This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
i_am_th0r's profile picture

Flash Drive or ports

Started by i_am_th0r, 11 December 2012 - 10:43 AM
i_am_th0r #1
Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:44 AM
sorry if this was already posted somewhere.But it would be cool if there was like usb ports u could plug into the computer like mp3's or flahs drives to put files on to other than a floppy disk.I have more ideas but i usually get stucked when typing a sugestionj.

soon to include png's of items im suggesting to show a better idea
Tiin57 #2
Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:44 PM
sorry if this was already posted somewhere.But it would be cool if there was like usb ports u could plug into the computer like mp3's or flahs drives to put files on to other than a floppy disk.I have more ideas but i usually get stucked when typing a sugestionj.

soon to include png's of items im suggesting to show a better idea
Floppy disks have the same functionality. What more is there to the suggestion? (An hour later… :/)
Cloudy #3
Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:13 PM
Nah. We have disks. No point duplicating functionality.
Left4Cake #4
Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:02 AM
Now maybe disks of different storage that require more martial to make might be worth something.
Bubba #5
Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:07 AM
Now maybe disks of different storage that require more martial to make might be worth something.

I'm assuming that martial means material but if so, then what's the point? If you want a recipe change then I think there are a few mods out there which you can do that with. And as for different storage capabilities well, as it is lua files hardly take any space at all. Why would you want to limit the capacity of floppies?
OmegaVest #6
Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:12 AM
Floppies are limited, but it's likely you will never reach the limit. Making a bigger drive would be almost useless.

Unless!!!, by some forge miracle, you could use it to transfer programs from one save to another, like the blueprint library from Buildcraft. Supposedly this could work with SMP, too, but I never trued that out.
Bubba #7
Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:15 AM
Floppies are limited, but it's likely you will never reach the limit. Making a bigger drive would be almost useless.

Unless!!!, by some forge miracle, you could use it to transfer programs from one save to another, like the blueprint library from Buildcraft. Supposedly this could work with SMP, too, but I never trued that out.

If somebody wants super limited floppies then I suppose there is the option to do so in the config, but the question remains as to why on earth you would want that. And as for the idea of cross-world programs, I think you could probably just use the HTTP api for that :)/>
OmegaVest #8
Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:17 AM
Oh, you could, but that requires the HTTP api to be active, and not everyone wants that. I was just throwing out an idea that might make the suggestion. . . more agreeable, I guess?
Bubba #9
Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:20 AM
Oh, you could, but that requires the HTTP api to be active, and not everyone wants that. I was just throwing out an idea that might make the suggestion. . . more agreeable, I guess?
True. I wouldn't mind having the option for cross-world file transfer. Just saying that when there's a will there's a way, even if that way is not the most agreeable.