This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
_ras_'s profile picture

[DiskDrive] Inserting disk without GUI

Started by _ras_, 19 December 2012 - 10:42 AM
_ras_ #1
Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:42 AM
Hi, i've got a suggestion about disk drives. Right now, you have to open gui, and drop the disk into the drive's gui.
Wouldn't it be quicker and easier to use, if you could just right click on the disk drive while holding floppy to insert it, and click again to eject it (just like rp2 disk drive does)?
I know it have been suggested before, but there was no response from devs, so i think its worth to try again. :)/>
Sebi #2
Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:46 AM
Yea, that would be good. It annoys me when you have to open the gui just to drag the disk over.
Cranium #3
Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:47 AM
I would actually agree. I habitually put the floppy in my hand before right clicking, assuming it would just get inserted. This would also prevent issues where items that are NOT disks (ie, bones or stone) to not error out the console of a door lock.
I have once created a very advanced door lock with an awesome GUI and everything. Someone then just put a freaking bone in it like a caveman, and errored out the console.
BigSHinyToys #4
Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:45 PM
hold shift right click the drive this is already in CC

I would actually agree. I habitually put the floppy in my hand before right clicking, assuming it would just get inserted. This would also prevent issues where items that are NOT disks (ie, bones or stone) to not error out the console of a door lock.
I have once created a very advanced door lock with an awesome GUI and everything. Someone then just put a freaking bone in it like a caveman, and errored out the console.

disk.hasData() lol ;)/>
Cranium #5
Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:05 PM
disk.hasData() lol ;)/>
Bah, you just ruined my rage against computer smashing cavemen.
Lyqyd #6
Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:07 PM
Feature already exists. Locked.
Lyqyd #7
Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:08 PM
Unlocked by request of OP to change feature suggestion to removing inserted floppies without needing to open the GUI.
Sebra #8
Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:48 AM
It would be convenient if disk can be inserted into disk drive or taken from it without "shift". IMHO GUI should be open only if it is impossible (both drive and hand full or empty).
BigSHinyToys #9
Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:01 AM
It would be convenient if disk can be inserted into disk drive or taken from it without "shift". IMHO GUI should be open only if it is impossible (both drive and hand full or empty).
you can make your program spit the disk out after reading it making it possible to enter the disk with shift click and then pick it back up after spit out this also requires mo GUI be opened and does basically what you want.
_ras_ #10
Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:23 AM
I agree, we could ofc use "disk.eject()" but you know, it's usefull when you're using installer or something like that, but in other cases like copying program? Right click, "copy disk/a a", Right click and done. (i know it may sound a little lazy)

Maybe we could reverse already existing feature? Make disk drives open GUI only with shift (for those why need GUI interface for disk drives, IMO its useless)
Cloudy #11
Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:29 AM
Maybe we could reverse already existing feature? Make disk drives open GUI only with shift (for those why need GUI interface for disk drives, IMO its useless)

No. I'm not randomly changing a behavior that has been in since disk drives were introduced. It is useful for seeing the label of the disk before you actually put it in the drive.
_ras_ #12
Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:31 AM
Ok then, so what about adding Shift+RMB to remove floppy?
Cloudy #13
Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:38 AM
I don't see any objections to doing that.
Sebra #14
Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:29 AM
It is useful for seeing the label of the disk before you actually put it in the drive.
Good note. And before removing it too.
Ok then, so what about adding Shift+RMB to remove floppy?
With empty hand I suppose.
I don't see any objections to doing that.
Good.