This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Cranium's profile picture

Advanced Modems

Started by Cranium, 20 December 2012 - 05:15 PM
Cranium #1
Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:15 PM
Different from this post: http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/7323-addition-advance-modem/

My suggestion was in concurrence with adding frequencies to ComputerCraft.
Make an advanced modem the same way, but instead of Stone, you use Gold. This would allow existing programs to be able to use the old functions through rednet, and open frequencies to Advanced Modems only.

By default, the normal modems would send an listen on frequency 0. Advanced modems would have a frequency range. I think somewhere around 256. (binary, lol)

Let me know if you think this is a good idea!
theoriginalbit #2
Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:26 PM
So do you kinda mean like how we currently have routers in real life that broadcast on 2.4GHz and 5GHz?
Cranium #3
Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:35 PM
Yeah. Kinda like that. More like walkie-talkies though.
The low end models (non-advanced) would have the same frequency that you could not change, and the high end models would enable further customization.
A function like isModemAdvanced() or something could be added to check if a modem is advanced so that coders could write around the limitations.
Sebra #4
Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:12 AM
Not a bad idea, but not a very good really.
1. Please thinking about Rednet, think about "some communication mean", not about Modems only.
2. I think word "frequency" is bad here. Use "channel" instead. Just a word ;)/> but without that physical tie.
3. I like you leave old Modems without change. But new ones would barely change anything.
4. No need for "isModemAdvanced()". Just try to set channel any be ready for failure response.
Cranium #5
Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:02 AM
That could work. If you try to change the channel on a non advanced modem, it would return a failure event, or perhaps channel would just be nil, like when http is disabled. So it would read

if not channel then
    print("No channel selection available")
    return
else
    --set channel
end
theoriginalbit #6
Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:40 AM
actually i would expect some more like

if not modem.setChannel then
  print("No channel selection available")
  return
else
  modem.setChannel(45)
end
Sebra #7
Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:23 AM
Normally you do not have "modem" variable. It's more like "rednet.open("right")".
But rednet can be able to translate rednet.setChannel(sPort, … ) to tPortPeripheral[sPort].setChannel( … )
Cranium #8
Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:28 AM
Hmmm, rednet.setChannel() would make more sense. It could return nil if there is either no modem attached, or no advanced modem attached.
You could have a computer broadcast on at least 6 separate channels separately at the same time.
Sebra #9
Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:36 AM
It could return nil (or false) if no Peripheral on that side. Else rednet should return what Peripheral return. And imho Peripheral should return success boolean and previous settings.
You could have rednet to use any Peripheral with all methods needed.