This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
ComputerCraftFan11's profile picture

MineCeption - Minecraft in Minecraft (1.02 Crafting (WIP)/Seeds)

Started by ComputerCraftFan11, 19 December 2012 - 12:25 PM
ComputerCraftFan11 #1
Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Description

Mineception (Minecraft in Minecraft) is a program I started right when computercraft got colors. In October 21st I made a post and a video about it telling everyone (but I didn't release the code), after a bunch of playing around and testing (and bug fixing :C) I managed to make it playable enough to release the first version to the public :D/>

Download

Known Bugs
  1. You can break the sun
  2. When generating land, your character turns into chuck norris and swims through it :C
Content
  1. Towering
  2. Forest Biome
  3. Desert Biome
  4. Extreme Hills Biome
  5. Ingame GUI
  6. Full Inventory (press E)
  7. Health Bar
  8. Block Information (Select a block in inv)
  9. Block Breaking (Left Click)
  10. Block Placing (Right Click)
  11. Inventory Selection
  12. Working API
  13. Character Movement
  14. Collision Detection
  15. Main Menu
  16. Debug Mode
  17. Hills
  18. And much more :DD
Videos

Old

Spoiler

New

Spoiler

( currently uploading )

Screenshots

New

Spoiler

At the mouth of extreme hills

My house in the forest

anonimo182 #2
Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:39 PM
Well, another bug, when changing blocks, the GUI disapears and comes again
Edit: Another bug, when you go up a block, like going in a stair, you can go through blocks
ComputerCraftFan11 #3
Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:49 PM
Edit: Another bug, when you go up a block, like going in a stair, you can go through blocks

I know about the first bug (forgot to add it to the post) and the second bug only happens when loading new chunks (already mentioned that)
anonimo182 #4
Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

I know about the first bug (forgot to add it to the post) and the second bug only happens when loading new chunks (already mentioned that)
The second bug happened in loaded chunks, not being Chuck Norris in new chunks
ComputerCraftFan11 #5
Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

It doesn't go through blocks for me
anonimo182 #6
Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

It doesn't go through blocks for me
I was using CC emulator…
Well, if someone else report it, it could be a bug
Zaggy1024 #7
Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:47 PM
Heh, didn't see this thread till now. I guess we'll have to compete with each other to come up with the best and most playable game or something. :P/>

I just tried yours, but the character appears to be stuck underground with no way of jumping out (plus collision detection doesn't seem to be working)… What's up with it? :P/>
Also, why isn't there a range check on breaking blocks?
Edit: Also, the endering is really slow… 0.o
ComputerCraftFan11 #8
Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:51 PM
Heh, didn't see this thread till now. I guess we'll have to compete with each other to come up with the best and most playable game or something. :P/>

I just tried yours, but the character appears to be stuck underground with no way of jumping out (plus collision detection doesn't seem to be working)… What's up with it? :P/>

If you're character is underground, then just break everything right next to you and walk through.

I'll add range checks when I have pickaxes
( Pickaxes work like this:
Hand: 1-2 blocks infront
Wood: 1-3
Stone: 1-5
Diamond: 1-12
Diamond Drill: 3-15 (and mouse_drag)
)
ComputerCraftFan11 #9
Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

Edit: Also, the endering is really slow… 0.o

Idk how to fix the rendering :C
and I fixed the collision

EDIT:
I found out that the rendering was lagging because of the grass updates/ticks so I had to remove that :C
Zaggy1024 #10
Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:12 AM
If you're character is underground, then just break everything right next to you and walk through.

I'll add range checks when I have pickaxes
( Pickaxes work like this:
Hand: 1-2 blocks infront
Wood: 1-3
Stone: 1-5
Diamond: 1-12
Diamond Drill: 3-15 (and mouse_drag)
)

Oh, that's a cool idea… I've been trying to figure out how to implement block breaking properly (with limits that change with diff tools), but I'm still not sure how I'm gonna do it…
nutcase84 #11
Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:27 AM
Awesome!
ComputerCraftFan11 #12
Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:48 PM
Awesome!

