This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Zaggy1024's profile picture

Sidescroller Minecraft (WIP)

Started by Zaggy1024, 17 December 2012 - 03:31 PM
Zaggy1024 #1
Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:31 PM
You wanna play Minecraft in Minecraft? Well, too bad for you. You can't! But you can play this!

http://pastebin.com/sg46GeM6

Current screenshots:

Old screenshots:
Spoiler

Features so far:
  • Generates world randomly as you explore, with grass, dirt, stone, coal, iron, gold, diamond, and bedrock.
  • Player can jump with collision detection that works pretty well (and will improve in future).
  • You can put items in your inventory and move them around as you in normal Minecraft.
  • You can dig out the ground with left click (the game detects blocks between you and your cursor) and place the block you have selected in your hotbar with right click.
  • Dropped items with collision detection!
  • Characters on some blocks to make them look (hopefully) prettier!
Bugs (the ones I know of):
  • You sometimes glitch through terrain, this may take a while to figure out. The instance of this I know of is when you jump while moving towards block. seemingly squashed!
  • When you go into the ground, the collision detection pushes out up and out of it (sort of like it's water that you're floating in). When I implement health, I'll probably make it so that you suffocate instead (except maybe if you're only one block underground). squashed!
  • You can break the "none" blocks at the top of the map, but you can't place in them. (I will hopefully figure out a way that you can place upwards infinitely without bugs) definitely squashed!
If anyone finds any bugs in it (other than the one listed above), then please tell me. If you have any suggestions on how to improve it (how the game behaves, how it performs, anything), then post them. :)/>

Old beginning of post:
SpoilerI started working on this sidescroller yesterday (the 15th), and decided it was good enough so far to post it on here. It's basically not worth playing because it doesn't really have any gameplay (health, inventory, crafting) yet, and it's not really playable because of the way keypresses are handled in CC, but I feel somewhat good about how well it works with what CC has so far.
Dlcruz129 #2
Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:31 PM
Looks pretty. Good luck with this!
Left4Cake #3
Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:10 AM
Nice, Mineception! Just a suggestion: I would really want a save feature for this.
anonimo182 #4
Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:40 PM
Nice, Mineception! Just a suggestion: I would really want a save feature for this.
Great program! As Left4Cake said, it needs a save function and the ability to place more than stone
Zaggy1024 #5
Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:52 PM
Yeah, like the topic title says, early WIP. I'm definitely not gonna say it's done till it has a save feature, but I'm not sure how long that'll take. Placing blocks other than stone is probably gonna be done sooner, because I really want to make an inventory for it. (how I'm going to make the differences between items clear is gonna take some figuring out though)
anonimo182 #6
Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:01 PM
Yeah, like the topic title says, early WIP. I'm definitely not gonna say it's done till it has a save feature, but I'm not sure how long that'll take. Placing blocks other than stone is probably gonna be done sooner, because I really want to make an inventory for it. (how I'm going to make the differences between items clear is gonna take some figuring out though)
If you need any help, I can help out if you want :)/>
ElectricOverride #7
Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:21 AM
When I left click to mine the blocks don't break. Am I doing something wrong? I do not have lights on.
nutcase84 #8
Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:49 AM
When I left click to mine the blocks don't break. Am I doing something wrong? I do not have lights on.
It hapens for me too. It's a cool program, anyways.
Zaggy1024 #9
Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:32 AM
That's strange, I don't know why that might be. I just downloaded the (now old) version from above and I can break blocks. :\

Anyway, I've got a new version to release. If you guys still have that problem, tell me and I'll see if I can figure out what's wrong.

Changes:
  • Improved collision detection
  • Jumping works better because you lose less speed in the air.
  • A test dropped item (an apple), you can't pick it up though.
  • Saplings, currently they don't do anything.
  • Characters on some blocks (the bedrock, diamond, and saplings) to make them look better. If you have any suggestions on how I can make anything in the game look better, then please tell me, because I think it looks sort of ugly currently. :P/>
  • Changed status bar back color to black.
New screenshots:
Spoiler

Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/egyu7Gcx

If you need any help, I can help out if you want :)/>
How would that work? Also, what are you good at?

Which thing do you people want first, an inventory/crafting or block updates?
nutcase84 #10
Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:07 AM
The update fixed it. It just keeps getting cooler and cooler. :)/>
EDIT: More bugs. You can place blocks ontop of yourself, and when you do, you float to the surface.
EDIT: WHOAH! 660 lines of code! Good job!
Zaggy1024 #11
Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:40 AM
EDIT: More bugs. You can place blocks ontop of yourself, and when you do, you float to the surface.
Yeah, I left that bug in there because it allows you to make towers like in normal Minecraft without having to mess with jumping… I guess I'll have figure out how to make the collision detection not make you goup if you're under a block…

The update fixed it. It just keeps getting cooler and cooler. :)/>
EDIT: WHOAH! 660 lines of code! Good job!
Thanks. :D/> I don't really see it as that big an accomplishment, but that may just be because I'm the one making it. :P/>
anonimo182 #12
Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:08 AM
Found a bug, when ou tower up and a block is upside you, you will simply go through
Dlcruz129 #13
Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:02 PM
That's strange, I don't know why that might be. I just downloaded the (now old) version from above and I can break blocks. :\

Anyway, I've got a new version to release. If you guys still have that problem, tell me and I'll see if I can figure out what's wrong.

