This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
johnbanq's profile picture

[1.5] slope version of monitors

Started by johnbanq, 09 January 2013 - 10:47 PM
johnbanq #1
Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:47 PM
We have some nice monitors / advanced monitors now
but may i ask for the slope version of them?
I think it could be great for somewhere like message board / control rooms :)/>
[Sorry for my bad english]
theoriginalbit #2
Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:51 PM
My instinct is to say no to this. It would be a nightmare to code with! And making programs compatible with all types would be a nightmare.
Cloudy #3
Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:52 PM
Slope version?
Tiin57 #4
Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:23 AM
Slope version?
Perhaps he means slopes akin to kaevator (spelled that wrong)'s slope mod?
Also.
Why'd you get +1 for that post? Are you that popular?
/me bows down to the Lord of Rep, Cloudeh.
:D/>
immibis #5
Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:55 AM
Slope version?
I imagine them as a right-angled triangular prism:

They might look neat in control rooms (you can put them on the floor instead of at eye height, and still be able to see them, and still be able to see over them)
Cloudy #6
Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:12 AM
Interesting idea.
Sebra #7
Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:39 AM
Interesting, but not so interesting as other interesting ideas ;)/>
Left4Cake #8
Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:05 PM
First I would like to see monitors you could place facing up/down. You could make windows table style app and games with adv computers touch input.
DrCeph #9
Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:49 PM
First I would like to see monitors you could place facing up/down. You could make windows table style app and games with adv computers touch input.

which is just asking for an event that fires when somebody walks on it… anyone?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yu62StlsMY[/media]
johnbanq #10
Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:35 PM
Slope version?
I imagine them as a right-angled triangular prism:

They might look neat in control rooms (you can put them on the floor instead of at eye height, and still be able to see them, and still be able to see over them)
Yes!I mean monitors looks like that!
thank you for your pictures!
Mikeemoo #11
Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:29 AM
These aren't cubes. I thought MC was cubes.
theoriginalbit #12
Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:36 AM
These aren't cubes. I thought MC was cubes.
Firstly with LWJGL/OpenGL it is possible to make other shapes… as for "MC was cubes", brewing stands aren't cubes. A lot of BC, IC2 and RP2 items aren't cubes… so why does CC need to stay with cubes?
ChunLing #13
Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:43 AM
Oh, maybe a semi-transparent monitor that placed somewhat like glass/iron bars (but was always full width) would be neat. Not an actual suggestion, just saying.
wilcomega #14
Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:33 AM
Oh, maybe a semi-transparent monitor that placed somewhat like glass/iron bars (but was always full width) would be neat. Not an actual suggestion, just saying.
that would be cool, a transparent touchable monitor. floating letters :D/>
btw i totaly support up/down ward facing monotors and slopes
KaoS #15
Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:14 PM
up and down facing would be incredible, I always wanted to build a floor using adv. monitors that will follow you with a touchscreen interface for directions and then use arrows on the floor to direct you there (using OCS of course)
theoriginalbit #16
Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:17 PM
up and down facing would be incredible, I always wanted to build a floor using adv. monitors that will follow you with a touchscreen interface for directions and then use arrows on the floor to direct you there (using OCS of course)
Wow thats a cool idea! ofc that means they would have to try make it send an event when someone or something is standing on it… that might be hard/impossible… but moving arrows would be cool anyways… OR those lines like in hospitals and military compounds…
KaoS #17
Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:19 PM
Wow thats a cool idea! ofc that means they would have to try make it send an event when someone or something is standing on it… that might be hard/impossible… but moving arrows would be cool anyways… OR those lines like in hospitals and military compounds…

don't need standing events when you have OCS sensors everywhere :D/> (I love those things)
theoriginalbit #18
Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:20 PM
don't need standing events when you have OCS sensors everywhere :D/> (I love those things)
Oh for some reason I didn't see those brackets… lol…
KaoS #19
Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:24 PM
Oh for some reason I didn't see those brackets… lol…