I added Crafting and moving items in your inventory (press E and click a item, then click a place to move it to), but I didn't add any recipes yet :C

I also fixed the land generator (Chunks didn't carry the correct information about their position in the world, so sometimes new chunks generated over the last ones)

TLDR:
- Chunk errors gone
- Crafting
- Splashes
AndreWalia #13
Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:05 PM
Why not make the controls WASD by defualt?
Sammich Lord #14
Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:52 PM
Will there be any Mod API for the game and do you allow modifying and re-distributing the code?
billysback #15
Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:53 AM
Here's a little program that lets you mod any program as long as you sort of install it;

To run it on this just put the line:

function run(mods)
in line 582
and the line:

end
function startup() end
after all of the code, then download this program:
http://pastebin.com/3e0Y0ShV

fiddle with the settings so it works then run that program.

I haven't had time to test it, but it should work, to edit any other game to make it compatible with the mod basically just wrap the loop with a run(mods) function and wrap a part of the code in which important variables are set in startup() function

to make mods just make one function named "run" with one parameter "main" which is the program, so for this you could call

main.registerBlock( 333, "Rainbow", colors.pink, 33)
ComputerCraftFan11 #16
Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:10 AM
Here's a little program that lets you mod any program as long as you sort of install it;

To run it on this just put the line:

function run(mods)
in line 582
and the line:

end
function startup() end
after all of the code, then download this program:
http://pastebin.com/3e0Y0ShV

fiddle with the settings so it works then run that program.

I haven't had time to test it, but it should work, to edit any other game to make it compatible with the mod basically just wrap the loop with a run(mods) function and wrap a part of the code in which important variables are set in startup() function

to make mods just make one function named "run" with one parameter "main" which is the program, so for this you could call

main.registerBlock( 333, "Rainbow", colors.pink, 33)

Is 333 the ID? IDs have to be less then 256 :3 (Or the game won't load it/it won't fully be compatible)
billysback #17
Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:15 AM
whatever, I picked a random number.
just do 33 then :P/>
ComputerCraftFan11 #18
Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:32 AM
Update! I added seeds, to use them run the program likes this:

mineception <seed (can contain spaces :D/>)>
anonimo182 #19
Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:52 AM
One thing you could also implement custom key bindings
AndreWalia #20
Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:27 AM
found a bug:
If your going left and you're holding the left and you have moved at least 2 blocks since you started holding left, you will be able to walk through anything.
But no matter what you do you can not go through blocks on the right side.
(obviously air is counted out)
anonimo182 #21
Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:57 AM
found a bug:
If your going left and you're holding the left and you have moved at least 2 blocks since you started holding left, you will be able to walk through anything.
But no matter what you do you can not go through blocks on the right side.
(obviously air is counted out)
Arleady found that bug, is when loading chunks
FireKave #22
Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:37 AM
this is pretty awesome in my eyes since i am just starting to code stuff this is something that i would have tought been impossible
Bubba #23
Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:09 AM
this is pretty awesome in my eyes since i am just starting to code stuff this is something that i would have tought been impossible

Nothing is impossible. Some things are just really difficult.
Shnupbups #24
Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:42 AM
I like the mind = blown bit. Also, it'd be cool if you could save your worlds into a folder (a hidden folder called .minecraft) so you can load them up again…
ComputerCraftFan11 #25
Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:38 PM
I like the mind = blown bit. Also, it'd be cool if you could save your worlds into a folder (a hidden folder called .minecraft) so you can load them up again…

There already is a .minecraft folder with a 'mods' and 'saves' folder inside (it ws the first thing I added :3)

I'll add saves when I add multiplayer (not too far)
pielover88888 #26
Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:16 PM
I wonder how hard it would be to make sand fall.. lol I'd love to see creepers, and tnt go off and make lag by having alot of sand fall xD
ComputerCraftFan11 #27
Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:22 PM
I wonder how hard it would be to make sand fall.. lol I'd love to see creepers, and tnt go off and make lag by having alot of sand fall xD

Fancy mode is coming soon :D/> (Toggled in settings)

Good part:
Everything is more HD and not just 1 pixel
The GUI is identical to the current minecraft

