This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
kornichen's profile picture

KreOS 3.01 Skylark - Old traditions newly defined

Started by kornichen, 15 December 2012 - 02:55 AM
kornichen #1
Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

Old traditions newly defined

What is this?
This is KreOS 3.0 Skylark. It is the next version of KreOS. It is innovative and stylish but yet traditional.

Screenshot?
Always, Sir.

Spoiler

Download?
Of course, Sir.

Pastebin: AEwwKKd1

pastebin run AEwwKKd1

It is updating automatically.

Feedback is always desired. Please notice that this is currently in Alpha stage. There are bugs, there are missing features. They will be added in the future. I chose this way of releasing KreOS 3.0 Skylark because of you. The community is the best way to get feedback. This is currently on GitHub in the KreOS beta branch. If you find any bugs or if you have feature requests please add them on GitHub by clicking here. Write what you want and tag it either with bug or with feature request. Thank you very much!
Edited on 04 April 2015 - 10:54 AM
kornichen #2
Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:59 AM
Version 1.3 released. Please say if you like and what should be better or implementated ;)/>
FuuuAInfiniteLoop(F.A.I.L) #3
Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:08 AM
you copied NDFOS xDDD but this is better, see the suggestion that mecha post in NDF-OS
kornichen #4
Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:20 AM
you copied NDFOS xDDD but this is better, see the suggestion that mecha post in NDF-OS

All code is made by my self and I have talked to the developer of NDF OS and we would create a mix of our systems ;)/>
GravityScore #5
Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:34 AM
I'd love to see Firewolf in this OS! Looks fantastic so far (albeit, simmilar to NDF-OS, but its good you're sharing ideas)!
tom2018 #6
Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:37 AM
feel free to use the email program in my signature
also you could add a calculator.
and whats visualkorn? rip off of visualbasic?
NDFJay #7
Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:51 AM
this look familiar…
kornichen #8
Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:10 AM
@tom2018 Yeah - I will look at your E-Mail client to morrow because it is 21:08 (9:08 PM) here in germany.
@GravityScore I will implementate Firewolf in the next version.

@tom2018 VisualKorn will be a program that you can use to create graphical programs easily.

And the best feature in the new version: A GRAPHICAL APPSTORE! :D/>/>
theoriginalbit #9
Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:27 PM
  • Screensavers (can be changed in the new config).
Please send me your ideas or programs that I am allowed to use in the OS!

if you wish you may use my screensaver api :)/> link to my api page can be found in my signature. it has different display modes, currently 5 more will be added soon (a little quicker if there are any that you want specifically) it also allows for login required and hashed logins. :)/> of course if you want to do your own login you can easily tell my API not to require login.

EDIT: I also have a version API that you can use to push out updates if the user has the HTTP API enabled. if you wish to use it :)/>
1lann #10
Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:39 AM
Not sure if it's just me butt… I cant even log in. The OS freezes. sys:9 Too long without yielding
NDFJay #11
Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:56 AM
Not sure if it's just me butt… I cant even log in. The OS freezes. sys:9 Too long without yielding

its not just you, theres a while true do statement for the login input fields thats not yielding, I dont think he defined the input params to initiate user input

just comment out the entire login section of the /kreos/sys file and you'll be good to go
theoriginalbit #12
Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:07 AM

its not just you, theres a while true do statement for the login input fields thats not yielding, I dont think he defined the input params to initiate user input

just comment out the entire login section of the /kreos/sys file and you'll be good to go

Warning, off topic
Interesting that your helping ppl that are using the competition ;)/> :P/>
NDFJay #13
Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

Warning, off topic
Interesting that your helping ppl that are using the competition ;)/> :P/>

As cliche as this is going to sound… Competition or not , we're a community, its what we do ^_^/> haha
theoriginalbit #14
Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:27 AM
As cliche as this is going to sound… Competition or not , we're a community, its what we do ^_^/> haha

i kno just messing with ya :P/>
NDFJay #15
Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:31 AM
i kno just messing with ya :P/>

I know ^_^/>
kornichen #16
Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:34 AM
Hello!

I've fixed the problem with login.
Please do the following steps to fix it:
  1. Enter delete /kreos/config
  2. Enter pastebin get zCABGvsi /kreos/config
And the problem is fixed!
And if you download the OS now via the installer, the problem is also fixed ;)/>

Best regards,
kornichen

Edit: I have found another bug: You cannot open the control panel. I will fix it now.
Edit 2: Now all bugs are fixed ;)/>
InputUsername #17
Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:54 AM
This does, indeed, look a lot like NDF-OS. That's not necessarily a bad thing, because the things you promise to add will give its own spin to it.

I did find a bug with color selection: some texts in the OS will change color but some texts remain cyan. Hope you could fix this.

Good OS, sad that the forums are flooded with them.
NDFJay #18
Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:13 AM
Please can people stop commenting saying this looks alot like my os, it basically is… with a few changes
NDFJay #19
Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:14 AM
everytime I look at this post I see more and more of the Ideas ive posted on mine, thats quite anoying actually
LWSrocks #20
Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:20 PM
Hi, ComputerCraft noob here. How do I install the OS?
NDFJay #21
Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

Make sure you have http enabled in your computercraft config then type

pastebin get NAgM24pa install

into the terminal
Zambonie #22
Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:19 AM
This is just like the concept im making for my os!
kornichen #23
Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:04 PM
Version 1.5 is here!

This are the new features:
  • Wallpapers that can be selected in the Control Panel
  • - wallpaper1.nfp and wallpaper2.nfp are provided - Compatible with NPaintPro pictures
  • Changed the GUI slightly
  • Added MineCeption
  • Added Calculator
  • New Logo
remiX #24
Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:58 AM
Such a copy of NDF-OS :P/>
kornichen #25
Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:08 AM
Such a copy of NDF-OS :P/>

It is not a copy of NDF-OS!

I started the development of this long before NDF-OS was published.
And the code is complete another.
Doyle3694 #26
Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:15 AM
does it actually need to be named install? or is it just an example?
kornichen #27
Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:18 AM
does it actually need to be named install? or is it just an example?

It is just an example ;)/>
ObtusePenguin #28
Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:09 PM
I really want to try this operating system/shell out, but whenever I download the installer and run it, all I see is a white screen with the words 'KREOS' in black letters. Nothing further happens.

What is supposed to happen normally, and do you have any idea how to fix the problem I'm in?

I should mention that I'm very very new to Lua programming and the operating of these computers so forgive me if this seems amateur.

Thanks!
Mandrake Fernflower #29
Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:12 PM
The text editor is named TACO.. Random mutch? I will call my next server program POTATO or PINEAPPLE or HOTDOG. Lol HOTDOG
Cranium #30
Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:23 PM
The text editor is named TACO.. Random mutch? I will call my next server program POTATO or PINEAPPLE or HOTDOG. Lol HOTDOG
Someone wrote TACO, and he just included it in KREOS. TACO is an acronym for something I think, but you would have to ask the creator.
kornichen #31
Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:04 PM
I really want to try this operating system/shell out, but whenever I download the installer and run it, all I see is a white screen with the words 'KREOS' in black letters. Nothing further happens.

What is supposed to happen normally, and do you have any idea how to fix the problem I'm in?

I should mention that I'm very very new to Lua programming and the operating of these computers so forgive me if this seems amateur.

Thanks!

Http must be enabled. Then it should work.
ObtusePenguin #32
Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:30 AM
I fixed the problem! I had HTTP enabled, but i overlooked needing a ADVANCED computer instead of a normal one. Cheers :)/>
kornichen #33
Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:42 AM
I fixed the problem! I had HTTP enabled, but i overlooked needing a ADVANCED computer instead of a normal one. Cheers :)/>/>

Good that it works ;)/>

Thanks for using!
HotGirlEAN #34
Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:02 PM
-snip-
(not sure what's going on here after reading all the replies)
CodeMachine #35
Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:58 PM
Nice… Very Nice…
kornichen #36
Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:47 AM
Version 1.6 is released!

New features:

- Add your own desktop icons that are painted in NPaintPro to the desktop.
- Maximum of 6 icons on the desktop.
- Maximum size of 8 x 6 pixel per icon.
- Add your own paint path (Example: /kreos/pictures/icon1.nfp)
- Add your own program path (Example: /kreos/programs/browser)
- Add your own text (Example: File Browser)
- Better Update System
- Implementated Advanced Help Program
- Implementated SmartPaste
CodeMachine #37
Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:51 PM
On the latest update I got install:16: assertion failed! This was in the install program, when it was downloading file 2/34… If it helps I was using cc-emu.

EDIT:
I tested in Minecraft, same result :(/>
gngz #38
Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:35 PM
On the latest update I got install:16: assertion failed! This was in the install program, when it was downloading file 2/34… If it helps I was using cc-emu.

EDIT:
I tested in Minecraft, same result :(/>

The same for me.
kornichen #39
Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:40 AM
Bug is fixed ;)/>

Happy new year :D/>
BustedEarLobes #40
Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:13 PM
Bug is fixed ;)/>

Happy new year :D/>

I honestly like it. However, I would like you to consider some points. Before you read this, understand I am not trying to slander your OS or patronize you in any way and I hope it's constructive.

In my personal opinion, I feel it's too bugged. I feel that you should spend time in the next update to fix the bugs I found within the first few minutes of using it. So far, I've encountered probably 10-20 bugs. On my computer, I can't delete an icon, and for some reason, the text editor fails to load. As I was writing that sentence, I went back to verify other bugs but got locked out from the "games" and "programs" dropdown, the clock stopped running, and only the "K" dropdown works. On top of that, rebooting says that there is an update, but when I update, it still says there is an update available. When left on for a few minutes the icons flicker, and clicking gets very lagged and it does not catch up to the point where clicking "Games" will take about 10 seconds to actually drop down.

Although you may think of me being a jerk, I just wanted you to realize when you have to stop adding features, sit down, look at your code, and go bug hunting.

Aside from the bugs, I really DO like the OS. I like the custom icons, the customization features, and the programs it comes with (When they work :)/>).

