This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Heracles421's profile picture

[cc 1.5x] Cciri - The Best Siri/encyclopedia Program For Computer Craft. V 2.1

Started by Heracles421, 09 January 2013 - 06:07 PM
Heracles421 #1
Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

CCiri V 2.1

Yup, that's right, now we have Siri in Minecraft! How does it work? Well, you can input almost anything, then, that input is sent to Wolfram Alpha* which then sends the answer back. Incredible, isn't it? Want to know about Steve Jobs? Ask CCiri! Maybe about pirates? Well, ask CCiri. Now you want to do complex maths? Don't worry, CCiri can handle it!

*Wolfram Alpha limits the requests/month to 2000, why? Because I have a free dev license, which sadly has some limitations

Pictures:
SpoilerYou wanted pictures? Well, here you go!

Downloading CCiri from pastebin

The installer in action

Running the actual program

Loading animation

Inside the program

Being polite by saying hi

Look! CCiri is polite too

Because, who doesn't love cookies?

A Lot of information about cookies

Because everyone of us has had the same question

It looks like cake is not a lie after all!

Handling maths

Even better than a scientific calculator

Talking with him about her mother program

What else do we need to know

Code:
Spoiler

http://pastebin.com/PRUuJxf6
BETA: http://pastebin.com/vi275s3k

Installation:
SpoilerOnline:
Spoiler
  1. Right click any computer (Duh)
  2. Type pastebin get kfSYf5X2 installCCiri
  3. Enjoy!

Offline:
Spoiler
  1. Go to your minecraft folder
  2. Go to the saves folder and look for your world
  3. Go to a folder named computer
  4. In there you should see multiple folders with numbers, choose the folder that has your computer's ID number
  5. Paste the program there
  6. Enjoy!

Usage:
Spoiler
  • When the microphone appears, type any question you have an hit enter. Ex: Hi; What is the speed of light?; What is your name?; Is cake a lie? (<— Works!)
  • The incoming message will appear shortly, giving you a list of multiple answers for your question
  • If you want to ask anything else hit the 'x' key and it will take you back to the microphone screen

Changelog:
Spoiler

January 8: Released version 1.0

January 9: Released version 1.1

January 11: Released version 2.0
  • New features:
  • Fixed the annoying scrolling bug
  • Finally fixed the Loading bar not working
  • Added a new starting animation, using TheOriginalBIT's Load Bar API (Thanks for this!)
  • Added a new installer, it will automatically download all the needed dependencies
  • Finally, added more App Keys to increase the max queries/month you can make (You may get an error message from the server, that means you're using an empty App Key, simply press X and try again)

March 8: Released version 2.0
  • New features:
  • Updated to use the most resent Load Bar API
  • Tweaked a little bit the way it gets messages
  • Added more API keys. I hope you request eaters are happy!

Known Bugs:
Spoiler
  • None ATM, look for some

Credits:
Spoiler
  • brett122798 - Original idea
  • zekesonxx - Loading animation
  • Kingdaro - Code to format the incoming answer
  • TheOriginalBIT, remiX - Helping with the scrolling
theoriginalbit #2
Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:08 PM
Double post… Request one be removed through the "Report" link :)/>
Heracles421 #3
Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:41 PM
Sorry, hehe. I requested the removal of the other one, this will be the one we'll use
theoriginalbit #4
Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:43 PM
Haha… Ok :)/>
nutcase84 #5
Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:33 AM
Nice!
anonimo182 #6
Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:33 AM
Nice! I supose you and brett are not a team anymore?

Edit: It works, but you should make an spoiler on how to use it, like some example questions
Heracles421 #7
Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:45 AM
Nice! I supose you and brett are not a team anymore?

Edit: It works, but you should make an spoiler on how to use it, like some example questions

Well, Brett wanted to take another path, so I released this one that uses http API

About the example questions, I'll post them in a bit, but you can ask almost anything
Skullblade #8
Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:57 AM
This is really cool; so if i understand the code correctly this is just a program that sends all the stuff to wolfram(like siri),

ONE problem though is that if there a bunch of synonyms and stuff you get presented with a wall of similar words and the important stuff like the definition gets pushed off the screen. if there was a scrolling function then you could see all the results:D

really cool, love it
Heracles421 #9
Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:16 AM
This is really cool; so if i understand the code correctly this is just a program that sends all the stuff to wolfram(like siri),

ONE problem though is that if there a bunch of synonyms and stuff you get presented with a wall of similar words and the important stuff like the definition gets pushed off the screen. if there was a scrolling function then you could see all the results:D

really cool, love it
I am trying hard to implement scrolling because of that reason, but everything I try seems to fail, even though TheOriginalBIT is helping
Skullblade #10
Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:20 AM
hummm mind if I take a quick look…probably couldn't help though

oh and LOL U SAID DOUGH :P/>
Skullblade #11
Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:06 AM
From your code the easiest way to implement scrolling would be to make scrolling is to change how you print from a table. First add the text to a table at the end of the table and then when its done adding the text have it print the text from the table(table) and just have "i" starting at how far down you scrolled but have it stop at X number of prints so not to push it off the screen. When you scroll down the starting point of the table (i)is one more then what it originally would be, etc etc.

Tell me if this makes since if it doesn't ill try to explain more
Heracles421 #12
Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:58 AM
From your code the easiest way to implement scrolling would be to make scrolling is to change how you print from a table. First add the text to a table at the end of the table and then when its done adding the text have it print the text from the table(table) and just have "i" starting at how far down you scrolled but have it stop at X number of prints so not to push it off the screen. When you scroll down the starting point of the table (i)is one more then what it originally would be, etc etc.

