This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
czp's profile picture

Antennas, servers/racks, computers that need energy

Started by czp, 23 March 2012 - 12:45 PM
czp #1
Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:45 PM
Hi!
First, sorry for my bad english, it's not my primary language and I don't speak english so good.
Now, there is my suggestions:

Antennas

Block that extends modem's range for example for 10 blocks. You can build antenna tower (each antenna block on top of other antenna block), each antenna block will add 10 blocks to modem's range. Range that antenna adds can be modified in config file. It can be block that looks like like Fence, but from iron/stone/etc.
This will need cable block - peripherals don't need to be next to computer, but can be connected to it via cable. Also, this can be done with RedPower cables. This will extend the "sides" used to communication with peripherals to 16/8/… (this can be also adjustable in conf. file) named "SIDE-COLOR".

Servers and racks
I already saw similar idea here, but it isn't too described. Someone answered that in RL is server only high-end computer, so it's role can be substituted by normal computer, server/rack is unnecessary. I agree with this, but look - most of mods are "unnecessary" - you can build computer from redstone. Also, Minecraft itself is "unnecessary" - you have real life.
Imagine, you're building an epic futuristic building and you need to build server room - it will look better if here is rack with servers or if it is "only" normal computers?
Servers can be half-block, that have built-in modem and disk drive. You can place it into rack or on normal ground - if you place it in rack, you can have another server "on top" of this - only in rack - if you place it on normal ground, there can be only one server.

Rack can be "single" or "double" rack - like chest/double chest. If you place rack on top of another, single rack, it will turn into double rack.
In normal (single) rack can be two servers, in double rack can be four servers.
As a bonus, there can be racks with doors from glass - like this (photo).

Computers that need energy
My co-admin says me that this can be epic - computers will need energy.
We have Tekkit server and if computers will need IndustrialCraft energy to run, it will be fantastic addition. Of course, this would be adjustable in config and optional - you will not need to have IndustrialCraft for running ComputerCraft.

Also, this can be applied for my servers&racks idea - if this will be added, i think that you will better disable placing server outside of rack. You must provide energy for rack and here it will be avaible for servers in it.
Of course, this can be used also for my antenna idea! How the antenna tower is greater, more energy is needed.

Thanks for reading/replying, bye :(/>/>
Liraal #2
Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:00 PM
antennas are nice, but certainly not with the figures you provided. Imagine building a 200 antennas high tower and it would extend your range to 2000 blocks. That is hardly wi-fi, more like satellite link.
OmegaVest #3
Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:26 PM
Well, I understand about the whole needing energy thing. I like the idea of having either IC2 energy or Blutricity needed. But then, I would also, in that case, want those to be default disabled. Personally, I went vanilla so that if the machine did not receive a redstone signal when it is turned on, it shuts down without the use ever seeing it. The change happens fast enough that CRTL-T does not terminate it. Only a backup energy source (ie a redstone torch placed beneath it) would do.

I'm still working on making it shut down if the signal is cut. But I am sure it can be done.
czp #4
Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:32 PM
antennas are nice, but certainly not with the figures you provided. Imagine building a 200 antennas high tower and it would extend your range to 2000 blocks. That is hardly wi-fi, more like satellite link.
Yeah, this is problem. It can be solved with specifying maximum antenna tower height. But, will it mind if antenna will be hard to obtain? Also we can change the range that antenna extends :(/>/>
But imagine how hard must be to build it - if in crafting recipe will be one block of iron, or diamonds, some gold etc…?

For example, it can be crafted by this:
STONE-DIAMOND-STONE
IRON-REDSTONE-IRON
IRON-REDSTONE-IRON
kamnxt #5
Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:11 AM
Maybe you can only extend your modem range 64 (config!) blocks?
czp #6
Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:39 PM
Yes, this is also very good idea!
Luanub #7
Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:49 AM

You can already customize the range of your wireless modems(both for normal weather and bad weather) in the CC config file.

As far as the rack idea goes you would probably have to add in some sort of way to connect bundled cables into the "servers". Alot of people run cables from their servers, especially when connecting into factories as I can imagine alot of server setups do.
StrangeWill #8
Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:35 AM

Wimax will do 50km, that is only 2km, I can't seem to find the length of their antenna though, but the boxes deployed by customers aren't 200 meters high.
kamnxt #9
Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

You can already customize the range of your wireless modems(both for normal weather and bad weather) in the CC config file.

As far as the rack idea goes you would probably have to add in some sort of way to connect bundled cables into the "servers". Alot of people run cables from their servers, especially when connecting into factories as I can imagine alot of server setups do.

But with extenders you could use the cheaper normal modems and have normal range, or use the more expensive extenders to send messages over long distances easily. And maybe extenders would be able to send messages to every modem and extender in it's own range, but normal wireless modems not reaching to the extenders would not be able to send messages to them. Like the extender only sends stronger signals (than normal modems) but doesn't receive weaker ones.
DoomCommando #10
Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:51 PM
I fully support this idea.
strideynet #11
Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:31 PM
Let's force this down th admins throats.my team need servers
Half block is a definate to make it smaller