This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Khento's profile picture

RedID - Rednet Network System

Started by Khento, 22 December 2012 - 11:07 AM
Khento #1
Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:07 PM
This is still a work in progress. It has no practical use by itself.
English is not my first language so I'm sorry if this looks confusing.

What it is
SpoilerRedID is a way of sending and receiving rednet messages to a Server or other computers that are outside a computer's range.
This system works with "Antennas" that resend the messages they receive to the next antenna/computer.
RedID uses something I call NetID which is basically the address of each computer.

The Server's NetID will always be it's computer ID. Example: 3
Antennas connected directly to the Server will have their computer ID appended before the Server's NetID. Example: 5x3
Antennas and Computers connected to an Antenna will have their computer ID appended before the closest Antenna's NetID. Example: 6x5x3

If a computer with computer ID 9 connects to the Antenna with NetID 6x5x3, the computer's NetID will be 9x6x5x3.
That computer will send a message to computer 6.
Computer 6 will send a message to computer 5.
Finally, computer 5 will send the message to the server.

The server will do the same thing but in the opposite direction.

API
SpoilerI wrote an API to allow other programs to send and receive RedID messages. It can be found inside the APIs folder.

Download
Spoilerhttps://github.com/Leonardoas26/RedID

These programs include the Config API by ben657
pielover88888 #2
Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:23 PM
hm, it appears that every idea i plan to code gets cranked out the next day.. anyway, that seems really good :)/>
isavegas #3
Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:58 PM
VERY nifty sounding! I'd imagine that this would work beautifully with email systems, automation, and whatnot, especially since it makes it FAR FAR easier to have a Master computer and/or server connect to a wide range of a world. I'll definitely give this a try. Only problem is that I tend to play single player mostly, and I don't know if my computer could handle the giant range of automation I want to build and attach to this (everything from a wheat farm powered by a skeleton spawner to a cake generator to several turtle replication factories.) ^^ Good work! I'll definitely be back to offer any suggestions or report bugs. :D/>