Maybe I could do something like

swidth,sheight = term.getSize()
for i = 1,sheight do
  if index ~= sheight then
    print(text[index])
    index = index + 1
  end
end

For the scrolling:

if param = 208 then
  if index <= #text then
    index = index + sheight - 1
    print(text[index])
  end
end

The same could apply to the upward scrolling

And yes, I wrote dough, confused the words :P/> (Not an English speaker natively)
Skullblade #13
Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:14 PM
What i did for my file browser i created a Draw() function and it printed out the results starting at i (starts at 1) then the scrolling is activated and i+1 or i-1. then it would reDraw
What you did seems seems to work fine though; prints more then screen size and takes the pushing up to advantage

Lol the dough i was just joking around about;OFF TOPIC: what language do you speak? I'm trying to learn a 3rd(German), just curious
Heracles421 #14
Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:32 PM
What i did for my file browser i created a Draw() function and it printed out the results starting at i (starts at 1) then the scrolling is activated and i+1 or i-1. then it would reDraw
What you did seems seems to work fine though; prints more then screen size and takes the pushing up to advantage

Lol the dough i was just joking around about;OFF TOPIC: what language do you speak? I'm trying to learn a 3rd(German), just curious

I will try to implement it with both methods

OFF TOPIC; I speak Spanish, O.o
remiX #15
Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Check your messages :)/>
Skullblade #16
Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:52 PM
long winded sorry…but what was i checking for?

EDIT:Heracles421 cool you speak Spanish to:D. I know Spanish and English and am trying to learn German since its so fun to speak! Everything in German sounds like a bad word :D/>
Heracles421 #17
Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:21 PM
Spoiler

Check your messages :)/>/>/>
Holly…. Thank you sooooo much, adding you to the credits
Skullblade #18
Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:24 PM
awwww now my help feels inadequate :(/>

Lol jk happy you got it working :P/>
theoriginalbit #19
Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Haha thats exactly what I suggested to him ;)/>
Skullblade #20
Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:35 PM
Lol great minds think alike I guess ^_^/>
theoriginalbit #21
Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:40 PM
yeh. lol. I've used several methods and found that one the best and easiest.
Skullblade #22
Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:43 PM
Well I just kinda made it up(or discovered for myself) while I was fiddling around with my browser and it seemed effective so I never bothered trying anything different
Heracles421 #23
Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:23 PM
Ok, released version 1.1 which fixes the scrolling bug, although it's still a little but buggy, it works now. We're working in a way to enhance it
Skullblade #24
Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:01 PM
Great ill try it out ASAP, in my phone
Skullblade #25
Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:05 AM
Just tried out :)/> scrolling helps a lot! one "bug" is that each time you scroll you need to redraw the firescreen, not just printing the stuff info (you keep scrolling down and text gets stuck to your screen)

Also 1 suggestion
You need SOME type of formatting, the sheer amount of synonyms creates a wall of text that is hard to read
- You could replace the | that wolfram uses and have it be /n (i think that is the thing for next line) it will look nicer ^_^/>

EDIT: how do you search again???
theoriginalbit #26
Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:42 AM
Just tried out :)/> scrolling helps a lot! one "bug" is that each time you scroll you need to redraw the firescreen, not just printing the stuff info (you keep scrolling down and text gets stuck to your screen)
Oh I fixed that bug… didn't tell him to fix it in his though… oops…

Also 1 suggestion
You need SOME type of formatting, the sheer amount of synonyms creates a wall of text that is hard to read
- You could replace the | that wolfram uses and have it be /n (i think that is the thing for next line) it will look nicer ^_^/>
I agree, I was attempting to fix this for him at one stage by pulling the data from Wolframalpha different'y to include headings for each section… it was quite difficult!

Also noticed this issue… i pressed ctrl + t and opened it again :P/>
Heracles421 #27
Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:56 AM
Just tried out :)/>/> scrolling helps a lot! one "bug" is that each time you scroll you need to redraw the firescreen, not just printing the stuff info (you keep scrolling down and text gets stuck to your screen)

Also 1 suggestion
- You could replace the | that wolfram uses and have it be /n (i think that is the thing for next line) it will look nicer ^_^/>/>

Well, some things seemed to bug out while adding the scroll, I'm trying to fix them atm
Skullblade #28
Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:51 PM
Well it wouldn't be that hard to convert all | to \n (Actually every other |) he already has a scanning program to scan for the data from wolfram just have it scan for more then one thing
Heracles421 #29
Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:04 PM
Well it wouldn't be that hard to convert all | to \n (Actually every other |) he already has a scanning program to scan for the data from wolfram just have it scan for more then one thing
That's the easy part, fixing the scrolling is the painfull part
theoriginalbit #30
Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:08 PM
Don't even need to scan through it all to replace | with \n … have a look at my Extended String Library, specifically the replace function…

That's the easy part, fixing the scrolling is the painfull part
I can attest this!
Skullblade #31
Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:14 PM
Yeah man scrolling is a B**** I'm working on scrolling on my browser and it only kinda works good enough. Keep at it
pielover88888 #32
Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:22 PM
It irks me, my dns errors. Um, the going-to-another-search bug..bugs me. lol
I wanna see you make a google app :P/> or perhaps a computercraft wii/forum/whatever else there is browssr that let's you sign in and such.. oh, the possibilities.
theoriginalbit #33
Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:29 PM
I wanna see you make a google app :P/> or perhaps a computercraft wii/forum/whatever else there is browssr that let's you sign in and such.. oh, the possibilities.
That would be a PAIN Interpreting from the html to Lua… its more problem than its worth I think… I attempted it a little for this, when I was trying to write him a better info extraction method, but it was just horrible to do…
Edited on 11 January 2013 - 12:30 PM
pielover88888 #34
Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:56 PM
o_o well, in that case, I wonder if the Luakit web browser's api's would work in computercraft.. since that uses X11/x11 I doubt it'd work, might be with a shot though.
Heracles421 #35
Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:01 PM
Yea, TheOriginalBIT is right, the code I get comes in XML, and luckily I was able to retrieve just the answer with some simple methods, but HTML is another story, that would be impossible to implement. Maybe not impossible, but really, really, really hard to do
theoriginalbit #36
Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:05 PM
Yea, TheOriginalBIT is right, the code I get comes in XML, and luckily I was able to retrieve just the answer with some simple methods, but HTML is another story, that would be impossible to implement. Maybe not impossible, but really, really, really hard to do

Even XML was difficult… I was attempting to strip out all the tags and just have the title and plaintext from the pods for you…. very difficult to get accurate, couldn't do it…
Heracles421 #37
Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Even XML was difficult… I was attempting to strip out all the tags and just have the title and plaintext from the pods for you…. very difficult to get accurate, couldn't do it…
That's why I just stripped the plaintext, because when I first looked at the XML code I was like: How the f*** am I going to show all of this?
theoriginalbit #38
Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

That's why I just stripped the plaintext, because when I first looked at the XML code I was like: How the f*** am I going to show all of this?