I can empathize… take a look here my stupidity astounds me sometimes ^_^/>

EDIT: anyways we are hijacking this poor guy's awesome suggestion. sorry johnbanq
Edited on 18 January 2013 - 12:34 PM
theoriginalbit #20
Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:32 PM
I can empathize… take a look here my stupidity astounds me sometimes ^_^/>
Haha yeh I've been reading that… Sometimes I put it down to the fact that its late and I'm tired :P/>
TheOddByte #21
Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:05 AM
Slope version?
Perhaps he means slopes akin to kaevator (spelled that wrong)'s slope mod?
Also.
Why'd you get +1 for that post? Are you that popular?
/me bows down to the Lord of Rep, Cloudeh.
:D/>

Yeah I guess Cloudy Could Write "Banana Bread" and Get About +10 For That :P/>
theoriginalbit #22
Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:13 AM
Yeah I guess Cloudy Could Write "Banana Bread" and Get About +10 For That :P/>
You have a bad habit of bumping old topics and bumping with useless input.
NeverCast #23
Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:18 AM
That said it has brought this to light. I would love to see sloped monitors!
Hmmmm.. *ponders on the plausibility*
Aquilamo #24
Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:03 AM
Reminds of CRT monitors, those were awesome *_*
TheOddByte #25
Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:56 AM
CRT monitors?
Lyqyd #26
Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:39 AM
CRT monitors?

Yes, monitors using cathode ray tubes.
NeverCast #27
Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:44 AM
CRT monitors?

Holy crap!!

Am I really that old? Lyqyd, Please tell me I'm not that old?
I was born and raised with CRT
ChunLing #28
Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:10 AM
They're not exactly ancient history, you can still see them in use here and there.
NeverCast #29
Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:14 AM
They're not exactly ancient history, you can still see them in use here and there.

I know right!?
That's why I panicked
Though the day is coming where kids will talk about LED TV's .. on your face! and Quantum Computers, and wont even know what a Silicon chip is!
sjkeegs #30
Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:42 AM
CRT monitors?

Holy crap!!

Am I really that old? Lyqyd, Please tell me I'm not that old?
I was born and raised with CRT
Sigh… I'm still using a 1600x1200 CRT that I bought with my first Windows PC, after migrating from an Amiga. I'm still waiting for the damned thing to die.
TheOddByte #31
Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:52 AM
Oh so those thick monitors is called CRT monitors..
Now I know that, Had one myself along time ago.
KaoS #32
Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:02 AM
I still use one :D/> I am more concerned with upgrading my tower than my monitor. doesn't bug me
ChunLing #33
Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:41 AM
Modern LCD's are really much less stressful for your eyes/brain.
KaoS #34
Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:39 AM
I'm just hard-core like that :D/>
TCGM #35
Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:00 AM
Finally, my control center could be complete!
Aquilamo #36
Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:23 AM
But how hard would that be to include in ComputerCraft? And what angle would those monitors have? π/4?
BigSHinyToys #37
Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:33 AM
Ow Cr@( I must be old to. I used a CRT until a year ago Never GOING BACK you cant make me.
[EDIT]
Spoiler
[/EDIT]
NeverCast #38
Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:51 AM
Nice MSPaint you got there :D/>
TheArchitect #39
Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:25 PM
Yeah next thing you're going to suggest is that the angle be changeable with a tool or something. From there, it's not a stretch to move over to flat screens.

As for up/down facing monitors, I think it's not a bad idea, but there would be the extra hassle of having to decide which way is "up" (as in, up/down is north/south or east/west?), or whether it is automatically decided from the direction you're looking when you place it, or rotate it manually or with a tool, or purely from the software using a new API command (say, monitor.setOrientation("north"))

That would be a lot to add just for a floor/ceiling monitor, though I wonder if anyone would ever care, given that you place it just once.

Modern LCD's are really much less stressful for your eyes/brain.
Is it just mine that makes my sight feel flickery when I'm in the dark without a computer nearby? I'll return it.
ChunLing #40
Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:54 PM
Older LCD's have difficulty maintaining a good refresh rate, but a new one shouldn't exhibit any sort of flickering (even when you wave your fingers in front of it).

Of course, any display that is the primary light source in the room is going to produce certain effects, and quite stressful ones at close range. You should never use a back-lit display of any kind in an otherwise dark room. If you cannot easily read a book held between your face and your monitor, you're doing something wrong.
TheArchitect #41
Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:00 PM
Good advice. I'll lower the brightness.