Now for a tip for the context menu. If you pay attention, and go to your desktop(If you use Windows) and right click in the middle of it, the context menu appears lower left of your mouse. However, if you right click near the right side or bottom of the screen, the position of the context menu changes in correlation with the mouse. That way, it doesn't break or wrap through the left side of the screen (Like yours).

I understand you spent probably hours working on this OS, and I feel you did a very good job. Those were just a few thoughts I think you should consider.

+1 to you!

kornichen #41
Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:58 PM
Hello!

Thank you for your long reply. I am sorry if I forgot to answer to a bug you write but I will explain something shortly:

1. The bug with the context menus K PROGRAMS and GAMES I know and I am working on a fix but that will comes first maybe at the 10th.
2. The bug that everthing begins to blink after sometime … I dont know how to fix it but I will do my very best and try to fix it. I someone have an idea how to fix it please say it to me.
3. That you cant delete icons is a problem I dont know yet but I will try to fix it very soon.

The other bugs or ideas will I fix or implementate in the next version but please look at the buglist on the first site of this thread.

Best regards!
CastleMan2000 #42
Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:49 AM
Shouldn't Terminal be a computer and Games a joystick? Just a suggestion.
BustedEarLobes #43
Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:26 AM
Hello!

Thank you for your long reply. I am sorry if I forgot to answer to a bug you write but I will explain something shortly:

1. The bug with the context menus K PROGRAMS and GAMES I know and I am working on a fix but that will comes first maybe at the 10th.
2. The bug that everthing begins to blink after sometime … I dont know how to fix it but I will do my very best and try to fix it. I someone have an idea how to fix it please say it to me.
3. That you cant delete icons is a problem I dont know yet but I will try to fix it very soon.

The other bugs or ideas will I fix or implementate in the next version but please look at the buglist on the first site of this thread.

Best regards!
Opps! I did not see that two bugs were already reported. Nevertheless, I'm glad you read my comment. As for the blinking problem, I have a couple of things you can try. Keep in mind that I'm typing this message on an iPad so I cannot see your code. The bug could be an overflow of data and the computer can't keep up with the constantly updating clock, so I recommend adding a sleep(0) to yield the os.pullEvent() so each event can catch up. If that doesn't work, make sure your all your functions have a return to avoid stack overflows which may or may not be causing it. Personally, I think it's a yield issue but I might look at the code tomorrow.
kornichen #44
Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:46 AM
Hello!

Best regards!
Opps! I did not see that two bugs were already reported. Nevertheless, I'm glad you read my comment. As for the blinking problem, I have a couple of things you can try. Keep in mind that I'm typing this message on an iPad so I cannot see your code. The bug could be an overflow of data and the computer can't keep up with the constantly updating clock, so I recommend adding a sleep(0) to yield the os.pullEvent() so each event can catch up. If that doesn't work, make sure your all your functions have a return to avoid stack overflows which may or may not be causing it. Personally, I think it's a yield issue but I might look at the code tomorrow.

I fixed the blink problem. Just a sleep(0.01) in the main loop. The fix will be released in the next version in a few days.

Shouldn't Terminal be a computer and Games a joystick? Just a suggestion.

You can add your own icons :D/> … but the next version will come with some icons ;)/>
gngz #45
Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:47 AM
You have another bug, after i installed your os, it says to update. When i update its says again…

Regards,
kornichen #46
Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:55 AM
You have another bug, after i installed your os, it says to update. When i update its says again…

Regards,

The bug is already listed and fixed and the bugfix will be released in the next version.
CastleMan2000 #47
Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:28 AM
This is glitchy. I got the installer and it froze at 28 files. Last time I tried it and it successfully installed, then said there was an update available. It had 'Update' and 'Later'. Neither option worked.

UPDATE: Ran install two more times, got all files, stuck at full KreOS logo.

UPDATE THE SECOND: It works now. IDK why it was so glitchy.

SUPER-ULTRA UPDATASAURUS 2000: TACO won't work when I click on it in the programs context menu.
Keridos #48
Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:21 PM
Is there any program for this that could use monitors to show sensordata?
kornichen #49
Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:30 PM
This is glitchy. I got the installer and it froze at 28 files. Last time I tried it and it successfully installed, then said there was an update available. It had 'Update' and 'Later'. Neither option worked.

UPDATE: Ran install two more times, got all files, stuck at full KreOS logo.

UPDATE THE SECOND: It works now. IDK why it was so glitchy.

SUPER-ULTRA UPDATASAURUS 2000: TACO won't work when I click on it in the programs context menu.

I am on holiday at the moment but I will do a little bit on KREOS but not too much. I will be at home again on the 5th of january. I am going to publish the KREOS Version 1.7 on 6th of january.
That TACO won't work is new for me but I will check it out and fix it if the problem is on my PC, too.

The updater does not work right is a bug that is already listed in the buglist.

Is there any program for this that could use monitors to show sensordata?

No but thank you for the idea. I will write such a program but I have to now what sensordatas should shown on the desktop. The program won't be implementated in the next OS version but will be downloadable in the new Application Store (App Store) that is coming in the next version of the OS. The name is KAPPS - Yes, with K and double P and not like Caps.

Best regards,
kornichen
Rwkeith #50
Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:46 PM
People seem to not read your bug list =P I love what your doing here and it's actually the first 'OS' I've used for CC. I like the details as well. I'm interested in seeing more detail in the menu's too. I'm sure you've got plans for this already, but I will definitely continue using this.
kornichen #51
Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:16 PM
People seem to not read your bug list =P I love what your doing here and it's actually the first 'OS' I've used for CC. I like the details as well. I'm interested in seeing more detail in the menu's too. I'm sure you've got plans for this already, but I will definitely continue using this.

Thank you!

Yes, I have planned things for the menu: There won't be all the programs in the |Programs| list at but there will be categories and then you will see the programs in that categories and you will be able to add your own programs to the list automatically.
Besides new programs that will be implementated in the future won't be all in the programs list because they will be to big and not everybody needs all the programs. New programs will be added to the app store KAPPS mostly.
kornichen #52
Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:39 PM
Version 1.7 is coming soon!

Graphical App Store called KAPPS

- Download Applications.

- Upload your own applications.

Copy & Paste in the whole system

- Copy text, pictures and more from one program into the other.

- Unfortunately only for programs that support KREOS Copy & Paste.

Changes on the gui

- The |Programs| menu will be divided into categories.

- The |Games| menu will be removed and added as a category of the |Programs| menu.

Bugfixes

- Please look at the bug list on the first site of this thread.

! ! ! Please send me your ideas and programs that I should add to the OS ! ! !
nateracecar5 #53
Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Type the pastebin code in the top into your computer. If you don't have http enabled, then you can't do this. To fix that (in windows) hold the windows key and press r. Then type in %appdata% and hit enter. Then double click .minecraft/config/computercraft and on the line that says enable_http=false change that to true. To do enable http on Mac, shift+apple+g and type ~/Library/Application Support/ and hit go. Then double click on the minecraft folder and in the config folder double click computercraft and change enable_http to true. If you have Ubuntu go to the home folder and hit CTRL+H then go to the .minecraft folder and do the exact same thing for windows from there. Hope this helped!
CastleMan2000 #54
Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:26 AM
Can you please fix the installer?! It keeps freezing at 28 files! I can't install it because it's so glitchy :/

Once again, it has taken me several tries to install. It works once it has, though. It keeps saying there is an update available, and asks me if I want to update. I say yes, reboots, asks again. WTF. It's 1.6, so I don't know why it keeps asking.
kornichen #55
Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:37 AM
Please look at the buglist first!!! The bugs will all be fixed in the next version as you can see in the buglist :D/>
BustedEarLobes #56
Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:08 AM
Please look at the buglist first!!! The bugs will all be fixed in the next version as you can see in the buglist :D/>

I know you want to wait until you finish the other features, but at this point, you REALLY need to release a minor version of the OS as it's too bugged to wait. It's like Window's Vista allover again…

Like I said earlier though, I really do like it (When it works…)
RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely #57
Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:50 PM
Looks really nice… Found a couple bugs already:
The installer sort-of glitched out at #8 (started a new line) and around #20 (numbers got kinda screwey).
Trying to create an "empty" shortcut errored (paintutils:16 attempt to index ?)
After creating an "empty" shortcut, the OS will refuse to start (will error once reached desktop)

Off topic: You should name the app store KRAPP store (KREOS Application store). lol
kornichen #58
Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

I know you want to wait until you finish the other features, but at this point, you REALLY need to release a minor version of the OS as it's too bugged to wait. It's like Window's Vista allover again…

Like I said earlier though, I really do like it (When it works…)

Will be released today :D/>
Skullblade #59
Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:05 AM
ONE:cool looking
TWO:complete copy of NDFOS's GUI/setup (I guess it's ok since Ndf stopped)
THREE:Slow down and bug test your work! You need to stop just racing to get more features and iron out the bugs. If you make one mistake with the OS it will be broken, forever!(name a non existing icon, perm crash)
Not mean just realistic
kornichen #60
Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:02 AM
Hello!

Version 1.7 is out with bugfixes and a new programs menu but the app store is comming with multitasking in 2.0!!!
GravityScore #61
Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:51 AM
Hey kornichen!

I got bored today programming anything in Lua, so I thought I'd improve my HTML and CSS skills by writing you a website for KREOS! :P/>

I'll host it all for you. You can visit it at kreos.site88.net!

Hope you like it. PM me with anything you want changed, or if you want FTP access to the files. It'd be great if you could include it in the OP post, etc…

Thanks,
- GravityScore
theoriginalbit #62
Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:54 AM
haha wow you did get bored :P/>

EDIT: Me when I get bored - I offer to help him with fixing his bugs…………………………………………
zacpier #63
Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:46 PM
Hey kornichen!

I got bored today programming anything in Lua, so I thought I'd improve my HTML and CSS skills by writing you a website for KREOS! :P/>

Hope you like it. PM me with anything you want changed, or if you want FTP access to the files. It'd be great if you could include it in the OP post, etc…

Thanks,
- GravityScore

That is one amazing 404 page!

(Could you rehost it? I'd like to see it D:)

Edit: wow firefox decided that amazing should be amassing :/
GravityScore #64
Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:10 PM
Hey kornichen!

