This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
PixelToast's profile picture

my new BIOS

Started by PixelToast, 07 January 2013 - 05:39 AM
PixelToast #1
Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:39 AM
im working on a new bios now, with a boot order, partitions, a nice UI and MORE!
you can now set your HDD to boot before your disk drive
and if you manage to delete your OS? no worries just open up the menu boot from a disk drive and reinstall craftOS
you will also be able to set your BIOS password, boot from LAN cable, boot from peripheral cable divices and even make new partitions on your computer and mount them

and yes, it modifys bios.lua, but it will be worth it!
optionally you will be able to remove everything but the booting features if you are on a server and dont want everyone to use the bios to its full extent

pics and more info later
nutcase84 #2
Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:45 AM
This will be cool when it's done. Hope to see some screenies soon!
Dlcruz129 #3
Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:07 AM
you can now set your disk drive to boot before your disk drive

Typo.
PixelToast #4
Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:10 AM
you can now set your disk drive to boot before your disk drive

Typo.
lol thanks
D3matt #5
Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:07 AM
Boot from LAN?
lieudusty #6
Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:28 AM
Boot from LAN?
Netboot would be nice :D/>
PixelToast #7
Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:33 AM
there will also be boot from bundled cable :D
PixelToast #8
Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:39 PM
screenshot of the device menu posted :3
dosent do anything but list devices currently :/
booting / device order is next

anyway, im off to bed c u later
CoolisTheName007 #9
Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:59 PM
This is awesome. Finally a implementation of the boot order change. This could become the reference for non-pvp anti-grief boot replacements.
Dlcruz129 #10
Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:45 PM
Are you gonna offer security for certain functions that can be harmful to the server? (Can't remember them atm)
PixelToast #11
Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:17 PM
not sure what you mean by harmful to the server :/
im just going to hook the fs, io and peripheral API
and implement passwords for booting and changing bios settings

oh AND it will allow you to use your own bios.lua allowing for some easy top level coroutine hacks and unrestricted _G access
Dlcruz129 #12
Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:25 PM
not sure what you mean by harmful to the server :/
im just going to hook the fs, io and peripheral API
and implement passwords for booting and changing bios settings

oh AND it will allow you to use your own bios.lua allowing for some easy top level coroutine hacks and unrestricted _G access

I don't know much about them, but I've heard that certain scripts can severely lag/crash a server.
PixelToast #13
Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:31 PM
i dont think ANY securety features are implemented in craftOS, and if there are any i will make sure they are included in my BIOS
iownall555 #14
Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:48 PM
PixelToast this looks really neat. So when you make a new computer does it install CraftOS onto it automatically or do you need to do it manually from a disk or the BIOS?
PixelToast #15
Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:53 PM
you will need access to the servers /mods/ComputerCraft/lua/bios.lua in order to install it
after that it will be automatically installed for every single computer
Mendax #16
Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:13 PM
This looks good, can't wait! :D/>
PixelToast #17
Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:36 PM
if you want i have a beta version of the ui here
this DOES NOT REPLACE BIOS.LUA
basically it will try to recognise all the devices connected to the computer (including ones over peripheral cables)
but due to a bug in xfels peripherals cables putting a disk drive with data on it will crash Dx
a device is bootable if it has .boot/bios.lua on it

the GUI rendering might look like spaghetti because i have a weird obsession with custom rendering
D3matt #18
Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:25 PM
I'd suggest taking a look at this: http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/5651-top-level-coroutine-override/ That might allow you to effectively load your custom BIOS without replacing BIOS.lua.
CoolisTheName007 #19
Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:10 AM
I'd suggest taking a look at this: http://www.computerc...utine-override/ That might allow you to effectively load your custom BIOS without replacing BIOS.lua.
It does allow to replace the bios and the shell (and it's a nice hack),but only after the shell has run startup files and started. Part of the idea of the OP is avoid the override of startup files in the computer internal memory by malicious startup files in adjacent disk drives.
PixelToast #20
Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:51 AM
I'd suggest taking a look at this: http://www.computerc...utine-override/ That might allow you to effectively load your custom BIOS without replacing BIOS.lua.
nah, as cool said, it wont allow me to replace the boot order
and i prefer actually editing the BIOS
Alice #21
Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:02 PM
Since code is run server-side, is it possible to stick the bios.lua into the server's version of CC and run it without modifying all the client's files?

Just realized how old this is; does it even work still?
Edited on 12 December 2013 - 11:05 AM
D3matt #22
Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:49 PM
Since code is run server-side, is it possible to stick the bios.lua into the server's version of CC and run it without modifying all the client's files?

Just realized how old this is; does it even work still?
Yes of course(you answered your own question), and probably.
Alice #23
Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:33 PM
New account, still TheCreeperDJ. Different name, but anyways,

Just want to say this is an excellent idea and I plan on using this a lot. Also, you should add it to CC Warfare server.so my computers don't look that ugly with all the signs around them to prevent from disk boot :D/>
PixelToast #24
Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:35 PM
i have to be honest the only thing that is working is the UI
yes im adding it to the server (if i even get the boot part working), where else am i supposed to test it :P/>
probably not before it becomes public though, give me awhile to fix httpnet and ^v
Alice #25
Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:00 PM
You could've tested it on a separate instance…
Updating ^v better include that $$command bug XD