Bad parts:
Everything is zoomed in and a little slower :C
anonimo182 #28
Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:27 PM
Well, hoping to see crafting(working) and multiplayer
Zaggy1024 #29
Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Good part:

Bad parts:

Care to post screenies? :D/>

Also, does this mean a yes to falling sand? I wanted to beat you to block updates. My implementation (which was working at one point) is far from completed now, because I've been convinced by multiple people to use a more events-based approach to them.
GeniusName3 #30
Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:08 PM
I can't believe I am the only one asking for controls :l how do you craft?
BustedEarLobes #31
Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:26 PM
Haha, I remember when you started out making a mario type game… Did you actually use some of the code from that?
ComputerCraftFan11 #32
Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:51 PM
Haha, I remember when you started out making a mario type game… Did you actually use some of the code from that?

I use the same character moving method in every game I create ;D
I can't believe I am the only one asking for controls :l how do you craft?

The controls aren't finished (sadly) you can only move items by left in inventory and no recipes are here yet

Good part:

Bad parts:

Care to post screenies? :D/>

Also, does this mean a yes to falling sand? I wanted to beat you to block updates. My implementation (which was working at one point) is far from completed now, because I've been convinced by multiple people to use a more events-based approach to them.

My idea was to store everything in a table with information about the next event for the blocks

A little off topic:
What happened to your post? It got a little buried over the days :P/>
Zaggy1024 #33
Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:54 PM
A little off topic:

Well, block updates are supposed to be the next feature (crafting should come afterwards because I can't have trees without block updates), and I haven't really been able to figure out how to make block updates work in a good events-based manner.
ComputerCraftFan11 #34
Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:45 PM
A little off topic:

Well, block updates are supposed to be the next feature (crafting should come afterwards because I can't have trees without block updates), and I haven't really been able to figure out how to make block updates work in a good events-based manner.

Since I use a API for everything, i'll add a function that runs os.startTimer and stores the variable data in a table and the block data inside that table, kinda like this:

local blockUpdate = {
  [ os.startTimer( 0 ) ] = {
	   ["Func"] = blockFall, --Runs with this parameter: blockUpdate[ stuff ]["Func"]( posX, posY )
	   ["next"] = 0, --seconds until next update
  },
}
FuuuAInfiniteLoop(F.A.I.L) #35
Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:43 PM
Make minecraft in computercraft in minecraft in computercraft in minecraft (make a computer block that can open a gui with the program)
Dlcruz129 #36
Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:03 PM
Make minecraft in computercraft in minecraft in computercraft in minecraft (make a computer block that can open a gui with the program)

Good job bumping a month old post.
LWSrocks #37
Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:17 PM
This is gonna sound really dumb, but how do I exit MineCeption when I am done playing
ComputerCraftFan11 #38
Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:25 AM
This is gonna sound really dumb, but how do I exit MineCeption when I am done playing

Just terminate it.
FuuuAInfiniteLoop(F.A.I.L) #39
Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:59 PM
Update it!! with a mod API(maybe you have to modify a source file(make it use a lot of files so easier to mod) to install it and the it load the other things)
Derp_Herpsworth #40
Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:29 AM
"When generating land, your character turns into chuck norris and swims through it :C"

I've LOL'd at that part. But, shouldn't you try to make a new version?
Skullblade #41
Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:31 AM
"When generating land, your character turns into chuck norris and swims through it :C"

I've LOL'd at that part. But, shouldn't you try to make a new version?
no bump
rhysjack7 #42
Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:45 AM
Please Can I Use This In CraftdowsOS
wilcomega #43
Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:45 AM
this is very awesome, now make cc in minecraft in cc in minecraft in your computer :3
also maybe 3d, by ising that 3d engine
Sariaz #44
Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:59 AM
Great game cant wait to see it when you add all minecraft content. Who knows maybe eventually you'll start adding mod support and extra content then the student shall surpass the master :P/>. Again great work you definitely deserve your title.
MinecraftRocks999 #45
Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:11 PM
Can I add this to my CC OS called PaulOS
ComputerCraftFan11 #46
Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:46 PM
Can I add this to my CC OS called PaulOS

Sure! But i'm working on a new even better one. I'll message you when I finish.