Thanks,
- GravityScore

That is one amazing 404 page!

(Could you rehost it? I'd like to see it D:)

Edit: wow firefox decided that amazing should be amassing :/

Yes, I sorta violated the terms of service on 000webhost somehow…. Not sure how….

I'm in the process of finding a new web host which isn't so restrictive.
GravityScore #65
Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:30 AM
Ok. I couldn't be bothered using a new host - I tried a few and they were all pretty crap. FTP not working, not letting me upload files, saying I had reached the disk space limit (which was 10gb). I've stuck with 000webhost.

New site can be found at: kreos.host56.com
kornichen #66
Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:36 AM
I you want I will host it on my webserver!!
BustedEarLobes #67
Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:29 PM
Ok. I couldn't be bothered using a new host - I tried a few and they were all pretty crap. FTP not working, not letting me upload files, saying I had reached the disk space limit (which was 10gb). I've stuck with 000webhost.

Haha, your CSS is small. But the site looks good
theoriginalbit #68
Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Where does it say that CSS has to be large? I've made many a site with little CSS and no HTML styles and it still looks good. And alternatively i've made a website that its css was ~1000 lines.
Lyqyd #69
Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:56 PM
I'm curious as to what makes this OS particularly innovative.
kornichen #70
Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

I have took this slogan because I have not found any other OS with all features that this OS have:

Mouse File Browser
TACO Text Editor
NPaintPro
Firewolf
Screensaver
Calculator (design changed for KREOS)
Advanced Help Program
SmartPaste
Games
Pong
MineCeption
Accounts
Multiuser Support
Graphical User Interface with full mouse support
Changeble colors
Add your own desktop icons
darkroom #71
Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:29 AM
I don't really feel that others programs in your OS makes yours innovative its pretty much a shell.run with some fancy UI nothing…. Innovative
kornichen #72
Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:44 AM
If you found a bug post it here, please:

https://github.com/k...en/KREOS/issues
Imm0rta1 #73
Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:38 AM
…but the app store is comming with multitasking in 2.0!!!

Really look forward to seeing this.

KreOS is my unrivalled favourite OS for ComputerCraft, and I'll use it for as long as it's developed. 10/10

On another note, it's actually more secure than a lot of the advertised "protected" OS's. Good job!
Lyqyd #74
Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

I have took this slogan because I have not found any other OS with all features that this OS have:

Mouse File Browser
TACO Text Editor
NPaintPro
Firewolf
Screensaver
Calculator (design changed for KREOS)
Advanced Help Program
SmartPaste
Games
Pong
MineCeption
Accounts
Multiuser Support
Changeble colors

Sooo… Nothing genuinely innovative? ;)/> Without add-on programs, just things that are part of the OS itself:

Screensaver
SmartPaste
Accounts
Multiuser Support
Changeble colors

And remove all the stuff that's been done before, or is already in other OSs (that I've seen):

SmartPaste

All I'm trying to say is that adding a bunch of features that already exist elsewhere doesn't make it an innovative OS. An innovate OS would need genuinely new concepts, stuff that hadn't been done before. Having lots of features makes it feature-filled, or feature-rich. I suppose it would be reasonable to claim that it "may be the most feature-rich OS on the forums!", but it doesn't really qualify for innovative. Basically, I just disagree with your word choice. :)/>
theoriginalbit #75
Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:44 AM
On another note, it's actually more secure than a lot of the advertised "protected" OS's. Good job!

You can thank me for that one ;)/>
BustedEarLobes #76
Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Where does it say that CSS has to be large? I've made many a site with little CSS and no HTML styles and it still looks good. And alternatively i've made a website that its css was ~1000 lines.

I didn't mean it to come across like that. I meant it like "Holy crap, the website is so good for a CSS so small!".
theoriginalbit #77
Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:11 PM
- snip -

I didn't mean it to come across like that. I meant it like "Holy crap, the website is so good for a CSS so small!".
Ahh ok :)/>
GravityScore #78
Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Cranium #79
Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:13 AM
I do agree with Lyqyd somewhat. "Innovative" is probably not the best choice of words to describe this 'OS'. Feature rich, yes, but not innovative.
INNOVATIVE:
Adjective.
  • (of a product, idea, etc.) Featuring new methods; advanced and original.
Not trying to bash your program, just suggesting a description change.
GeniusName3 #80
Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:28 AM
This is truly the best OS maybe one of the only OS's out there that are good :)/>
coryb2007 #81
Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:59 AM
This is a great OS, I just have a couple questions, are there any plans to have a program which has support for printing? And is there anyway to still be able to type like "edit test", so far I see support for printing in that but it would be awesome if it could be added to the text editor.
dmitchell94 #82
Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:26 PM
This has many great features but there are some improvments that it could have. id love to be able to print from the text editor and i would like a easy way to add my own programs to the os! in fact how would i add a program to the os! im trying to add my email program to the drop down list of internet and im getting errors because of adding it! There needs to be some tutorial on how to add a program or a easy way to add one via the os!

EDIT: I see you have Github and a wiki! PLEASE ADD A LINK TO THE WIKI and add some info so people new to the OS can learn how to use it!!!

EDIT 2: I found out how to add a icon and had the path go to my program i added but when i click the icon nothing happens
kornichen #83
Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:49 AM
Hello!

I am working on 2.0 and on the wiki :D/>
Will be linked very soon !
theoriginalbit #84
Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:51 AM
EDIT: I see you have Github and a wiki! PLEASE ADD A LINK TO THE WIKI and add some info so people new to the OS can learn how to use it!!!
Can thank me for that one too :P/>
dmitchell94 #85
Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:25 AM
Hello!

I am working on 2.0 and on the wiki :D/>
Will be linked very soon !

Great once i understand the os more ill be willing to help maintain the wiki! just need a way to learn the os before i try to help others learn it. When do you expect 2.0 to be ready? need and testers?
kornichen #86
Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:16 PM
Version 2.0 release date: 01. Febuary 2013
kornichen #87
Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:55 AM
Hello!

I've got a problem and maybe someone can help me.

I think it is not possible to create multitasking because with coroutines etc. the system (by the way it is completely rewritten) starts to flicker.
Maybe someone got an idea.
dmitchell94 #88
Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:18 PM
wish i could help im still learning lua let along how to program in computercraft
RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely #89
Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:32 PM
I think it is not possible to create multitasking because with coroutines etc. the system (by the way it is completely rewritten) starts to flicker.
RaSOS (see signature) does multitasking with coroutines. It only occasionally flickers. Of course, the programs are designed specifically to run on RaSOS and don't really do much processing, but it's implement-able.
BigSHinyToys #90
Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:34 PM
Hello!

depends on how you implement it. if you have a frame buffer table that all term calls are redirected to then any program that is term call heavy will flicker as the computer can't react fast enough to both draw on screen and update the buffer. on the other hand if you enforced that all programs must react to a "redraw" event then you don't have to hold a buffer of every program. it is definitely possible to make programs run in a multi task environment making it run smooth and fast is all about optimization. also every call to term.clear() normally causes a black frame to pop up just overwriting the last frame means there is less obvious shudder.
kornichen #91
Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:25 PM
Thank you for your tipps but if I have seen it right it is not possible to do multitasking with programs that aren't special written for that.

But…

Hello!

depends on how you implement it. if you have a frame buffer table that all term calls are redirected to then any program that is term call heavy will flicker as the computer can't react fast enough to both draw on screen and update the buffer. on the other hand if you enforced that all programs must react to a "redraw" event then you don't have to hold a buffer of every program. it is definitely possible to make programs run in a multi task environment making it run smooth and fast is all about optimization. also every call to term.clear() normally causes a black frame to pop up just overwriting the last frame means there is less obvious shudder.

There is maybe a way but I am sorry but I don't know how to do this… :(/>
RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely #92
Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:23 PM
Thank you for your tipps but if I have seen it right it is not possible to do multitasking with programs that aren't special written for that.
No, it's definitely possible. The only reason RaSOS can't use normal programs is because it uses a fancy rendering system. If you're just using a normal system, multitasking is very possible. Look up "Taskforce" or "LyqydOS". I'm not they multitask, but I'm fairly sure they do.
kornichen #93
Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:17 AM
No, it's definitely possible. The only reason RaSOS can't use normal programs is because it uses a fancy rendering system. If you're just using a normal system, multitasking is very possible. Look up "Taskforce" or "LyqydOS". I'm not they multitask, but I'm fairly sure they do.

Hello!

I have tryed it with using Taskforce but there is unfortunately the same problem: it begins to flicker.
But Maybe you can help me :D/>?
Kron #94
Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:38 PM
I almost flipped when I saw "Korn". I thought you stole my username, lol!

Anyways, pretty cool OS! Different color scheme would be nice though :D/>

Overall, 9.5/10!
gknova61 #95
Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:22 PM
Is this OS abandoned?
theoriginalbit #96
Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:29 PM
Is this OS abandoned?
Version 2.0 release date: 01. Febuary 2013
Mads #97
Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:12 AM
How about testing a program before releasing it?
Lyqyd #98
Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

Hello!

I have tryed it with using Taskforce but there is unfortunately the same problem: it begins to flicker.
But Maybe you can help me :D/>?

Have you checked out LyqydOS? You should see very little if any flickering, and it most certainly multitasks.
xInDiGo #99
Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:22 PM
what are some example uses of an OS in computercraft? my main interest is in turtles, but i'm sure theres much, much more. please, enlighten me!
BigSHinyToys #100
Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:33 PM
what are some example uses of an OS in computercraft? my main interest is in turtles, but i'm sure theres much, much more. please, enlighten me!
1) easy manipulation of files and folder with color and mouse orientated.
2) running multiple programs in parallel.
3) easily expandable network.
4) useful applications like npaintpro.

So mainly ease of use and tasking.
NeverCast #101
Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:35 PM
It's so people can click their mouse and not type things.

OS is a laziness tool :D/>

nPaintPro can be used without an OS
Networks can be expanded without an OS
Multiple programs can be run without an OS.. just not as cleanly :P/>
Easy manipulation..

They are all just programs, which is exactly what any of those OS's are.
I'm yet to see a real OS in CC.