Well I was trying to use some of the functions I wrote in my Extended String Library. But I just couldn't find the right combo to work 100%… the process did have me add some new functions to the Library, so thanx :)/> , but I'm considering trying to figure it out at some point and add a stripTag function into the library. however this will be later…
Heracles421 #39
Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:39 PM
Ok, BETA 1.2 is out, with a (hopefully) working fix for the scrolling bug and for the bug that doesn't let you change screen back.
If any kind souls could try it out and tell me if it works, I'll move it to the approved code, version 1.2. And no, I won't take your souls………..

Probably…..

Edit: Forgot to say thanks RemiX for the fix
Skullblade #40
Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:54 AM
how do you get V1.2 paste bin is V1.1
Heracles421 #41
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

The link to the beta paste is there, in the code spoiler
theoriginalbit #42
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:24 AM
At some point tomorrow I think I'm going to attempt writing an XML interpreter………. maybe a HTML one too… :)/> after I get this Extended String Library into OO :)/>
PhoenixDawn #43
Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:10 AM
This program is great!

Here's an idea for your next project, I was gonna do it but you would be more successful.

Make a 'Define' script and use Urban Dictionary, this would be another great thing to do!
pielover88888 #44
Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:16 AM
Everybody ignored my luakit api idea? Really? Nobody want's to go online, with a web browser, in computercraft? * disappointed..*
theoriginalbit #45
Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:00 AM
Everybody ignored my luakit api idea? Really? Nobody want's to go online, with a web browser, in computercraft? * disappointed..*
With the amount of time I develop I never play.
Heracles421 #46
Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:06 AM
It's not released yet, the BETA 1.2 is, but not the official release because I haven't tested the code of the BETA fully
Heracles421 #47
Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:14 AM
Ok, expect a new release (2.0) in a bit.
I know what you're thinking: "2.0?! But the program was released 2 days ago!"
Well, actually the program has been doing so well that now remiX and TheOriginalBIT are helping me with it, and they've helped to the point that the program actually got fully rewrote, which means it's more user-friendly, less prone to bug and free of errors!
theoriginalbit #48
Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:32 AM
haha nice! Your using my loading bar api… :D/>
might I suggest you add in a link to it though so people don't say they are getting an error when calling it :)/>
Heracles421 #49
Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:38 AM
haha nice! Your using my loading bar api… :D/>
might I suggest you add in a link to it though so people don't say they are getting an error when calling it :)/>

Installer will download the API so people don't complain about downloading multiple dependencies
theoriginalbit #50
Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:39 AM
ok cool…. just checking ;)/> coz as its stands anyone who gets the beta, needs to get my api too…

EDIT: I've added you to my "Programs Using" list ;)/> :)/>
Edited on 12 January 2013 - 10:40 AM
Heracles421 #51
Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:44 AM
Hmm, CC won't let me move files to the rom folder…..
Heracles421 #52
Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:54 AM
Ok, version 2.0 released as an official version.
Changes:
  • Fixed the annoying scrolling bug
  • Finally fixed the Loading bar not working
  • Added a new starting animation, using TheOriginalBIT's Load Bar API (Thanks for this!)
  • Added a new installer, it will automatically download all the needed dependencies
  • Finally, added more App Keys to increase the max queries/month you can make (You may get an error message from the server, that means you're using an empty App Key, simply press X and try again)
  • Added new auto-updatig method
And again, thanks remiX for this

Edit: Herp derp, I derped and the installer was using the wrong methods, as well as the program, re-install and if you had troubles they should be fixed
brett122798 #53
Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:48 PM
Woah! Umm.. it took me a while to see this topic.. no clue why.. I did not expect you to actually release your version of the program, in fact, I believe I said you could keep your version for personal use. I mean, how do you expect this to work out once I finish my version? Have I just been kicked out of my own idea?
Heracles421 #54
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:13 PM
Woah! Umm.. it took me a while to see this topic.. no clue why.. I did not expect you to actually release your version of the program, in fact, I believe I said you could keep your version for personal use. I mean, how do you expect this to work out once I finish my version? Have I just been kicked out of my own idea?
1. Look at the credits, you're there, so, be proud I have education and that I included you, just for the reason of being ethic. 2. 100% my code, therefore I can release it if I want, because you actually did not take part into making this. 3. Many people would like having this type of program, rather than one limiting to some commands found in an in-game server
theoriginalbit #55
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

1. Look at the credits, you're there, so, be proud I have education and that I included you, just for the reason of being ethic. 2. 100% my code, therefore I can release it if I want, because you actually did not take part into making this. 3. Many people would like having this type of program, rather than one limiting to some commands found in an in-game server
4. Its implementation is quite different to your idea brett122798…
Edited on 12 January 2013 - 12:17 PM
brett122798 #56
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:28 PM
That still does not give you the right to rip my idea without permission. It may be different it it's own way, but it's the same concept.
theoriginalbit #57
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:30 PM
That still does not give you the right to rip my idea without permission. It may be different it it's own way, but it's the same concept.
Bing is the same concept as Google……… Samsung Voice (is that what its called?) is the same concept as Siri………… Every app store around the world is the same concept as the first app store………. Windows is the same concept as Unix……………….. shall I go on?
Heracles421 #58
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:31 PM
How many Door locks are out there? How many are similar? And who ripped whose idea? Well, nobody, since it's open programming, and you can do what you please. Again, I added you to the credits, I even said you had the idea, but no, you have to come here and start flaming, maybe because you won't really outstand with your program and just want to take me down?
brett122798 #59
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:39 PM
How many Door locks are out there? How many are similar? And who ripped whose idea? Well, nobody, since it's open programming, and you can do what you please. Again, I added you to the credits, I even said you had the idea, but no, you have to come here and start flaming, maybe because you won't really outstand with your program and just want to take me down?
I believe this is severely different than a door lock or an OS… that's a very easy idea to think of. I was OBVIOUSLY the first person to make a post on these forums to make Siri. I mean, you even have just about the same named program for crying out loud! Sounds the same except for the extra C.
Heracles421 #60
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:40 PM
Ok, then you rip off apple's idea, you even have the exact same name for the program as them! It's exactly the same
brett122798 #61
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:43 PM
Ok, then you rip off apple's idea, you even have the exact same name for the program as them! It's exactly the same
This is a game that I've provided with some free software for fun, different than a company that SELLS a device with the program.
theoriginalbit #62
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:43 PM
-snip-
I was OBVIOUSLY the first person to make a post on these forums to make Siri. I mean, you even have just about the same named program for crying out loud! Sounds the same except for the extra C.
A little bit of friendly competition wont hurt anyone… and if everyone was like you are being right now we would ONLY have one type of personal computer and it would be Apple, and ONE type of business computer which would be IBM… we would ONLY have C as a programming language… we would ONLY have blackberries as our 'Smart Phones'… and MANY more…. And finally we would not have your little idea that was stolen from Apple! Maybe we should get Apple in on this conversation and see how they feel about you saying that it was your idea…
brett122798 #63
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:47 PM
-snip-
I was OBVIOUSLY the first person to make a post on these forums to make Siri. I mean, you even have just about the same named program for crying out loud! Sounds the same except for the extra C.
A little bit of friendly competition wont hurt anyone… and if everyone was like you are being right now we would ONLY have one type of personal computer and it would be Apple, and ONE type of business computer which would be IBM… we would ONLY have C as a programming language… we would ONLY have blackberries as our 'Smart Phones'… and MANY more…. And finally we would not have your little idea that was stolen from Apple! Maybe we should get Apple in on this conversation and see how they feel about you saying that it was your idea…
Okay, let's get Apple in this, and all the other stolen ideas and get everyone in prison, shall we?

