This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Flyin_Spaghetti's profile picture

Targetable Turtles

Started by Flyin_Spaghetti, 24 December 2012 - 09:09 AM
Flyin_Spaghetti #1
Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:09 AM
If turtles were targetable by other turtles we would be able to play programming games like C Robots and have them fight each other.

Also a nice addition could be dispenser turtles for fighting purposes.

If they were targetable by mobs it would make them less awesome but more realistic.
Cranium #2
Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:12 AM
You could actually make a program that uses GPS to target other turtles. It's a little annoying, as you would have to write in some pathfinding, but it is definitely available in the current build of CC.
Flyin_Spaghetti #3
Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:46 AM
What I meant by targetable was not a programming feature. I meant they should be able to hit, damage and destroy other turtles and got destroyed by mobs. I suppose having mob recognize a block as an enemy might be tricky though I never attempted to edit minecraft code so I dont have a clear idea. but making them damageable by other turtles should be easier than that.

the former problem can be solved by turning them into programmable mobs instead of blocks that move within the grid to facilitate their interactions with other inventories and stationary computers and peripherals.
JJRcop #4
Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:09 PM
Turning Turtles into Entities instead of leaving them as Tile Entities sounds terrible.
Dlcruz129 #5
Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:10 PM
Just have them send messages to each other.

hp = 100
id, msg, dist = rednet.receive()
if id == turtleid then
  if msg == "gotcha" then
    print("Took 10 damage")
    hp-=10
    if hp == 0 then
	  print("Dead!")
    end
  end
end

Just a basic script.
ChunLing #6
Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:33 PM
Removing turtles as they currently exist from the mod is a non-starter.

Adding a programmable utility mob is an interesting idea that is still under consideration, but not in development as far as I know.
Cloudy #7
Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:17 PM
Yeah, not gonna happen. Way too complicated for little gain.
Sebra #8
Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:06 AM
You can simulate Turtle fighting by messaging.
You can program Turtles to .dig() each other.
You can try MiscPeripherals for Mining Laser to fire.
Time to cho-o-ose ;)/>
Flyin_Spaghetti #9
Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:53 PM
Yep I can run a master program that calls the players' program and have turtles notify each other when they detect one another. Though one could modify the master program to cheat quite easily in mutliplayer. I suppose that could be handled by a running the programs on a single computer that transmits signals to the turtles.

Mining and laser peripherals would cause one hit ko's which would leave a lot to luck.

if someday programmable utility mods arrive, now that will be something.
Sebra #10
Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:07 AM
Make one "Judge" Computer to get all "moves" from "Fighters" and give out "move results". "Fighters" should send all their "moves" to "Judge" including "attacks". If "Fighter" found in different place it tell, immediate "game lost".
Think creative, make your rules.
if someday programmable utility mods arrive, now that will be something.
Isn`t it CC exactly?
ChunLing #11
Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:51 PM
Tile entities have a number of (oft remarked) differences from entities, including mobs.

A turtle fight using a pair of autonomous, programmed turtles, each trying to find and dig the other, could be interesting. But it would be a pure battle of wits, rather than a "fight" in the more conventional sense. I think that would be actually more interesting, but that's just me. It would certainly be far less of a waste of resources.