So to refine my answer. The point of an OS is to make your life as an end user easier, by integrating a bunch of programs in to the same place.
xInDiGo #102
Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:41 PM
i see. i guess i probably don't use computer craft as much as other players. like i said my main focus is on turtles. i don't know why anybody would need a paint program in minecraft? probably just because amiright?
Cranium #103
Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:53 PM
probably just because amiright?
YOu got it. Why not make something if you have the tools to do so?
theoriginalbit #104
Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:07 PM
I don't know why anybody would need a paint program in minecraft?
I use NPaintPro all the time, to design graphics for my programs easily.
Grim Reaper #105
Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:07 PM
probably just because amiright?
YOu got it. Why not make something if you have the tools to do so?

Why not kill someone if you have the tools do so?

Nah, I'm just messing with you. Those things are entirely different. Programming, for me at least, is all about building what your imagination creates and watching it work for real.
kornichen #106
Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:31 AM
Hello!

I am thinking about don't adding multitasking to KREOS because I have tryed it with many different ways but every time it begans to flicker or does not work right.
Indeed I could write it so that only programs that are made for KREOS will work but that is not the sense of KREOS because every program should work.

If someone does have an idea how to solve the problem please write it :D/>
Lyqyd #107
Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:41 AM
Hello!

I am thinking about don't adding multitasking to KREOS because I have tryed it with many different ways but every time it begans to flicker or does not work right.
Indeed I could write it so that only programs that are made for KREOS will work but that is not the sense of KREOS because every program should work.

If someone does have an idea how to solve the problem please write it :D/>/>

Have you taken a look at the current version of LyqydOS? It's relatively flicker-free and it uses a unique method of accomplishing it. Try it out and see if there's any flickering. :)/>
kornichen #108
Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:19 PM
Hello!

If someone does have an idea how to solve the problem please write it :D/>/>

Have you taken a look at the current version of LyqydOS? It's relatively flicker-free and it uses a unique method of accomplishing it. Try it out and see if there's any flickering. :)/>

Hello!

You're right. There is nothing flickering. :D/>
Maybe I am allowed to take parts of your Code and change it for example that it gets colored like KREOS at the moment and I will change some things.
Certainly I would give credits to you.
Lyqyd #109
Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:38 AM
Only if you take down the bit about it being the most innovative OS. ;)/>

Heh. Sure, go for it! You're free to use the code and change it. Credit is always appreciated. :)/>
kornichen #110
Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:40 PM
Release date of version 2.0 changed. Sorry !

Release Date: 5.02.2013
CastleMan2000 #111
Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:01 AM
Release date of version 2.0 changed. Sorry !

Release Date: 5.02.2013

WHAT? Or is that in the day/month/year format?
kornichen #112
Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:24 AM
Day Month :D/>
theoriginalbit #113
Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:08 PM
WHAT? Or is that in the day/month/year format?
Clearly an American :P/>
Skullblade #114
Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:22 PM
Yep us rebel Americans going by an illogical idiotic system that is different from the rest of the world…we like confusing conversions that we cant teach young kids….
mitterdoo #115
Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:36 PM
I have a functional stop screen (blue screen) API but if you want me to I can edit it to fit KREOS.
CastleMan2000 #116
Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:25 AM
Yes, I am american, but as I'm learning French I've only recently found out about day/month/year. It actually seems more logical, shortest unit to longest.
anonimo182 #117
Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:50 AM
Just tried it, again to check, and it really is bugged!

More than 4 bugs found
kornichen #118
Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:48 AM
Hello!

I know that KREOS 2.0 should be released today but I have so litte time to work on in because I've to do very much work for school so I won't be released today but on my birthday on the 22. of February 2013.

So, I'm sorry but with 2.0 there will be another nice new feature :D/>
NeptunasLT #119
Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:07 AM
To install the os You need:
Type in your PC: pastebin get NAgM24pa install
then type in: install
To Enable HTTPS go to %appdata%>.ccemu>EmulatorSettings.cfg and paste this stuff:

# Configuration file
# Generated on 13.2.8 15.04

####################
# general
####################

general {
# The disk space limit for computers, in bytes (0 is unlimited)
computerSpaceLimit=2097152
# The colour of the Emulator background (blue component);[def: 163]
emulator_backgroundColour_b=163
# The colour of the Emulator background (green component);[def: 122]
emulator_backgroundColour_g=122
# The colour of the Emulator background (red component);[def: 48]
emulator_backgroundColour_r=48
# The amount of scaling that is applied to the Computer screens;[def: 1]
emulator_guiScale=1
# Enable the "http" API on Computers;[def: false]
enableAPI_http=true
# The colour of the Computer screen 'frame' when focused (blue component);[def: 0]
terminal_focusColour_b=0
# The colour of the Computer screen 'frame' when focused (green component);[def: 0]
terminal_focusColour_g=0
# The colour of the Computer screen 'frame' when focused (red component);[def: 255]
terminal_focusColour_r=255
# The height of Computer screens, in characters;[def: 19]
terminal_height=19
# The width of Computer screens, in characters;[def: 51]
terminal_width=51
}
theoriginalbit #120
Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:50 AM
To install the os You need:
Type in your PC: pastebin get NAgM24pa install
then type in: install
To Enable HTTPS go to %appdata%>.ccemu>EmulatorSettings.cfg and paste this stuff:

-snip-
Dude what's your point? Don't just do random useless posts on things just so you can post your own topic.
NeptunasLT #121
Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:28 AM
Know One BUG when you create icon and not setting picture target and name it's just crashes and you need reinstall pls fix it.
FuuuAInfiniteLoop(F.A.I.L) #122
Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:30 AM
You can use my compressor in my signature
ajpage77 #123
Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:41 AM
Hey, I recieved a problem that when it said "Would you lke to Update" I clicked it and it gave me this error message and sent me back to CraftOS.
Whats the problem? I really need to update this
theoriginalbit #124
Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:43 AM
Know One BUG when you create icon and not setting picture target and name it's just crashes and you need reinstall pls fix it.
Its a known bug that is apparently fixed in the next version…

Hey, I recieved a problem that when it said "Would you lke to Update" I clicked it and it gave me this error message and sent me back to CraftOS.
It would REALLY help him if you told his what the error message was. he isn't a mind reader. as developers we require error messages and/or codes so that we know whats wrong. having someone say 'hey you have a bug' when just one file of the program is >1000 lines of code, and there are multiple files, really does not help at all.
Lyqyd #125
Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:52 AM
It would REALLY help him if you told his what the error message was. he isn't a mind reader. as developers we require error messages and/or codes so that we know whats wrong. having someone say 'hey you have a bug' when just one file of the program is >1000 lines of code, and there are multiple files, really does not help at all.

There are nicer ways to ask for better bug reports. Save the hostility for someone that actually deserves it. ;)/>
PixelToast #126
Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:33 AM
you can use my disk player
theoriginalbit #127
Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:34 PM
There are nicer ways to ask for better bug reports. Save the hostility for someone that actually deserves it. ;)/>
Wasn't being hostile. was just highlighting important words :P/>
coryb2007 #128
Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:12 AM
I know a bug, when you create a shortcut, sometimes when you delete it, the shortcut never goes away.
theoriginalbit #129
Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:05 AM
I know a bug, when you create a shortcut, sometimes when you delete it, the shortcut never goes away.
I believe that Kornichen does know about this, and may even be fixed in the new version. In any case thank you for your input and I've reported the bug to Kornichen on his GitHub Issue tracker. :)/>

EDIT: Woo! 2000th post! :D/>
Edited on 17 February 2013 - 06:12 AM
kornichen #130
Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:21 AM
KREOS Orbit V2.0 will be prodly released on 22nd of Febuary 2013 or for the american 02/22/2013 :D/>
And with it I prodly present the new interface

ORBIT
kornichen #131
Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:44 AM
First Screenshots of KREOS Orbit V2.0 are here!

The start screen (picture by TheOriginalBIT)

The Home Screen named Orbit Screen
theoriginalbit #132
Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:47 AM
VERY NICE! I'm liking this new gui! Even though its very Windows 8 Metro :P/>
kornichen #133
Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:58 AM
VERY NICE! I'm liking this new gui! Even though its very Windows 8 Metro :P/>

Yes it will be like Windows 8 Metro but without bugs :D/>
Just joking …
GravityScore #134
Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:02 AM
WOW! I love it! It looks absolutely fantastic! Can't wait for it's release! :D/>

I might just start using it instead of the default CraftOS :P/>
theoriginalbit #135
Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:05 AM
I might just start using it instead of the default CraftOS :P/>
Same, it might be the first OS I actually use :P/>
kornichen #136
Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:11 AM
Hello!

I've got a problem:

If I used shell.run in KREOS 1.7 the program was paused at the command until the program that I have started was at the end.
Now I use shell.run and the programs runs parallel.

Maybe I did a mistake or has something been changed?
theoriginalbit #137
Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:14 AM
Hello!

I've got a problem:

If I used shell.run in KREOS 1.7 the program was paused at the command until the program that I have started was at the end.

push the commit, I'll take a look on your GitHub :)/>

EDIT: And I suggest you have a develop branch, since you have a stable branch. it will let you do quick bug fixes on the stable when people find them. and its just good practice.
kornichen #138
Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:20 AM
Hello!

I've got a problem:

push the commit, I'll take a look on your GitHub :)/>

EDIT: And I suggest you have a develop branch, since you have a stable branch. it will let you do quick bug fixes on the stable when people find them. and its just good practice.

I will load it up to github after lunch :D/>
theoriginalbit #139
Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:21 AM
I will load it up to github after lunch :D/>
I plan on bed in about 30 mins - 1hr. its 12:30am here.
kornichen #140
Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:33 AM
So I am back and publish it on Github now.

Edit: It is 2:36 PM here.

Edit 2: Look into the /kreos/sys file at line 22 :D/>
theoriginalbit #141
Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:35 AM
So I am back and publish it on Github now.