There's obviously something different in this situation.
Heracles421 #64
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:48 PM
Enough said, I won't remove this program, neither will do an admin because it's original, you don't have released code yet, you only had an idea, I am the first one to post the code, therefore I did not steal the program, nor the idea, because there is no actual program from you, and I gave you credit, the idea is general
brett122798 #65
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:49 PM
Enough said, I won't remove this program, neither will do an admin because it's original, you don't have released code yet, you only had an idea, I am the first one to post the code, therefore I did not steal the program, nor the idea, because there is no actual program from you, and I gave you credit, the idea is general
So what happens when I post my version?
theoriginalbit #66
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:50 PM
- snip -
No its not… thats the point I'm trying to get through your head… it is no different… well actually yes there is something different, they all have license agreements and contracts and patents, you don't…

Then you have made an IN-GAME Siri… So I guess people would love it and download it…
Heracles421 #67
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:51 PM
I could say you copied me because you stole my idea! No, actually I won't, because as I said before, ETHICS. In a company, the first one to put a product out and patent it wins, even if the idea came from another company
brett122798 #68
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:51 PM
- snip -
No its not… thats the point I'm trying to get through your head… it is no different… well actually yes there is something different, they all have license agreements and contracts and patents, you don't…
Well you'd think it'd be common sense to ask the original developer for permission have have their own version, right? Or am I missing something?
Heracles421 #69
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:52 PM
- snip -
Well you'd think it'd be common sense to ask the original developer for permission have have their own version, right? Or am I missing something?
You're missing something, indeed. You are developing, nothing released yet
brett122798 #70
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:53 PM
I could say you copied me because you stole my idea! No, actually I won't, because as I said before, ETHICS. In a company, the first one to put a product out and patent it wins, even if the idea came from another company
You see, you couldn't possibly say that because I came up with the original idea and I gave you no permission to make this. I don't understand why you didn't notify me of this at all, why not?
brett122798 #71
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:55 PM
- snip -
You're missing something, indeed. You are developing, nothing released yet
Okay, I'm pretty sure once you post a development post, you've kinda staked a claim. Even if not, it's rude.
Heracles421 #72
Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:58 PM
Spoiler

You see, you couldn't possibly say that because I came up with the original idea and I gave you no permission to make this. I don't understand why you didn't notify me of this at all, why not?
Ok, some things: I told you about this, you could be in the debs team right now, but you wanted to stick to one idea, not to open your mind and make that idea bigger and bigger. I gave you the opportunity to have this code, and you wasted it. Now, you didn't come up with the original idea, as stated above Steve Jobs did, so you're ripping off his idea. Other thing, I don't need permission to release something if it's mine, I coded all of this with help of TheOriginalBIT and remiX. If someone else wants to use this code/part of it then they NEED our approval, but not if they code from scratch as I did. And yes, I did notify you, so stop saying I didn't. I won't reply anymore to your messages unless they have something good to tell about this. Final answer
theoriginalbit #73
Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:00 PM
- snip -
I coded all of this with help of TheOriginalBIT and remiX.

Wooo go me! :P/>

- snip -
Okay, I'm pretty sure once you post a development post, you've kinda staked a claim. Even if not, it's rude.
He didn't "stake a claim"

In the OP:

brett122798 - Original idea
brett122798 #74
Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:08 PM
Spoiler

Ok, some things: I told you about this, you could be in the debs team right now, but you wanted to stick to one idea, not to open your mind and make that idea bigger and bigger. I gave you the opportunity to have this code, and you wasted it. Now, you didn't come up with the original idea, as stated above Steve Jobs did, so you're ripping off his idea. Other thing, I don't need permission to release something if it's mine, I coded all of this with help of TheOriginalBIT and remiX. If someone else wants to use this code/part of it then they NEED our approval, but not if they code from scratch as I did. And yes, I did notify you, so stop saying I didn't. I won't reply anymore to your messages unless they have something good to tell about this. Final answer
Absolutely 100% rude. Unbelievable. It was such a mistake to have you as a "developer" and rip me off. And where did you notify me, sir?

I don't know whether to give up all my code and declare that as pure wasted time or to try to work my butt off and surpass this Siri. Well, whatever, there's just no justice in this case and I'm up against somebody with no feelings. Eh.. I better start another project to get ripped off..
theoriginalbit #75
Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:11 PM
- snip -
I don't know whether to give up all my code and declare that as pure wasted time or to try to work my butt off and surpass this Siri. Well, whatever, there's just no justice in this case and I'm up against somebody with no feelings. Eh.. I better start another project to get ripped off..

I say keep going… Competition is a good thing… its what drives us as a civilisation to improve what we have and be 'better' than the other guy…
Heracles421 #76
Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:14 PM
Credits:
Spoiler

Need it bigger?
brett122798 #77
Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:15 PM
- snip -

I say keep going… Competition is a good thing… its what drives us as a civilisation to improve what we have and be 'better' than the other guy…
I most likely won't, I don't want to put all the time an effort just to get "Hey, dude, you copied that other guy that made it first!"

