This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
theoriginalbit's profile picture

[Addition] Keyboard/Mouse

Started by theoriginalbit, 20 December 2012 - 03:22 PM
theoriginalbit #1
Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:22 PM
I think it could be nice to have a keyboard and mouse combo that allows use to interact with a computer while looking at a monitor, I feel this would open up some REALLY nice programs as people are then not restricted to the tiny computer screen, since interaction with games on the terminal while its being displayed on a monitor is impossible.
AfterLifeLochie #2
Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:41 PM
This may or may not be in the works already - spoilers ahead, read on if you dare.

SpoilerIn a recent "sneak peek" video, Cloudy demonstrated a possible feature of click-able monitors by punching them at a specific co-ordinate (like clicking Computers currently functions at the moment). I would locate the video, but alas, I can't find it anymore, and I don't know if this feature is any immediate releases - might come in 1.48, perhaps?

There are also a few peripherals (CCInput) that do this already.
theoriginalbit #3
Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:47 PM
Reply to spoilers - if you dare

SpoilerWell when testing out the beta today i did notice that the advanced monitor when right-clicked didn't place one in front like the normal monitor did, but i didn't take much note of it until now…. man i hope its an indication that its going in!!! :D/>

And I do know there are peripherals, but i feel native support would be better :)/>
AfterLifeLochie #4
Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:52 PM
To be honest, both native support and peripherals are just as fine - so long as the peripherals behave well. I personally have no problem using CCInput at the moment, but that's just my preference. More to the point, it is possibly on the way.
ChunLing #5
Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:15 PM
For those lucky enough to be able to get CCInput to work, at least. I love the concept, but I have yet to successfully get any version of that mod to work for me.
AfterLifeLochie #6
Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:16 PM
For those lucky enough to be able to get CCInput to work, at least. I love the concept, but I have yet to successfully get any version of that mod to work for me.
Point taken, it can be a bit… derpy and awkward at times. :P/>
ChunLing #7
Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:25 PM
"derpy and awkward at times" would be okay. But I've tried basically every version, and can't get any of them to work, at all (in the 1.2.5 version, I had the mod running and could craft the receiver and remote, and connect the remote to the receiver and all, but it didn't send any events when I tried to use the remote–and that was pretty much the high point for me). It's okay though, I got the CC portable working and had a lot of fun with that in 1.2.5, and in later versions I can just use a turtle for a portable rednet console until the main CC gets a portable computer (a labeled turtle is a better use of an inventory space, it's just somewhat less convenient than the PDA or a working remote).