Edit: It is 2:36 PM here.
Where did you publish it? under stable?
kornichen #142
Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:38 AM
It will be released under Beta in a minute.
Github works slowly with Windows 8 :D/>
theoriginalbit #143
Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:39 AM
lol ok.
kornichen #144
Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:48 AM
Published under Beta, but comiting does not work :D/>
But it is published…
119mikkel #145
Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:50 AM
How do i get the OS?
Plz Help ;)/>
theoriginalbit #146
Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:51 AM
How do i get the OS?
Plz Help ;)/>

Get it ingame with pastebin:

pastebin get NAgM24pa install
119mikkel #147
Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:56 AM
i try'd and it do not work :unsure:/>
theoriginalbit #148
Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:56 AM
i try'd and it do not work :unsure:/>
did it so "no program"?
119mikkel #149
Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:59 AM
yes it did.
theoriginalbit #150
Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:59 AM
Korn… Few things, quickly tell me where you think the issue is… and also, I have a newer version of the ESL, 2.3.2 actually, you're still on 1.2 :P/>
kornichen #151
Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:02 AM
The issue is that I have developed the orbit libary so, that I can disable buttons from the first window with orbit.disableScreen("OrbitScreen").
But it does not work either because the program is not stopping until orbitstore has been stopped or I made a mistake in orbit.PullEvent("…")
theoriginalbit #152
Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:06 AM
did you push the correct version? I'm not seeing an orbit library
119mikkel #153
Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:08 AM
i relly want this OS someone Help me plz :unsure:/>
kornichen #154
Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:08 AM
Sorry OriginalBIT, GitHub has uploaded the old KREOS 1.7.2 because it does not work right with windows 8. You can go sleeping :D/> …. while I'll try to fix GitHub

(Arghh Windows 8)
theoriginalbit #155
Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:17 AM
ok the "no program" means that the http api is not enabled in the computercraft.cfg config file. you must enable this to get access to the internet
119mikkel #156
Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:18 AM
Kronichen can you give me a link to the OS on GitHud to me?
theoriginalbit #157
Sorry OriginalBIT, GitHub has uploaded the old KREOS 1.7.2 because it does not work right with windows 8. You can go sleeping :D/> …. while I'll try to fix GitHub
Lol ok. ill help in the morning. while deving cctube
119mikkel #158
Ok
119mikkel #159
Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:23 AM
ok the "no program" means that the http api is not enabled in the computercraft.cfg config file. you must enable this to get access to the internet
Where can i find computercraft.cfg?
theoriginalbit #160
Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:27 AM
Where can i find computercraft.cfg?
Mac (SSP):
  1. open finder window
  2. cmd + shift + g
  3. type ~/Library/Application Support
  4. <minecraft folder, which ever thing your using>
  5. config folder
Windows (SSP)
  1. Go to %APPDATA%
  2. steps 4 and 5 above
Both (SMP):
  1. open server folder
  2. configs
<minecraft
kornichen #161
Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:32 AM
Soo… Its uploaded to GitHub under Stable… (beta does not work)
theoriginalbit #162
Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:34 AM
Soo… Its uploaded to GitHub under Stable… (beta does not work)
Clearly doing something wrong. I dont have any issues with branches.
NeverCast #163
Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:38 AM
I likely didn't setup the remote correctly and is having issues pushing to it.
Or something a lot worse :D/>

I should run Git tutorials :D/> Might help a few people.

Kornichen, This OS looks great! All you need to do is get that multi-touch action going :P/>
remiX #164
Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:47 AM
I should run Git tutorials :D/> Might help a few people.

Please.. lol I don't know how to create a folder in a repository :<

edit:
Nice demo video, kornichen :P/>
Alerith #165
Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:04 PM
This is my first post, I was trying other OS and this is by far THE BEST
Just one issue, the app Firewolf failed to update, so I manually downloaded the lastest version and overwrited in the programs's folder and it works pretty good.

Man, you're awesome, keep the good work please!!!!! :D/> :D/> :D/>
theoriginalbit #166
Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:57 PM
Please.. lol I don't know how to create a folder in a repository :<
Make a folder in your local file system…
kornichen #167
Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:50 AM
Hey :D/> all problems are fixed , all bugs cleared, now I have only the Orbit Store left to do :D/>
(Screenshots will follow)
absorr #168
Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:04 AM
Create an API for other programmers to create apps for this! You could also add features specific to this API. Here are some examples:

Notifications, a charms system (similar to Windows 8 or the buttons on Android), a universal account to log in as and use in apps (similar to Microsoft Accounts in Windows 8), desktop widgets, file format executing, and more!
kornichen #169
Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:18 AM
Release date of KREOS Orbit 2.0:

02/22/2013 at 15:00 o'clock UTC+1
FuuuAInfiniteLoop(F.A.I.L) #170
Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:57 PM
Ehy you didnt release it? And when you first start it, it says that is an update, and if you install it, the os break with 3 errors
kornichen #171
Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:38 PM
Sorry, but the setup won't work. But I have fixed it and will release it today.
AnthonyD98™ #172
Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:47 PM
kornichen why did you buy windows 8 in the first place?
theoriginalbit #173
Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:56 PM
kornichen why did you buy windows 8 in the first place?
Because the resource minimisation probably would be worth it. just to have Windows Aero not asking for 100% of GPU and CPU and 50% of the CPU, would make it so much more responsive!
CastleMan2000 #174
Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:41 AM
I can't get it to work! When I use the installer, it works great. It says there's a new version, if I say no, it works normally. If I say yes, it begins updating, glitches out, then reboots. It then generates two errors. Why won't it work? I've been waiting this whole month for this update!

EDIT: Ah, I see then. I am aquiver in anticipation!
kornichen #175
Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:49 AM
It is an old version. Kreos 2.0 will be released soon but I am ill at the moment so I cant work on it.
thedigi321 #176
Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:54 AM
Hi, KEROS developer im having trouble updating i it update and it acts like it is updating, but then i get this [img]file:///C:/Users/User/Pictures/confused.PNG[/img]
bios:338: [string "gui"]:14: '<name>' expected
file not found
file not found
config:13: attempt to index ? (a nil value)
but im sure i would love the OS
kornichen #177
Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:08 PM
KREOS Orbit V2.0 is now released!

Have fun with it !!!
theoriginalbit #178
Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:47 PM
YAY its finally here…….

Some quick bugs/improvements I've found so far.
  • installer clears the screen but does not set the cursor pos
  • typo in setup 'passwort' not 'password'
  • typing details that are longer than the textbox does not scroll, just keeps typing
  • on setup screen, cant click on continue when either of the textboxes are selected
  • your countdown after downloading a program is a count up. its confusing how long to wait.
  • npaint pro app text in the store is hard to read on the background
  • can only do one download at a time, the others wont download until you restart (which there is no restart button btw) maybe if a restart is REALLY required then force it. dont have it optional.
  • also its 'written by' not 'wridden by'
kornichen #179
Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:52 AM
Bugs:
  • installer clears the screen but does not set the cursor pos.
  • typo in setup 'passwort' not 'password'.
  • In german password means "Passwort" :D/>
  • typing details that are longer than the textbox does not scroll, just keeps typing.
  • on setup screen, cant click on continue when either of the textboxes are selected.
  • your countdown after downloading a program is a count up. its confusing how long to wait.
  • npaint pro app text in the store is hard to read on the background.
  • can only do one download at a time, the others wont download until you restart (which there is no restart button btw) maybe if a restart is REALLY required then force it. dont have it optional.
  • also its 'written by' not 'wridden by'.
✔ Fixed | ✔ Working on it | ✔ Won't be fixed

Changelog for Version 2.1:
  • Instead of the tile that a program uses in the Orbit Store it will now use the next free tile on the Orbit Screen.
  • The countdown after downloading a program does not count down and not count up and after the countdown the computer will restart automatically.
  • I am sorry but a restart is necessary because I can't reload the config (Maybe TheOriginalBIT is telling me a way :D/>)
  • The installer does now set the cursor pos.
  • Changed the misspelling in the setup from "passwort" to "password".
  • Changed the "Shutdown" button into a "Orbit Bar" button where you can shutdown and reboot your computer and open an "About" window.
  • Added compatibility for NPaintPro (allows to enter the file name before the program starts).

Get the newest Beta here:
https://github.com/kornichen/KREOS/tree/Beta

I am working on an update :D/>
Fortunately the automatical update system does work right when OS is starting. Please look at this post for update informations. Every done fix will be tagged with ✔.

CastleMan2000 #180
Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:37 AM
AWWWW YEAH! I can't wait to try this out!
oeed #181
Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:43 AM
–snip snip–
  • on setup screen, cant click on continue when either of the textboxes are selected.

–snip snip–

Why???
It may be complex to the get working but it is rather confusing/annoying as a user.
theoriginalbit #182
Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:07 PM
Why? That is like dead easy to fix and is a usability issue until it is fixed.
kornichen #183
Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:14 AM
Why? That is like dead easy to fix and is a usability issue until it is fixed.

Oh, I would fix fix it but I dont know how :D/>
Maybe you can help me a little bit.
kornichen #184
Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:37 AM
The countdown after downloading a program does not count down and not count up.
I am sorry but a restart is necessary because I can't reload the config (Maybe TheOriginalBIT is telling me a way :D/>)

OriginalBIT? Is there a way :D/>
CastleMan2000 #185
Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:15 AM
Alright, just tried this. It looks cool, but has several spelling errors. "Implementated" is not a word, "implemented" is. "Wridden", "written". I can't wait to see more of this though, especially when it becomes more functional!
Azhf #186
Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:43 PM
Lol ok. ill help in the morning. while deving cctube
Lol anxiously awaiting CCTube.
theoriginalbit #187
Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:52 PM
Oh, I would fix fix it but I dont know how :D/>
Maybe you can help me a little bit.
Yeh ok. link me to your repo again. and I'll take a look.

The countdown after downloading a program does not count down and not count up.
I am sorry but a restart is necessary because I can't reload the config (Maybe TheOriginalBIT is telling me a way :D/>)
OriginalBIT? Is there a way :D/>
You're using CConfig right? 'cause I did add a config:reset() function in the api.