Credits:
Spoiler

Need it bigger?

Uhh.. not the point, but thanks I suppose.
theoriginalbit #78
Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:18 PM
I most likely won't, I don't want to put all the time an effort just to get "Hey, dude, you copied that other guy that made it first!"
But then you could be like… "Uhhh dude, look at his credits… derp on you mate…"
brett122798 #79
Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:22 PM
But then you could be like… "Uhhh dude, look at his credits… derp on you mate…"
I don't know, it still seems weird to see two out of the ordinary programs on a single page.
pielover88888 #80
Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:23 PM
This is a incredibly interesting, civilizished argument/conversation..
brett122798 #81
Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:26 PM
Incredibly frustrating.
theoriginalbit #82
Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:28 PM
Yeh not really civilised… one half is hilarious (me), the other is well not listening to anything the rest is saying (brett) and the other is making their case (Heracles)
brett122798 #83
Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:39 PM
Yeh not really civilised… one half is hilarious (me), the other is well not listening to anything the rest is saying (brett) and the other is making their case (Heracles)
You know, I think everyone would have their own opinion on this.

For example, you might get a kick outta this, but a few months ago, I was running a Tekkit private server with me and my friends. Well, my friend had a Power Flower and he was duplicating diamonds it in. While he was gone, it had filled up. So I decided, instead of wasting precious EMC, to take 15 stacks of diamonds and by the time he would get back, they'd all regenerate. So a few days later, I inform him of this and he gets ANGRY! It became a huge argument between us, so I decided to take the case to the Minecraft Forums. I made a topic explaining the whole thing and people's opinions were split about 50/50.
Skullblade #84
Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:29 PM
1) brett: calm down and stop acting like a 10 year old. He might have 'taken' "your" idea but he provided MORE then enough credit to you since he had a completely different way of making the program and the idea wasn't even yours it was a patented idea of APPLE's. calm down and stop feeling threatened by any competition, its the reason why the great economy's of the world grow!
2)Hercule: GREAT job! I love the clean interface, loading bar, and scrolling.
A couple suggestions
-(old) replace | to \n to add minor formatting
-Add colors
-Look at how siri "responds" when its loading a program. It responds with "Let me check on that for you" and other variations. While this is just a personal preference it makes it seem more "intelligent"
-the press x to search covers up part of input

Love it keep up the great work'

EDIT: oh and an exit button ctrl+t is annoying
theoriginalbit #85
Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:33 PM
1) brett: calm down and stop acting like a 10 year old. He might have 'taken' "your" idea but he provided MORE then enough credit to you since he had a completely different way of making the program and the idea wasn't even yours it was a patented idea of APPLE's. calm down and stop feeling threatened by any competition, its the reason why the great economy's of the world grow!
2)Hercule: GREAT job! I love the clean interface, loading bar, and scrolling.
A couple suggestions
-(old) replace | to \n to add minor formatting
-Add colors
-Look at how siri "responds" when its loading a program. It responds with "Let me check on that for you" and other variations. While this is just a personal preference it makes it seem more "intelligent"
-the press x to search covers up part of input

Love it keep up the great work

I've updated his XML interpreter so that data handling is better, however when I was looking at your old suggestion of replacing | with \n I found in some cases it won't look good… for example search Steve Jobs, and take a look…

I also noticed that x bug and told him about it before :)/>
Skullblade #86
Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:40 PM
yeah your right BIT…would it be easy to click a button after you get the results and have it replace the |. Then you can view it normally but if its a definition or other thing that could format you could have it format. user determined system?
theoriginalbit #87
Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:42 PM
yeah your right BIT…would it be easy to click a button after you get the results and have it replace the |. Then you can view it normally but if its a definition or other thing that could format you could have it format. user determined system?
Maybe… or… hmmm I wonder… give me an example of a few of your search phrases please, I have an idea that might, I say might, work, depending on how the data works
Skullblade #88
Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:48 PM
basically any one word that just gets defined… ex computer, person, world

then they could format it only when they want to and if there is a formatting error they could just un-format. it would work find on computer and person if you can find a way to configure it too keep things like |noun|…would work less well on world but it wouldn't be terrible. The problem is that there is not much of a standard format for wolfram
theoriginalbit #89
Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:51 PM
ahhh damn, it does a similar thing… just searched "computer" and this is a subset of the result

[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]
<pod title="Definitions" scanner="Data" id="Definition:WordData" position="200" error="false" numsubpods="1" primary="true">[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3][indent=1]

<subpod title="">
[indent=1]

<plaintext>
[indent=1]1 | noun | a machine for performing calculations automatically 2 | noun | an expert at calculation or operating calculating machines[/indent]
</plaintext>[/indent]
</subpod>[/size][/font][/color][/indent][color=#000000][font=monospace][size=3]
</pod>[/size][/font][/color]

notice the "automatically 2"

if it did it different i could have just had it search for "Definitions" and format | with \n
theoriginalbit #90
Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:53 PM
well that failed…. and I can't even edit the post… it brings up js code for some reason…. lol… hopefully you can read around it all and see what it does
brett122798 #91
Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:55 PM
Picture This: You are developing a program and you decide to post your progress on development. Then before you manage to put your program together, someone else has posted a program with the same idea as yours and you can obviously see that the person had copied your idea.

How would you feel?
Skullblade #92
Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:56 PM
yeah your right it might be more work then its work…. the only way it would really work is if you carried over the digits (the 2)..before the |noun| tot he next line, but now that I'm looking more at how they deliver their results and it gets less and less feasible

sorry if i wasted your time
theoriginalbit #93
Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:59 PM
yeah your right it might be more work then its work…. the only way it would really work is if you carried over the digits (the 2)..before the |noun| tot he next line, but now that I'm looking more at how they deliver their results and it gets less and less feasible

Nah its ok, suggestions are good… it helps make good programs… just this particular suggestion is impossible due to the way the api delivers info… really i think getting this down to what is displayed is a good job on its own… even adding the titles is hard… working on that atm… so it would actually say "Definitions" or related…

And hey, if you can figure out a way to do it, that splits it correctly 90% of the time, then tell us… but I cant see a way. :/
Skullblade #94
Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:04 PM
brett honestly I would feel flattered that
Picture This: You are developing a program and you decide to post your progress on development. Then before you manage to put your program together, someone else has posted a program with the same idea as yours and you can obviously see that the person had copied your idea.

