So, I had a lot of fun with the FTB pack, especially with the turtles and their programming. I really love the way you can automate a lot of things with them and I'm thinking of using them exclusively instead of pipes for all kinds of things. It's not exactly efficient, but hey, it's gonna be fun. One of the "meta" goals I set for myself is to create a central computer that dynamically assigns turtles to different tasks, depending on what is needed. Although that's still quite a ways away, I thought one of the things that would be somewhat easy and might come in handy later would be a way to make more turtles on demand.

So I present to you:

Turtle Reproduction http://pastebin.com/h2XNareg

needed materials:
  • 1 Crafting Turtle
  • 1 Chest
  • 6 glass
  • 7 smooth stone
  • 1 redstone
  • 3 wood logs (the kind that turns into 4 planks and can be crafted into chests and sticks, so no IC² rubber wood)
  • 7 iron ingots
  • 3 diamonds
Place the turtle above the chest and fill the chests with the above mentioned materials. They need to be in the exact order and amounts, or the program will fail. Then just run the program and after a short while it will place a fresh mining turtle in front of itself. It will produce a few extra items (15 glass panes and 2 sticks) which will be ejected to the top (put a chest there if you want to store them)

Todo:
  • turn the new turtle on and run some program
  • autmatically start crafting once the necessary materials are present
  • keep track of the extra materials produced and use them for the creation of more turtles
Use this any way you want, but be aware that turtles might become sentient and take over your world. I will not be held responsible :P/>