Lol anxiously awaiting CCTube.
Who isn't! I'm annoyed atm that I cant get a hold of NeverCast. He has all the updated server files, if I had a copy of them I would just host on a different server, but I only have a copy of the REALLY old server files.
yaaay #188
Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:29 PM
Typo in welcome screen! password became passwort!
theoriginalbit #189
Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

• The countdown after downloading a program does not count down and not count up and after the countdown the computer will restart automatically.
  • I am sorry but a restart is necessary because I can't reload the config (Maybe TheOriginalBIT is telling me a way :D/>)
See comments on your commit for details. on how to fix these.
CH3DD4R #190
Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:15 PM
Ok, However AWESOME this is, I have a few problems. When inputting login details, I have to press enter before going on each time. Also, you said It could have custom icons; How do I do that?
theoriginalbit #191
Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:21 PM
Ok, However AWESOME this is, I have a few problems. When inputting login details, I have to press enter before going on each time. Also, you said It could have custom icons; How do I do that?
He knows about that first problem, and I think, was working on it? is that right kornichen? as for the custom icons, make one with NPaintPro and then press the little + beside the icon and type in the path for it..
CH3DD4R #192
Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:31 PM
ok, cool. I figured that would be a well know problem. And I was unable to get Npaint to work yet, i would just click the icon and it would do nothing. but oh well, I'll get it to work.

EDIT: Ok so I ran the program with parameters in shell, and got it to work, but what + button are you talking about? I cant fine one.
kornichen #193
Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:39 AM
He knows about that first problem, and I think, was working on it? is that right kornichen? as for the custom icons, make one with NPaintPro and then press the little + beside the icon and type in the path for it..

Yes, you are right. I am working on some cool things ;)/>
theoriginalbit #194
Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:48 AM
Did you see all my comments on your repo?
kornichen #195
Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:16 AM
Did you see all my comments on your repo?

Yes. But there will be some cool new features, too :D/>
thegreatstudio #196
Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:45 PM
Nice job kreos for making the os awesome !! i will vote for it.
yaaay #197
Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:10 PM
I think this OS is amazing.but nearly all the OS Have ability to exit to CraftOS.If you think this function breaks the meaning of an OS,You can make a bootloader or invlude CraftOS in a window.

also,typo in welcome screen
kornichen #198
Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:25 PM
Kreos 2.1 Beta 3 is now avaible from GitHub:

https://github.com/kornichen/KREOS
kornichen #199
Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:49 PM
Kreos Orbit 2.1 is now released.

Get it ingame:
With Pastebin:
pastebin get NAgM24pa setup

With Storm:

storm i 9 setup

If you have installed KREOS already, just start it and it will update automatically!

Changelog:
  • Bugfixes
  • Improved tile configuration
  • Added Orbit Bar
  • Added (Control Panel)
svdragster #200
Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:15 PM
Kreos Orbit 2.1 is now released.

Updater from old version doesn't work, pastebin setup doesn't work(Error: setup:49: Access Denied), storm setup doesn't work (Error: setup:25: Access Denied).
The last two errors are caused because the Updater messed something up (I think :o/>). When rebooting it works.

Edit: Another bug :D/> When running Kreos the first time, and you skip the "update is available" screen, then it doesn't clear the screen and the "welcome blah first time using" screen is impossibru to read. :3
oeed #201
Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:21 PM
Yea, every single time it turn it on it says there is new update. If I try to update it crashes.
kornichen #202
Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:34 PM
Version 2.2 will fix all bugs.

Just to be on the safe that I know all bugs, please open the following page and endorse bugs: https://github.com/kornichen/KREOS/issues/new

Thank you!
theoriginalbit #203
Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:45 PM
Very bold statement! :P/>
kornichen #204
Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:23 AM
Very bold statement! :P/>/>

And theresith I can do it please collect bugs at the link I have written.
Kris #205
Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:43 AM
After runing setup
i get this : invalid mode: can only run is ASCII mode attempted LOGOS_IS_LOAD
theoriginalbit #206
Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:03 AM
After runing setup
i get this : invalid mode: can only run is ASCII mode attempted LOGOS_IS_LOAD

@Kris run it on an advanced computer. you wont be able to use the OS on a normal computer.

@Korn Haha Korn, fail on your part there. Thats my API telling you off for trying to run a colour mode on a non-advanced computer :P/>
gamax92 #207
Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:52 AM
Wonderful … it ran and told me there was an update, and then it crashed.

startup:212: attempt to call nil

Every time i go to boot it now it says

parallel:22: startup:71: A configuration file object already exists for this file

EDIT: Now im getting

File not found
startup:44: attempt to index ? (a nil value)
———————————————
Fresh computer boot and setup.

Reinstall without trying to update
The First Start of KREOS window didn't erase the old update window., got the "attempted to update" crash again.
Disableing HTTP now … Oh thats nice, I have to have HTTP enabled, so that limites the choices of servers I can use this on to … 1%

I'll just go hack the update checker out of the damn thing.

Put it back on, so I can put in the username prompt, but I'm having trouble geting to the password prompt, it won't do anything …
Pressing tab does nothing.
Clicking on the password box does nothing.

Ugh, I give up installing this, not worth it.

0/10 - Couldn't even install.
twitch204 #208
Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:55 PM
I am also unable to use it,
oeed #209
Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:03 PM
I've said this many times.
Test test test, before you share it.
theoriginalbit #210
Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:35 PM
parallel:22: startup:71: A configuration file object already exists for this file

@Korn… what is with you using my APIs wrong! :P/>
MudkipTheEpic #211
Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

@Korn… what is with you using my APIs wrong! :P/>

LOL, just for that bug, I had to rewrite OSRunner's reboot feature. It's actually much better now though. :P/>
theoriginalbit #212
Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:05 PM
LOL, just for that bug, I had to rewrite OSRunner's reboot feature. It's actually much better now though. :P/>
And that is why I do it that way…. It forces you to programme better and not be lazy!
MudkipTheEpic #213
Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:58 PM
Can you please release a hotfix for fixing the update bug?
PixelToast #214
Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:30 PM
nice necro, just PM him instead .-.
Azithral371 #215
Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:28 PM
How do you make it show up on the monitor
theoriginalbit #216
Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:12 PM
try

monitor <side> <program>
where program is the main file of the os and side is the side the monitor is on.
wakafanykai123 #217
Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:21 PM
Im running EnderOS and KREOS under OSRunner. KREOS prompts me to update upon downloading, i click it and it gives a error (startup:212:attempt to call nil) and crashes. Help?
theoriginalbit #218
Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:25 PM
Im running EnderOS and KREOS under OSRunner. KREOS prompts me to update upon downloading, i click it and it gives a error (startup:212:attempt to call nil) and crashes. Help?
This is a known problem to kornichen, I believe a manual update should fix the problem.
wakafanykai123 #219
Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:00 PM
This is a known problem to kornichen, I believe a manual update should fix the problem.
I'm on a server, so how would i fix this?
Azithral371 #220
Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:28 PM
try

monitor <side> <program>
where program is the main file of the os and side is the side the monitor is on.

what is that main file and how can i make it go to the monitor at startup?
theoriginalbit #221
Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:04 PM
I'm on a server, so how would i fix this?
Just take a look at the updater, and manually download the links. if you have the server files, then you could replace them yourself.

what is that main file and how can i make it go to the monitor at startup?
the main file is startup, so you will want to rename it, lets say to 'start_os' then make a new startup saying this

shell.run('monitor <side> start_os')
replacing <side> with the side the monitor is on.
Azithral371 #222
Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:13 PM
theoctagon #223
Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:14 AM
Without spending hours going through all these non-informative threads, how do I manually update this KREOS to fix that damn update bug????? Not only that, but what the hell is the username and password upon startup? Two issues I have just trying to install this:

1.) I get the update error as mentioned above, even on clean install. What happened to "Will fix all bugs?????"

2.) I could not find anywhere in this thread how to log into the OS after install.

I got it installed, and tried the update. It of course failed miserably. So I rebooted, skipped the update and got the login screen. No idea what to do there as no information has been shown. Tried no username/password. It stated I had completed the install and to update. Fail. Again. Reboot, tried making up username/password. Same result. Completed install, update – FAIL!!!!! WTF???

After spending the last hour trying to figure this out, I'm tired of it. Either offer me a solution that doesn't require me to spend hours to fix this, or quit saying you will 'fix all the bugs' in this. ;)/>

BTW: Yes HTTP is enabled. No I didn't change the startup. Yes I tried clean install. No, I couldn't find a solution here other than someone saying 'just manually update the files'. ………….. *Facepalm*
theoctagon #224
Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:33 AM
Additionally, the screen gets all confuddled and overwrites itself upon trying to 'skip' the update and just continue. I am going to try and attach a couple of screenshots to show you.
theoctagon #225
Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:35 AM
Additionally, the screen gets all confuddled and overwrites itself upon trying to 'skip' the update and just continue. I am going to try and attach a couple of screenshots to show you.

or not ……. won't paste in. I have it if you want me to send it to you. Basically just imagine the lines of text overwriting one another.
kornichen #226
Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:42 AM
Please post every bug to https://github.com/kornichen/kreos/issues?state=open
Only if I know all bugs I can fix them in the next version that I am working on at the moment.
Czarified #227
Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:45 AM
This looks very cool! I will try this out!
svdragster #228
Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:05 AM
text

So you have to go to /kreos/config and open the file config.kre.
Change
firstStart=true
to

firstStart=false

Then you gotta change username and password in the user.kre
theoctagon #229
Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:52 AM
Please post every bug to https://github.com/k...sues?state=open
Only if I know all bugs I can fix them in the next version that I am working on at the moment.

Didn't offer a solution or where to go for one though ….. hmmmmm

text

So you have to go to /kreos/config and open the file config.kre.
Change
firstStart=true
to

firstStart=false

Then you gotta change username and password in the user.kre

Thank you! Might I ask how you knew this? Where did you find support/information on this? :D/>
svdragster #230
Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:54 AM
Thank you! Might I ask how you knew this? Where did you find support/information on this? :D/>

When Kreos didn't have that Orbit design, I already took a look how he made everything and how he could do some stuff I didn't know at this point. (Still got those old versions >.<)
Well I think "firstStart" is pretty obvious what it does ;)/>

Btw the AutoUpdater never ever worked, when I tested KREOS even in the older versions…
theoctagon #231
Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:38 AM
Well this partially fixed it. It now takes me to the login screen. I skip the update (for obvious reasons because it still fails when selected) and it takes me to the login screen. Also, at this juncture, it is now overwriting its own text from the 'update or later' screen with the login screen text and fields. Messy.