How would you feel?

Brett I would feel honored that someone looked at my idea and thought that it was good enough to try to do themselves. I would also take it as my personal mission to work as hard as possible to make my program the very best that it can be.
One another note he barely copied your idea because he 1) made his own code 2) used a completely different approach.
Also brett your idea isn't that original…when I first got CC after literally 1 hour of typing my heart out on door locks I had the idea of a siri…and i worked on it…for like 30 then gave up because i was a noob.

But back to the point allot of the people are fine with other people using their programs in the other persons program with(sometimes without) permission, and that's how this community works, we share ideas and learn from each other and most people don't take kindly when someone is flaming about (just barely) taking a idea
Skullblade #95
Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Nah its ok, suggestions are good… it helps make good programs… just this particular suggestion is impossible due to the way the api delivers info… really i think getting this down to what is displayed is a good job on its own… even adding the titles is hard… working on that atm… so it would actually say "Definitions" or related…

And hey, if you can figure out a way to do it, that splits it correctly 90% of the time, then tell us… but I cant see a way. :/

Dude I've looked at the program and the wolfram's XML its hard and good job doing what you have done so far…it is defiantly beyond me in some places and impressive
brett122798 #96
Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:07 PM
brett honestly I would feel flattered that

How would you feel?

Brett I would feel honored that someone looked at my idea and thought that it was good enough to try to do themselves. I would also take it as my personal mission to work as hard as possible to make my program the very best that it can be.
One another note he barely copied your idea because he 1) made his own code 2) used a completely different approach.
Also brett your idea isn't that original…when I first got CC after literally 1 hour of typing my heart out on door locks I had the idea of a siri…and i worked on it…for like 30 then gave up because i was a noob.

But back to the point allot of the people are fine with other people using their programs in the other persons program with(sometimes without) permission, and that's how this community works, we share ideas and learn from each other and most people don't take kindly when someone is flaming about (just barely) taking a idea
Whatever. I just don't take it kindly and nobody respects that a single bit.
Skullblade #97
Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:09 PM
Okay i see were your coming from sorry for being so aggressive.

BTW i would love to see your siri program and what it can do? can it interact with the minecraft world?
theoriginalbit #98
Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

BTW i would love to see your siri program and what it can do? can it interact with the minecraft world?
It doesn't exist, this was part of the debate

Maybe you aren't suited to an open forum then… maybe you should just program for yourself, then the only person you have to blame for stolen ideas is you and maybe some cats…
Skullblade #99
Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

It doesn't exist, this was part of the debate

Maybe you aren't suited to an open forum then… maybe you should just program for yourself, then the only person you have to blame for stolen ideas is you and maybe some cats…

…..LOL :lol:/>…

if it doesn't even exist what did he lose…
brett122798 #100
Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

I have stopped development due to do this. It's commands were going to have nothing to do with the real world, unlike Wolfram Alpha. Like, Minecraft time, CC file system, etc..

if it doesn't even exist what did he lose…
It does exist, it's in development, or was.

Maybe not. But at the same time, I would like to enjoy the benefits of the forums. Apparently that is too much to ask for.
Skullblade #101
Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

I have stopped development due to do this. It's commands were going to have nothing to do with the real world, unlike Wolfram Alpha. Like, Minecraft time, CC file system, etc..

If it is a completely different program (which it sounds like it is) why do you feel so threatened by something like this? They are completely different programs it sounds like…only thing they (might) share is a name…
theoriginalbit #102
Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:25 PM
Maybe not. But at the same time, I would like to enjoy the benefits of the forums. Apparently that is too much to ask for.

I enjoy the benefits of the forum all the while people left, right and centre of me release programs that I've released before, or APIs that I've done before… heck I'll admit it, sometimes I see an idea I like, think "I can go one step further", so I do, then I release it……..

If it is a completely different program (which it sounds like it is) why do you feel so threatened by something like this? They are completely different programs it sounds like…only thing they (might) share is a name…
Thats what I have been saying…
brett122798 #103
Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

I don't know, something triggers in my head when I think about it. I'm probably most angry about not being informed about this and even when I come on, there's no apology, it goes straight into a pointless argument.
brett122798 #104
Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

I enjoy the benefits of the forum all the while people left, right and centre of me release programs that I've released before, or APIs that I've done before… heck I'll admit it, sometimes I see an idea I like, think "I can go one step further", so I do, then I release it……..
Yeah, we have two sets of minds. If I were you, I'd ask the original developer for permission before I "take it a step further."
theoriginalbit #105
Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:32 PM
I don't know, something triggers in my head when I think about it. I'm probably most angry about not being informed about this and even when I come on, there's no apology, it goes straight into a pointless argument.
Personally I don't feel that he is required to give you an apology, you got your credit, he didn't have to do that. If there was no credit there I would say you are owed an apology… but there is credit, so I don't think you need/deserve one…

- snip -
Yeah, we have two sets of minds. If I were you, I'd ask the original developer for permission before I "take it a step further."
I don't just copy their code though… I take the idea, and I expand on it… plus what if that guy only copied it from someone else… then I'm getting permission from someone who didn't get permission…
brett122798 #106
Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:34 PM
Personally I don't feel that he is required to give you an apology, you got your credit, he didn't have to do that. If there was no credit there I would say you are owed an apology… but there is credit, so I don't think you need/deserve one…

- snip -
I don't just copy their code though… I take the idea, and I expand on it… plus what if that guy only copied it from someone else… then I'm getting permission from someone who didn't get permission…
Why is that first reason always ignored? Why wasn't I informed in the first place? I would have been a much happier guy if he did. Heck, I thought he was still on my development team for all I knew.

