1]This way it would make it easy to see where/which turtle that is…[/indent]
[indent=2]Multiplayer Owner Chip - Once owner chip is added to a turtle, when someone else shift right-click/left-click it would bring up the owner of the turtles name in a gui[/indent]
- - -
xoo
- - -

- = Nothing
x = Redstone
oo = Stone
Sammich Lord #2
Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:36 AM
This would be nice as a peripheral but I highly doubt the developers are going to add this to the base mod.
dextermb #3
Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:47 AM
This would be nice as a peripheral but I highly doubt the developers are going to add this to the base mod.

Guess you are saying i'd have to find a modder to make an addon?
PixelToast #4
Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:54 AM
i dont like this idea verry nuch .-.
mostly because its a peripheral, and peripherals just take up space preventing you from putting on other cool stuff >_>
Tiin57 #5
Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:45 AM
I might do this… Personal ids sound fun.
Cloudy #6
Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:50 AM
I don't get what advantages this has over typing "id" or making your script display the name.
KaoS #7
Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:57 AM
I don't get what advantages this has over typing "id" or making your script display the name.

basically once enabled the only way to open the correct interface would be with the chip, if you don't have it you cannot use the turtle
CoolisTheName007 #8
Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:02 AM
snip
Yeah, I thought about non-posting because I only thought about protecting programs, which can be done with passwords, but since turtles have an inventory and aren't lockable like normal chests in multiplayer, this feature, or a similar protection, would be useful.
If anyone thinks that turtles don't need to be protected, let me remind everyone that RP2 filters only have a 9 slots inventory and still can be protected, and that turtles can be used much like RP2 elements, so probably they are on the same level as chest protections are in terms of overpowerment, i.e. on the acceptable level.
Cloudy #9
Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

basically once enabled the only way to open the correct interface would be with the chip, if you don't have it you cannot use the turtle

That isn't what is being suggested at all. What is being suggested, is if you shift right click on a turtle with an owner chip, it says who owns the turtle. Nothing to do with protecting the turtle.
KaoS #10
Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:14 PM
That isn't what is being suggested at all. What is being suggested, is if you shift right click on a turtle with an owner chip, it says who owns the turtle. Nothing to do with protecting the turtle.

Multiplayer Owner Chip - Once owner chip is added to a turtle, when someone else shift right-click/left-click it would bring up the owner of the turtles name in a gui

Perhaps I misunderstood but that is what I understand this to be
immibis #11
Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:57 AM
Multiplayer Owner Chip - Once owner chip is added to a turtle, when someone else shift right-click/left-click it would bring up the owner of the turtles name in a gui

Perhaps I misunderstood but that is what I understand this to be
Bolded the relevant part. "This turtle is owned by immibis" not "You can't access this turtle because it's owned by immibis."
Nobody said anything about protection, except you.
KaoS #12
Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:22 AM
fair enough, I assumed it would replace the default interface
CoolisTheName007 #13
Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:04 AM
Well, the whole what-he-meant-was discussion apart, and going straight to the only logical, useful feature the original post may refer to, I jut realized that while most dangerous items can be protected in servers by plug-ins, turtles, which can be massive destruction tools, don't have any simple built-in protection. Sure, you can do a password system that allows you to lock the screen and run programs in the background, but that's not that trivial and not built in. If ever anything like this gets done, it should allow groups of users, not just one, and should need the intervention of the original turtle-placer; it's still a pain to set multiple protections with lwc.
Cloudy #14
Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:07 AM
Until forge has permission support, I'm not going to do anything with protection. You can protect your turtles yourself.
immibis #15
Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:47 PM
It would, but only when sneaking.
ChunLing #16
Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:54 PM
Ultimately, the only way to make turtles really secure would involve making them unbreakable. And that's so far beyond OP as to invite just ridicule on anyone that suggested it.

Turtles can get stolen (and hacking them at that point is beyond easy), there's really no way around it. There are some tricks you can play to make stealing them more difficult/dangerous, alert you as to when and where a turtle stopped being under your control, and so forth. But a pick has a range of four compared to a turtle's action/detection range of one.
CoolisTheName007 #17
Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:36 PM
snip
Most times in servers, precious machinery has protections that stop people from opening inventories, destroying or even withdrawing by any other method items from blocks! Just because it's a movable one, a turtle should not be an exception. I don't mean that every server would have this protection, it should be configurable, but on peaceful servers this feature would be much welcome.

It would, but only when sneaking.

I don't think that slash is specific enough for that affirmation.
Cloudy #18
Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:30 PM
Snip

I've not seen any vanilla mods doing that. You sure it isn't a bukkit thing?
dissy #19
Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

Bolded the relevant part. "This turtle is owned by immibis" not "You can't access this turtle because it's owned by immibis."

I bolded a bit more, since it too is relivant and changes the meaning completely when left out.

If the owner clicks, it opens. If someone else clicks, it tells them who owns it instead of opening.
Is that not a form of protection? I believe Cloudy's comment applies. (Although unfortunately for the poster, in the negative ;)/>
CoolisTheName007 #20
Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:33 PM
snip
It is.
immibis #21
Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

I bolded a bit more, since it too is relivant and changes the meaning completely when left out.

If the owner clicks, it opens. If someone else clicks, it tells them who owns it instead of opening.
Is that not a form of protection? I believe Cloudy's comment applies. (Although unfortunately for the poster, in the negative ;)/>/>
He said shift-click, so normal clicks would not be affected.
CoolisTheName007 #22
Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:17 AM
snip
shift right-click/left-click -> (shift right-click)/(left-click) is one possible view. C'mon, can't we both be doing something more productive than starting whatever this is because of the ambiguities of written language?
immibis #23
Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:27 AM
snip
shift right-click/left-click -> (shift right-click)/(left-click) is one possible view. C'mon, can't we both be doing something more productive than starting whatever this is because of the ambiguities of written language?
Still doesn't matter, since you non-shift right-click to open the GUI.
Cloudy #24
Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

Then it's nothing for vanilla CC to be concerned about. A porter could easily implement that type of protection.
ChunLing #25
Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:33 PM
Everyone's being so snippy, I can't follow what's being discussed :wacko:/>