I edited the users.kre and put in me as user and 123 as password. It doesn't log me in, but instead complained about expecting a string, so I changed the file to be '123'. Then it just reboots. I realize the script is set to reboot if the password don't match. This time it didn't error about the string/number issue. It just rebooted. That tells me it passed the pw check.

On the side, I separately tried running 'sys' all by itself (the call following the pw check). That actually worked and bypassed the pw check, however when I tried to run any of the panel, it ultimately failed as you would expect it to at that point. What this tells me though is that the call immediately following the pw check also works in and of itself. Now what? There's no real definition of how the password file is to be set up. I can easily put in user1.username = xxxxx and user1.password = 123 …… but that only works if its actually using the information. LOL!

Not going to spend much more time on this, unless someone can convince me its worth the effort to get it working. Neat idea though for sure as the terminal gets pretty monotonous to use at times.
kornichen #232
Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:22 PM
Thank you! Might I ask how you knew this? Where did you find support/information on this? :D/>/>/>

When Kreos didn't have that Orbit design, I already took a look how he made everything and how he could do some stuff I didn't know at this point. (Still got those old versions >.<)
Well I think "firstStart" is pretty obvious what it does ;)/>/>/>

Btw the AutoUpdater never ever worked, when I tested KREOS even in the older versions…

Crazy somewhere that the auto updater does neverworked because I have changed it in every Version since now :D/>
superaxander #233
Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:13 PM
This is actually pretty awesome( a lot better than before )
samdeman22 #234
Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:40 AM
reminds me of windows 8, just brought me an idea, you should let the user change the background colour?
Azhf #235
Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:15 PM
So… Windows 8 in CC? :D/>
kornichen #236
Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:57 PM
It is like windows 8, right.
Persona #237
Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:07 AM
I'm curious if this works on the current version.
Any word on this?
nutcase84 #238
Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:03 PM
I'm curious if this works on the current version.
Any word on this?

Most programs are backward/forward compatible.
platychief #239
Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:16 AM
Hey! This looks awesome! But i got an error when I typed >cd disk
>kreos_setup.txt

It said: startup:44: Invalid mode: Can only run in ACSII mode, attempted LOGO_IS LOAD

sorry if this is a really basic problem, I have only made a basic lock in CC. Please help if you can. I installed by putting the .txt file inot C:\Users\owner\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\saves\New World\computer\disk\1
theoriginalbit #240
Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:23 AM
It said: startup:44: Invalid mode: Can only run in ACSII mode, attempted LOGO_IS LOAD
This is an error that is thrown to KREOS from my API that he has used, basically him getting this error means that he is not doing his error checking correctly………… KREOS requires an Advanced Computer.
Mitchfizz05 #241
Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:04 AM
Quite excellent!
Only things that lets it down a little is that it is a little buggy like the update notification and login screen overlapping and crashes when updating.
platychief #242
Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:23 PM
Ah, ok thanks now I figured it out
lilggamegenuis #243
Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:31 PM
something you should add is a music player. and a app that can rip music disks
Zudo #244
Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:29 AM
and a app that can rip music disks

That's impossible, and it should be:

and an app that can rip music disks.
HellaLit #245
Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:15 AM
When I launched it for the first time it would crash when I would try to update.
Help!
svdragster #246
Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:30 AM
How to fix the Update Bug:
Open up the startup file and write this one line of code after line 201:

version = 2.1

As long as Kreos won't have an update, it will work.
kornichen #247
Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:42 PM
Hello,

I want to post, that I am back and start coding on KREOS again right now.

Soon KREOS 3.0 will be released and not like a company we all know I know that the tile UI isn't fine and I will not take every of my ideas to this. That means that there will be a normal desktop like in older versions and - for those who want it - a tile UI.

My Objectives:
  • Creating a new nice desktop.
  • Creating login system with Mojang Accounts.
  • Saving Preferences in cloud.
  • Improving the tile UI.
  • Bug fixes
And much, much more!
nothjarnan #248
Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:12 PM
could you please fix the updater?
svdragster #249
Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:00 AM
could you please fix the updater?

How to fix the Update Bug:
Open up the startup file and write this one line of code after line 201:

version = 2.1

As long as Kreos won't have an update, it will work.
kornichen #250
Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:59 PM
Hello!

This is the startscreen of KreOS 3.0 Beta I (yes - It is now KreOS and no longer KreOS):

But you can see that there is no logo and I want to let you create a logo like in KreOS 2.0. It have to be modern and with two colors, if possible: Gray, Cyan. White Background, please.

It should match with this, but it don't have to:

I hope you can do that. Thank you very much. The came back kornichen :D/>
mitterdoo #251
Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:55 PM
what happened to the kreos 2.1 download?
kornichen #252
Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:41 PM
The Download of KreOS 2.1 has been deleted. The reason is that the installer of 2.1 downloaded things from my server but I don't own that server any more.
When KreOS 3 is coming out soon everything will be better :D/>
ConsNSG #253
Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:05 AM
Hey I was just wondering, when can we expect the 3.0 to be up, and can I have a link to the earliest version before 3.0? I seem to have an error when downloading the ones from the github
kornichen #254
Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:05 AM
Hey I was just wondering, when can we expect the 3.0 to be up, and can I have a link to the earliest version before 3.0? I seem to have an error when downloading the ones from the github

Hello!

KreOS 3.0 will be finally released on 10th of October 2013. The other downloads won't work anymore because they was downloading th efiles from my old website bitnut.de but I don't have this anymore. Maybe - if you like to try the old versions - I will release a patch for them.
MailoStudios #255
Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:48 AM
Can i make the German Translation
kornichen #256
Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:13 AM
Jep!

I am from Germany so I will implementate a german translation in KreOS 3.0.
Maybe someone could create a translation for another language?
nutcase84 #257
Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:46 PM
Hey, kornichen. I was wondering if I could peak at your code to see how those tiles of yours work. It seems that people want a Tile UI for FlowOS, I don't know why.
kornichen #258
Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:55 AM
Hey, kornichen. I was wondering if I could peak at your code to see how those tiles of yours work. It seems that people want a Tile UI for FlowOS, I don't know why.

Hello,

KreOS 3.0 does not use tiles anymore so you can look and - If you want - use my code but please write me into credits in both ways.
TNTeener #259
Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:05 PM
Kornichen, can i translate your KREOS to polish for CC Users from Poland?
kornichen #260
Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:23 AM
Sure, when I am finished with KreOS 3.0 I will give you the transscript files.
theoriginalbit #261
Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:34 PM
Just incase you're not doing this, a better solution would be to write a Locale API to get strings from a file for a particular language, then all you need to do is have people write you a new language file instead of going through the OS and changing strings. Then have a setting that people can change and have your program use this string to query the Locale API for the specific language. Hope what I just said makes sense.
kornichen #262
Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:39 AM
Just incase you're not doing this, a better solution would be to write a Locale API to get strings from a file for a particular language, then all you need to do is have people write you a new language file instead of going through the OS and changing strings. Then have a setting that people can change and have your program use this string to query the Locale API for the specific language. Hope what I just said makes sense.

Jep, thats the thing I ment. Sorry for speaking in riddles but my brain often just works german ;)/>
Csstform #263
Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:46 AM
You have some typos…
Crazyeyeschase #264
Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:01 PM
I know a pastebin is coming any ETA?
Conan1981m #265
Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:59 AM
Hmm i had it before … can i have an older version while i wait for the new one ?
kornichen #266
Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:07 PM
Hi,just download it from my Github page: github.com/kornichen/KREOS. By the way I am working on KreOS 3 again and I think I can release it early next year.
Conan1981m #267
Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:53 AM
well this Github version is useless, only test buttons that say "hi" …
Kacy #268
Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:37 PM
Do you have need help ? for one programs …
ac130airblood01 #269
Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:35 AM
where is the download?
Commador #270
Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:32 PM
I don't see any download link. Is there no pastebin or anything?
Lyqyd #271
Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:50 PM
Hi,just download it from my Github page: github.com/kornichen/KREOS. By the way I am working on KreOS 3 again and I think I can release it early next year.
kornichen #272
Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:57 AM
Hello to everybody!

Here are some informations and news. First thing is that you can download the latest version of KreOS 2.0 (with bugs!) from https://github.com/kornichen/KREOS/tree/Beta. It won't start automatically and cancel the bootup process at startup. For using it go to /KREOS/ and start sys. Please do not report bugs of this version because I know that it is full of those but I am no longer on KREOS 2.0 or 2.1 Beta because I am working on KreOS 3.0 now. It will have the following features (not the complete list):
  • Hybrid Mode (Boot with tile layout like in KREOS 2.X or with desktop mode like in KREOS 1.X)
  • An own scripting language (FlowScript; Documentation available soon)
  • Some kind of App Store (FlowMarket)
  • Advanced terminal (FlowTerminal)
And more. Will be released next month.
kornichen #273
Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:44 PM
Here is the first trailer (really bad video quality, sorry):

https://vimeo.com/87016912
kornichen #274
Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:46 PM
KreOS 3.0 Flow release date and features

Finally the development of KreOS 3.0 is nearly finished. Here the estimated release date and the features.

Features
  • Switch between tile and desktop environment
  • Switch between your opened apps with FlowSwap
  • Download apps from an app store (ccappstore*)
  • In connection to point two multitasking
  • You can save your settings in a password-less** cloud
  • Having this applications built in:
  • - FlowOffice including Write, Table, Show, Note - FlowCommander
  • FlowRush (Ability to control KreOS solely with keyboard commands)
  • Every other feature from KreOS 1.X and 2.X
  • And more!
Release

* I thought that nobody needs another app store so I asked oeed for permission to bundle his app store with KreOS and he granted permissions via PM on 18 Aug 2013.