Well, yeah, I know that. I still believe it requires permission though.
theoriginalbit #107
Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:36 PM
Why is that first reason always ignored? Why wasn't I informed in the first place? I would have been a much happier guy if he did. Heck, I thought he was still on my development team for all I knew.
Thought they were one and the same, not 2 reasons…
brett122798 #108
Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:38 PM
"I'm probably most angry about

1. not being informed about this
2. even when I come on, there's no apology"
Skullblade #109
Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

1. There is no reason for you to need to be informed. He would have done it regardless because you had no control over the "idea" and I'm using idea in a very general since because the programs do (or were planned to do) completely different things
2. There is no reason for an apology since he has not in anyway wronged you. You should be happy that he put you on the credits for the "idea" also what is the importance of an apology if it is asked for
brett122798 #110
Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

1. There is no reason for you to need to be informed. He would have done it regardless because you had no control over the "idea" and I'm using idea in a very general since because the programs do (or were planned to do) completely different things
2. There is no reason for an apology since he has not in anyway wronged you. You should be happy that he put you on the credits for the "idea" also what is the importance of an apology if it is asked for

1. He couldn't have told me that he was going to release his spin-off version? And like I said earlier, I thought he was still developing with me, and he would have never informed me that he left.
1. ^ And it wasn't asked for, I kinda expected it.
theoriginalbit #111
Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:06 PM
1. He couldn't have told me that he was going to release his spin-off version? And like I said earlier, I thought he was still developing with me, and he would have never informed me that he left.
I would have expected you to have given up by now……. yet here you still are…
brett122798 #112
Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:09 PM
I would have expected you to have given up by now……. yet here you still are…
Well, I'm bored, sadly. I was gonna watch Netflix in bed, until I realized that I left my iPod in my mom's car that's at her work..
theoriginalbit #113
Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:10 PM
- snip -
Well, I'm bored, sadly. I was gonna watch Netflix in bed, until I realized that I left my iPod in my mom's car that's at her work..
Then do something productive with your time… like develop something…
brett122798 #114
Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:13 PM
Then do something productive with your time… like develop something…
I can only program comfortably when I'm fully awake, and I'm also at a standstill with my createButton function.
pielover88888 #115
Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:05 AM
Wait, three halves? LOL TheOriginal!
theoriginalbit #116
Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:34 PM
Wait, three halves? LOL TheOriginal!
Yep 3 halves… it was a deliberate choice of wording… I wondered if anyone was gunna say something…
pielover88888 #117
Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:01 PM
So, this article is more than one article? One, and a half, for the same thing and discussion? >:D/> Moderators, delete one half LOL jk
ElectricOverride #118
Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:55 AM
- snip -
You are missing something. Microsoft took the idea for windows off another company without permishion, and look where they are now, one of the biggest companies in the world!
Skullblade #119
Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:59 AM
Electro i would drop it….not worth another argument
brett122798 #120
Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:57 PM
You are missing something. Microsoft took the idea for windows off another company without permishion, and look where they are now, one of the biggest companies in the world!

[Grammar Nazi Mode]
permishion? Learn ENGLISH
[/Grammar Nazi Mode]

I agree with Skullblade.
ScruffyRules #121
Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:27 PM
[Grammar Nazi Mode]
permishion? Learn ENGLISH
[/Grammar Nazi Mode]
Since when is Grammar Spelling? *claps*
and you don't know the story behind it, maybe his brain is thinking some word with an H.
theoriginalbit #122
Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:28 PM
and you don't know the story behind it, maybe his brain is thinking some word with an H.
Or English may not be his first language…
ScruffyRules #123
Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:32 PM
Or English may not be his first language…
Exactly!
theoriginalbit #124
Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:42 PM
Exactly!
In reality its just brett122798 wanting to have the last word….
Heracles421 #125
Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:31 PM
-Bump- Yea, I'm back!
Sorry for the long period of inactivity… something happened in my life and… it was hard.
But I'm back, ready to code once again!
AndreWalia #126
Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:47 PM
Holy crap. So this returns exactly what siri would?
GravityScore #127
Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:29 PM
Holy crap. So this returns exactly what siri would?

No. It basically puts what you typed into WolframAlpha and returns what it's API says.
nutcase84 #128
Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:57 AM
No pics, no clicks.
1lann #129
Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:33 AM
No pics, no clicks.
Having being tagged as hot and having such popularity, I think it already has a lot of clicks.
akeldama280 #130
Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:34 AM
This is awesome!
diegodan1893 #131
Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:44 AM
After seeing the argument I must ask you: can I still use the version of CCiri that we implemented in YdedOS in CCU?
TheOddByte #132
Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:07 AM
Awesome!
Thought it was scary when I asked: 'Who am I?'
And it returned my exact position and everything
Heracles421 #133
Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:11 PM
After seeing the argument I must ask you: can I still use the version of CCiri that we implemented in YdedOS in CCU?
Yes, you are allowed to do so.

Awesome!
Thought it was scary when I asked: 'Who am I?'
And it returned my exact position and everything
CCiri knows everything! (Not really… but meh, knows a lot of stuff)
AndreWalia #134
Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:17 PM
why doesnt it know the answer to "Bob has 9001 pancakes. he eats 5000 pancakes. How many pancakes does bob have left?"
Heracles421 #135
Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:28 PM
why doesnt it know the answer to "Bob has 9001 pancakes. he eats 5000 pancakes. How many pancakes does bob have left?"
I don't know. Try using it as a math equation
Heracles421 #136
Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:07 PM
Added pictures. A lot btw
Heracles421 #137
Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:47 PM
Updated to version 2.1!
  • New features:
  • Updated to use the most recent Load Bar API
  • Tweaked a bit how it gets messages.
  • Added more API keys. I hope you request eaters are happy!
theoriginalbit #138
Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:42 PM
bug found.

the following display as html code
  • Ampersand &amp;amp;
  • Less than &amp;lt;
  • Greater than &amp;gt;
remiX #139
Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:38 PM
bug found.

• Ampersand &amp;amp;
  • Less than &amp;lt;
  • Greater than &amp;gt;

Easy fix - string.gsub
theoriginalbit #140
Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:40 PM
Easy fix - string.gsub
I know, I did it in my password generator (CCPassGen), and he is already replacing ' and " … im just illuminating the fact that he missed some …
remiX #141
Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:44 PM
Easy fix - string.gsub
I know, I did it in my password generator (CCPassGen), and he is already replacing ' and " … im just illuminating the fact that he missed some …

Yeah, just went through the code now :P/> Short and sweet.
If you were to make the password generator yourself, how many lines would it be then? xD
theoriginalbit #142
Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:45 PM
Yeah, just went through the code now :P/> Short and sweet.
If you were to make the password generator yourself, how many lines would it be then? xD
Idk probs about 20x bigger than it is using their generator. but it uses Symantec. I'd use that any day over making my own.
Heracles421 #143
Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:50 AM
bug found.

