This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Mailmanq!'s profile picture

Too Many OSes

Started by Mailmanq!, 23 December 2012 - 05:18 AM
Mailmanq! #1
Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:18 AM
I think there are just too many OSes that have very little practical use. They kind of just shatter creativity by letting people go without making things. I plan on making a OS gear mostly towards making it easier to be creative and make your own programs. I think OSes with just a GUI lock you out of the true meaning of ComputerCraft. On MineTV Dan200 even said he thinks ComputerCraft brings back the mentality that when you need to do something with a computer, you make a program for it. What do you guys think? :)/>
Leo Verto #2
Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:41 AM
A lot of good OSes are just being ignored because there are too many of them, I think a well set up table of OSes on the wiki (including requirements [eg. http api, advanced computer, monitor], basic description and features) would make it a lot easier to find new ones and to try them out.

I think I'll create this now,
KaoS #3
Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:18 AM
I have a… different… view of them. to my mind the OSes that many are creating are really just their way of customizing their consoles. I think everyone should make their own and use it themselves. I do not mind the flood of posts as it is an important part of the learning curve
CoolisTheName007 #4
Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:36 AM
Well, I view some OS's as created by necessity of organizing a lot of extra functionality. One-file programs are a pain to build if you keep re-using code from other programs. In my case, my multitasking framework, while compatible with normal programs, changes the way you run a program and already depends on a lot of other API's I made/collected/adapted. A way to increase the odd's of someone using it (which is my ultimate goal; I do not agree that people need to start from 0, there's way to much to do, even when helped by other's code) is to pack it all in one install, easy to use OS-like thing.
Sammich Lord #5
Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:09 PM
Even though there are a lot of them, the good ones always stick out. Like NDF-OS or the upcoming CommuteOS. All the posts do get quite annoying though.
Leo Verto #6
Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:14 PM
Ok, I started a clear and easy-to-.read table of custom OSes on the wiki.
Feel free to add your OS, but please try to keep alphabetical order!
http://www.computercraft.info/wiki/Category:OSes
Sammich Lord #7
Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:20 PM
Ok, I started a clear and easy-to-.read table of custom OSes on the wiki.
Feel free to add your OS, but please try to keep alphabetical order!
http://www.computerc...i/Category:OSes
I would add CommuteOS if I knew how to edit the table on the wiki :P/> The markup for Mediawiki scares me.
Leo Verto #8
Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:40 PM
I would add CommuteOS if I knew how to edit the table on the wiki :P/> The markup for Mediawiki scares me.
Just message me the information to add.
BigSHinyToys #9
Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:57 PM
Computer Craft comes very raw with just enough to let you make your own code. While this encourages creating your won code to solve a problem it also means projects get repeated a lot as there are no "standards" some examples door locks,network protocols, multi tasking,turtle positioning (GPS) . "OS's" are a way to standardize at least in part some of the above into one package. having a more stable base can allow for more complex applications built on top of it with our needing to build all those pieces your self. for higher complexity applications to be created in CC there needs to be some kind of standards. Making a "OS's" is also some what of a right of passage proving a person has some lua / code skills.

With the recent addition of touch screen monitors a multi tasking system that directs touch events to the correct application running on what ever monitor will be needed allowing one computer to run six different application simultaneously. A standard for this would also be nice to have.

There are a lot of OS's and some are more affective than others but they should all be given the same public exposure and let the consumer decide with to use.
Mailmanq! #10
Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:01 PM
I completely agree with the idea of people using OSes for organization, and things working together ect. . My favorite thing about the abundance of OSes is that it is a bunch of ingenious code I could use for inspiration. But quite dislike the exclusive GUIs with no option for a shell. The "OS" I am making is just a custom shell and many libraries for people to make a simple way for people to run multi-file structures.