** Because of mistrust of community members in giving their passwords away because of past incidents I decided to give a randomly generated code to the users. No need to enter a password or email adress. Just username and this code. Disadvantage: Loosing the code, loosing your dates.
trajing #275
Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:09 PM
Exactly where is the download?
Lyqyd #276
Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:10 AM
No code to show; locked. Feel free to report the topic when you have code to post.

You should know how this works by now, kornichen! :P/>
kornichen #277
Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:00 AM
Hello,

first I have to apologize very much because of KreOS 3.0 Flow never being released as of this writing. I had a lot to do and were busy with school etc.
Since I published the latest release date of KreOS 3.0, which was in April, I rewrote KreOS about 2 times. Before that date, I rewrote it 3 times, at least that's the amount of unfinished versions of KreOS 3.0 I have on my hard drive.
Some weeks ago, I started to rewrite KreOS 3.0 again. Every single line until it is absolutely perfect. After quite a bit of time, I am at the point now, where I have a very basic system running. I also have a very basic GUI library done now. All of them are far away from being perfect.
Today, I want to show you some concept pictures of KreOS 3.0 Skylark, as I call the fifth try to make a perfect ComputerCraft OS. Please keep in mind that these are concept pictures. That means that they are not generated by code but with a brush under the mouse cursor.
You may now ask: Why are you doing this? The answer is simple. I think a perfect product can only be generated if you listen to the users. I beg you to give feedback about this pictures. Tell me what you like, what you don't like and what you want to see.
But let's get to the pictures:

Spoiler
This is the first picture. It shows the home screen. At the top you have the KreOS Bar which looks the same in all system applications. In the middle you can see where you are. At the left side you see where you can go from here. In this case you can go to settings. The right side shows the time.
In the middle of the screen you can select one of your apps. At the bottom you have a quick overview of all your sites. Normally, because there are only three apps installed, you would not see this points because there is only one site. The points show the number of sites and appear when you have more than one site. On this picture I just added them for instance.

This is the settings screen. As above, the points are only for instance because there is only one site.
Again, with clicking on Home, you can get back to the app drawer.

This is the file manager. On the right side you can see your files. The side bar on the left shows locations that you pinned there, your system folder, connected drives (here you can see a Universal ComputerCraft Bus 1GB drive; just joking) and connected printers. With clicking on home you can get back to your home screen.

I hope you like what you see. I will add more pictures over the time.

Till then,
kornichen
Edited on 06 December 2014 - 10:02 AM
Exerro #278
Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:02 PM
Looks great!

There are a couple of things that could do with improving in my opinion though. Firstly, it's quite hard to tell what the icons on the home screen actually do. Having some form of label could help. Also, a cut off length of 10 characters for the files app is a bit short don't you think? Personally, I don't like the scrollbar in the files app too. If you take a look at Nova, you'll see I left some gaps at the top, bottom, and sides of any scrollbar, which I personally think looks best. In fact, the whole sidebar thing should be a bit bigger I think, maybe 3 more pixels to make it 15 wide?

On a side note, I can't tell if this supports running CraftOS programs, or if you've even got to that point of thinking yet. If an OS doesn't support running CraftOS programs, it will be very limited, so make sure to allow it! Also, if you do add support, I'd make the bar on the top shrink to 1 pixel, or no pixels at all if the app/program requests it. BBTetris won't run on a screen less than 50x19, so you'll need support for going fullscreen if you want that to run.

I know there's a lot there, I'm just trying to be picky, it's not because I think it's bad or anything. In fact, it looks really sleek. I can see this being competition soon.
wieselkatze #279
Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:14 PM
Side Note: This was intended to be posted before the forums went down…

Hey kornichen,

I quite like the design - 3 icons on one page seems fine. For me a desktop in ComputerCraft with many icons doesn't really make sense because of the low resolution. This would be a nice compromise between having a graphical way to display all the programs and still having them distinctable.

The thing I would definitely implement then is a search function - else you would have to click too many times to find the program you want.

As the ComputerCraft screen is only 19 pixels high I would make the upper bar ( the thing with the clock, program name etc. ) a bit narrower - that is 2 pixels or only 1 pixel high.
Imagine starting normal programs with their own tool bar at the top, that don't use your GUI framework or whatever; just normal shell programs.
That would be 4 pixels blocked - that would look a bit ugly and also there is much unused screen space. An editor for programs displaying only 15 lines each is a bit hard to use.

A text editor and other stuff that goes with the rest of the design of the OS would be very nice to have.
Also I would encourage you to make some programs that are actually useful ingame - an app for a clock for example would not be.
One program I thought about is an app for managing redstone stuff. That would be like the programmable rednet controller from MinefactoryReloaded - having possibilities to control various redstone outputs based on conditions ( XOR Gates, AND Gates, OR Gates etc.) or having them run on timers.
The best way, I think, would be to realize that with coroutines - each having a condition and a redstone output. A nice thing for that would also be an inter-connection between those coroutines, so that one part of a condition would be that another one is fulfilled.

I'm curious about what you'll come up with ;)/>

~wieselkatze
Edited on 08 December 2014 - 06:15 PM
Lyqyd #280
Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:34 PM
Threads merged.
kornichen #281
Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:08 PM
Its finally out. KreOS 3.0.
CrazedProgrammer #282
Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:03 PM
Here is my review for the current version.
I'm sorry if I'm being harsh, but an OS, even in an alpha state, should have some functionality.

Pros:
- Good installer
- Good interface
- Cool file viewer concept (like Total Commander)
- No errors
- Options (but only change background color)

Cons:
- 1/5 of it is implemented, these things aren't implemented at all:
First icon on the desktop
First, third and fourth icon in the settings menu
Add application in the application settings menu (shows a non-functional interface)
Delete and list application in the application settings menu
All actions in the file viewer except exit
- No multitasking at all (even multishell would be better)
- No functionality at all
- Can't add applications
- Shell doesn't clear the screen
- Cursor keeps blinking after closing shell or file viewer
- Time doesn't update (add a timer?)
- File viewer doesn't show difference between files and folders
- Can't run scripts from the file viewer
- NDF-OS clone with multiple screens (I'm getting so tired of these NDF-OS clones)

Why did you choose to release this OS in such an unfinished state?
Anyways, I hope it gets better with updates.
kornichen #283
Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:10 PM
Here is my review for the current version.
I'm sorry if I'm being harsh, but an OS, even in an alpha state, should have some functionality.

Pros:
- Good installer
- Good interface
- Cool file viewer concept (like Total Commander)
- No errors
- Options (but only change background color)

Cons:
- 1/5 of it is implemented, these things aren't implemented at all:
First icon on the desktop
First, third and fourth icon in the settings menu
1. Add application in the application settings menu (shows a non-functional interface)
2. Delete and list application in the application settings menu
3. All actions in the file viewer except exit
- 4. No multitasking at all (even multishell would be better)
- 5. No functionality at all
- 1. Can't add applications
- 6. Shell doesn't clear the screen
- 7. Cursor keeps blinking after closing shell or file viewer
- 8. Time doesn't update (add a timer?)
- 3. File viewer doesn't show difference between files and folders
- 3. Can't run scripts from the file viewer
- 9. NDF-OS clone with multiple screens (I'm getting so tired of these NDF-OS clones)

Why did you choose to release this OS in such an unfinished state?
Anyways, I hope it gets better with updates.

Thank you for your feedback. Let me answer to every contra point. I numbered your points for better overview.
  1. Add application should normally work. Could you please explain what's not working? Notice that added applications will be shown after the next reboot.
  2. Coming in today's update.
  3. The file viewer is just temporary. It is my unfinished CCC. Later this week there will be an own file manager for the operating system.
  4. Coming in a later update.
  5. What would be functionality for you? The sense of a ComputerCraft OS is basically to launch applications and that's what KreOS 3.0 can do.
  6. Fixed in today's update.
  7. Fixed in today's update.
  8. Fixed in today's update.
  9. I actually don't think so because it is quite different.
Thank you again for your feedback. Today's update is coming at 6:00 PM CET (UTC+002).
kornichen #284
Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:18 PM
The update 3.01 is out. Install it via the Pastebin installer or reboot your computer with KreOS 3.0 to update.
A list with changes will follow.
Edited on 02 April 2015 - 03:18 PM
Admiraltallcactus #285
Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:39 AM
Pastebin download please
kornichen #286
Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:31 AM
Pastebin download please
Pastebin is available. You can find this line on the first site.

pastebin run AEwwKKd1
tommyroyall #287
Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:45 PM
May I ask what emulator you were running this in for the screenshots?
kornichen #288
Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:19 PM
May I ask what emulator you were running this in for the screenshots?

Sure, CCEmuRedux.
ABLukas #289
Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:32 PM
i dont even know if this is possible but on a server a successfully retrieved the pastebin files i go to run it i get the K then this Download /startup (1/27) parallel :22: kreos:35: attempt to index ? (a nil value) please help me as i want to get this to work and am a complete noob to this
kornichen #290
Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:11 PM
i dont even know if this is possible but on a server a successfully retrieved the pastebin files i go to run it i get the K then this Download /startup (1/27) parallel :22: kreos:35: attempt to index ? (a nil value) please help me as i want to get this to work and am a complete noob to this
Please check if http is enabled in the ComputerCraft config file on the server.
Blue #291
Posted 03 October 2015 - 04:50 PM
Please check if http is enabled in the ComputerCraft config file on the server.
Make it check if http is working like this:

while loop==true do
http.request("http://example.com")
local event=os.pullEvent()
if event=="http_success" then
print("Successfully connected to the internet")
loop=false
elseif event=="http_failure" then
print("There was a problem connecting to the internet")
loop=false
end
end
Also,your OS has improved alot over the past 3 years,nice job ;)/> !
Edited on 03 October 2015 - 02:52 PM
ABLukas #292
Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:35 PM
i know its working as i can download almost every other one i tried
Jumpybug214 #293
Posted 15 November 2015 - 02:49 AM
I like This :)/>/>

can I edit this for my own os if I give you credit?
kornichen #294
Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:59 AM

You could but the source code is terrible and would it then really be your "own" OS?
Jumpybug214 #295
Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:43 PM

You could but the source code is terrible and would it then really be your "own" OS?
ok and I have no Idea if it would