This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
ds84182's profile picture

Simple Language Competition!

Started by ds84182, 19 December 2012 - 12:37 PM
ds84182 #1
Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:37 PM
This started on IRC.
The task is to make a simple programming/scripting language in lua using words from the English Language.
My sample code:

Create Susie, a Human
Make Susie 6 feet tall
Tell me how tall Susie is

--Output--
6 feet
Your programs have to:
  • Have a way of input and output via files and screens
  • Still use the English Language.
  • Doesn't have characters like {,},<,> (or any character not used in the English Language.)
  • It can be any style of writing (Do it like a cookbook XD)
Please message me any questions. Submit in the post. It has to be working ComputerCraft lua code! Let the challange commence!
Sammich Lord #2
Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:44 PM
This is VERY difficult. I am going to love to see peoples' entries.
ETHANATOR360 #3
Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:48 PM
well this is going to be intresting im expecting alot of stuff that looks like lol code
ds84182 #4
Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:11 PM
well this is going to be intresting im expecting alot of stuff that looks like lol code
Well, Lolcode is not english (It's Internet Slang), and it is not arranged into sentences.
I hope I don't see anything that looks like Lolcode, because I want to show some of the entries to my Language Arts teacher, which doesn't know much about computers. I also hope people won't make it exactly like a programming language with terms like file and variable and other things.
Sammich Lord #5
Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:17 PM
Well, Lolcode is not english (It's Internet Slang), and it is not arranged into sentences.
I hope I don't see anything that looks like Lolcode, because I want to show some of the entries to my Language Arts teacher, which doesn't know much about computers. I also hope people won't make it exactly like a programming language with terms like file and variable and other things.
I think some people will just make a wrapper for Lua. Like have "hello" mean function or something.
Noodle #6
Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:21 PM
This actually seems really easy.
All you would have to do is make the bot look for the signal/command word then iterate through it until it hits the next signal/command word.
Cranium #7
Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:25 PM
All you would have to do is make the bot look for the signal/command word then iterate through it until it hits the next signal/command word.
Holy crap, you're ALIVE!

On topic: I think the easiest thing to do is use some string matching to convert the words into different functions, variables, etc.
Noodle #8
Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:27 PM
Holy crap, you're ALIVE!

On topic: I think the easiest thing to do is use some string matching to convert the words into different functions, variables, etc.
Yep. I'm back, but not for good. I'm working on a few other projects ahead of this world. Don't expect to see me anywhere else besides the irc or here.

On Topic: That is what I said, signals/commands trigger functions.