Changes:
  • Improved collision detection
  • Jumping works better because you lose less speed in the air.
  • A test dropped item (an apple), you can't pick it up though.
  • Saplings, currently they don't do anything.
  • Characters on some blocks (the bedrock, diamond, and saplings) to make them look better. If you have any suggestions on how I can make anything in the game look better, then please tell me, because I think it looks sort of ugly currently. :P/>/>
  • Changed status bar back color to black.
New screenshots:
Spoiler

Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/egyu7Gcx

If you need any help, I can help out if you want :)/>/>
How would that work? Also, what are you good at?

Which thing do you people want first, an inventory/crafting or block updates?

Great job on the bedrock! It looks great! And crafting would be neat, and probably not to hard if you use tables.
nutcase84 #14
Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:54 PM
Found a bug, when ou tower up and a block is upside you, you will simply go through
I ALREADY SAID THAT!
anonimo182 #15
Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:34 PM
I ALREADY SAID THAT!
well, sorry… and it would be good crafting
nutcase84 #16
Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:42 PM
Someone has copyed you: http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/7268-mineception-minecraft-in-minecraft-101-collisionlag-fixes/
ComputerCraftFan11 #17
Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

I didn't 'copy' him, and he didn't 'copy' me.

I made my original post in October (way before this)

Anyways, nice program :D/>
I like how your character is always centered.
Zaggy1024 #18
Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

Inventory and crafting coming hopefully tomorrow or the day after!

Edit: I edited the OP to reflect the changes I made in the second release.
anonimo182 #19
Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

Inventory and crafting coming hopefully tomorrow or the day after!

Edit: I edited the OP to reflect the changes I made in the second release.
Yay! With the inventory coming, could you place blocks? (Other than infinite stone)
Zaggy1024 #20
Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:52 AM
Yay! With the inventory coming, could you place blocks? (Other than infinite stone)
Yeah, of course. Sadly, I think it may be another couple of days before the next release. Yesterday, I got sick, AND Minecraft Forge started crashing Minecraft before it started up, so I wasn't able to do anything. Even if Forge had been working, I don't think I'd be able to write anything, though, because my sickness made it hard for me to think or concentrate… :\
Thankfully, I should be able to write code today, because I'm feeling a lot better and I got Minecraft working again.
Left4Cake #21
Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:19 PM
If I can make a suggetion, tomass1996 has released a computer emulator here: http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/2674-cc145computercraft-emulator-v05pr4-october-23rd/

Just keep it in mind if forge starts giving you trouble aging.
Zaggy1024 #22
Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:05 PM
Yeah, I tried that when it was acting up, but for whatever reason, the performance was quite a bit worse than in-game.
nutcase84 #23
Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:31 PM
Yeah, of course. Sadly, I think it may be another couple of days before the next release. Yesterday, I got sick, AND Minecraft Forge started crashing Minecraft before it started up, so I wasn't able to do anything. Even if Forge had been working, I don't think I'd be able to write anything, though, because my sickness made it hard for me to think or concentrate… :\
Thankfully, I should be able to write code today, because I'm feeling a lot better and I got Minecraft working again.
You could always use CC-Emu. Hope you get well.
GeniusName3 #24
Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:21 AM
O.O this is one thing I love about the computercraft mod:It's community that makes such awesome programs.
Zaggy1024 #25
Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:12 PM
Yay! New release!

I decided crafting wouldn't be worth adding yet without block updates (and therefore trees), so next release will hopefully be with block updates (who knows what else I'll add other than trees? :D/>).

New features:
  • Picking up and placing blocks now works as it should!
  • You can move items around your inventory the same as you would in normal Minecraft. It currently doesn't show you which item you have selected, though.
  • More dropped items! Coal and diamonds drop items that you can pick up.
Enjoy, and I hope everyone had a merry Christmas and will have a happy New Year! :D/>
nutcase84 #26
Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:52 AM
Yay! New release!

I decided crafting wouldn't be worth adding yet without block updates (and therefore trees), so next release will hopefully be with block updates (who knows what else I'll add other than trees? :D/>).

New features:
  • Picking up and placing blocks now works as it should!
  • You can move items around your inventory the same as you would in normal Minecraft. It currently doesn't show you which item you have selected, though.
  • More dropped items! Coal and diamonds drop items that you can pick up.
Enjoy, and I hope everyone had a merry Christmas and will have a happy New Year! :D/>

Awesome!