• Ampersand &amp;amp;
  • Less than &amp;lt;
  • Greater than &amp;gt;

2.1.2 released, I've fixed this
If you find any other HTML stuff that's missing tell me
Heracles421 #144
Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:06 AM
Fixed a small bug with the autoupdate. It wasn't updating the program if you had it in a directory different to "/"
Please, use the installer to download the newest version, as it also includes the download for the Load Bar API.
MindenCucc #145
Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:31 AM
Lol, this is great job! :D/> Do You want use my touchscreen keyboard API?
Mr. Fang #146
Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:38 AM
If only "Steve" could talk…. O_o
ETHANATOR360 #147
Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:52 AM
coolest program iv ever seen
Heracles421 #148
Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:05 AM
Hello CC Crafters! I'm back! After almost 6 months of inactivity (many reasons, I won't go through them ATM), I checked my Wolfram Alpha developer status, and for my surprise it is still active and it has received multiple queries this month (220)!
Which showed me two things:
1. CCiri is not dead. Even after being a lot of time inactive many of you still use CCiri! Which is great. I was really shocked when I discovered that.
2. I have to get back to coding. It's a part of me that I will never be able to leave.

And so, I'm writing this to let everyone (new and old users) know that CCiri will be updated more often.

Please leave any ideas you've got in mind, I'd love to implement them!
figgycity50 #149
Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:26 PM
Awesome! Now i can find out e to the power of e to the power of e. spits out fuzzy maths containing infinity and gamma
Heracles421 #150
Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:01 PM
Awesome! Now i can find out e to the power of e to the power of e. spits out fuzzy maths containing infinity and gamma

Glad you like it
Mads #151
Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:11 PM
Not very pleasant-looking.

PixelToast #152
Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:43 PM
looks fine to me
figgycity50 #153
Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:20 PM
Can you add advanced computer support in the next update? i like colorful things. and I HATE HATE HATE ASCII borders
nutcase84 #154
Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:48 PM
I think this would be good for a operating system. You could simplify a lot of things. Because, all a operating system really does in computercraft, is launch programs and things like that. Instead of clicking a icon, you could type something like "launch firewolf". But you may ask, why? That's what CraftOS is for! That is true but some noobs might want a OS like CraftOS, but easier to use. But this is all my opinion, so what do you think?
Heracles421 #155
Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

I'm sorry, but that's how it looks even after formating it. I can't do much because of many reasons: First of all, Wolfram sends the answer in plain text format, because CC can't take any other kind of format. It is a pain to use that kind of format, but I still managed to make it as easy to understand as possible (With help from the guys that are in the credits).
Second, CC doesn't offer many formatting options.
Third, if you use complex questions, don't expect to recieve a simple answer. At least not from Wolfram.

Can you add advanced computer support in the next update? i like colorful things. and I HATE HATE HATE ASCII borders

Yes, the next release will include colored monitor support. Instead of having ASCII artwork I'll use colors. But I won't be releasing it ATM because I'm really busy with stuff IRL.

I think this would be good for a operating system. You could simplify a lot of things. Because, all a operating system really does in computercraft, is launch programs and things like that. Instead of clicking a icon, you could type something like "launch firewolf". But you may ask, why? That's what CraftOS is for! That is true but some noobs might want a OS like CraftOS, but easier to use. But this is all my opinion, so what do you think?

I really don't get what you mean, because CCiri isn't an OS.

EDIT: New BETA version released. Now I use (some) colored stuff. For instance the ASCII lines and the background have changed. The program will check if you're using an advanced computer or if you're using a normal one to avoid any errors.
Please note that I HAVE NOT tested this release yet, and even if the changes are minimal the program CAN be broken. If anyone can check if it's working correctly I'll make it an official minor release.
nutcase84 #156
Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

I know… but some noobs might want a OS like this to learn a text interface… I remember when I started programming, I had no idea how to use CraftOS. I has to constantly look up stuff on how to use it. If you could make it simple, like siri, then you might have something.
Heracles421 #157
Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

I know… but some noobs might want a OS like this to learn a text interface… I remember when I started programming, I had no idea how to use CraftOS. I has to constantly look up stuff on how to use it. If you could make it simple, like siri, then you might have something.

Ok, I think what you mean is make an OS capable of interpreting your input to make something. For example, I write "Can you run my program?" and then the OS interprets it and runs the program.
Am I right?
Mads #158
Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

That's more complex than CraftOS. And I'm 100% sure you didn't have to look up how to use the shell, but what the programmes were called. Learn the difference.
Lyqyd #159
Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:51 PM
If you see posts that require moderator attention, report them, don't reply to them.

I've cleaned this up. If I have to do it again, I'm just going to lock the topic.
Heracles421 #160
Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:22 PM
If you see posts that require moderator attention, report them, don't reply to them.

I've cleaned this up. If I have to do it again, I'm just going to lock the topic.

Alright, got it Lyqyd.

As a side note, for all users, I'll be releasing 2.2 soon. I just have to polish some stuff before it's ready.
Agoldfish #161
Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:55 PM
This. Is. Awesome. This is gonna go in my enchanting room computer. Lol.
Heracles421 #162
Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:02 AM
This. Is. Awesome. This is gonna go in my enchanting room computer. Lol.

I'm glad you like it :)/>
Stay tuned, because the next version will include color support. I'm still improving some stuff, but it's almost ready
Agoldfish #163
Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:00 AM
Sounds awesome.
Edited on 16 November 2013 - 10:01 AM
killorx #164
Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:58 AM
well. i am currently working on a database project on a server, i tried to download this and it failed.
i hope i can get my dev team to make a similar project like this one here.
realgogogoluke #165
Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:16 AM
Like killorx, I am having trouble using this program.

"load:383: Expected string"
timia2109 #166
Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:41 AM
I don't now if anybody asks. So will you make an API, that we can use cciri in other programs?
Csstform #167
Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:28 PM
HA! I just saw this! I actually wrote a 'siri' program a little while ago for one of my projects, but it doesnt use Wolfram Alpha, just computer/turtle stuff. Might release it if people are interested, or if you want to integrate it into this.
zaydanmc #168
Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:55 AM
Can i intergrate it in my OS???
Cookiezi #169
Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:08 PM
This is a very interesting program, I like it!
I wish it had more colouration, the black and white seems a bit bland.