This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Ulthean's profile picture

Dylloop stole my program!

Started by Ulthean, 17 January 2013 - 04:44 AM
Ulthean #1
Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:44 AM
Even though this may not be the ideal location I want to alert the community of this theft: Dylloop stole a program I posted on this forum (MLG mining: circular branch mining). He reposted the exact same code on pastebin and made a video about this on his own youtube channel.

When one of his viewers asked him if he programmed this himself his answer was:
Dylloop said:
yes with SparkVGX's help for the past 3 days

Some Links:
  • The video itself, look through the comments (and forgive me my raging, I worked very hard on this program)
  • Click here
  • 'his' updater code on pastebin, you can see his name at the top, look at the names of the programs, all the other pastebin links link to him as well
  • Click here
Ulthean #2
Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:54 AM
In the meanwhile he deleted my reactions on the youtube video, it's probably a good thing he can't delete my posts here.
zekesonxx #3
Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:58 AM
So contact YouTube. Get the video taken down and him punished.

The courts are always at your disposal.
Ulthean #4
Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:03 AM
He deleted the video himself it seems (or made it private), just to prove that I am not actually making this up: a screenshot

Spoiler
zekesonxx #5
Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:05 AM

Cranium #6
Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:25 AM
I had the same thing happen to a small program before, but at the time, it was in it's infancy. That program is now the current iteration of SmartPaste. Theirs has no bearing on my program now.
Ulthean #7
Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:11 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't have minded all that much if he just forgetted to 'credit' me, I'm not all that fussed about being given credit. But when somebody asks you if you wrote it yourself at least be honest about it, don't use my code to more some subscribers on youtube.

I've had a good night's sleep and I'm less disappointed now than I was yesterday evening, but still I think it's very rude of him.
Henness #8
Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:27 AM
Ya stuff like this is really frustrating Someone rewrote a program that I made about a week after I made it but didn't steal it. You can tell though looking at the code that it was heavily influenced my my idea. Not really any thing I can do about it though I'm not one to accuses people of things when I don't really have proof :(/> I just know that the program does the same thing mine does and mine was made first.
D3matt #9
Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

And how exactly is he to prove that he's the original author? I'm pretty sure youtube doesn't take down videos because some random person claims the program used in the mod in the game featured (That's 3 content layers deep) was written by them. He doesn't really have any evidence to prove he's the original author, either.
Ulthean #10
Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:20 AM
And I don't want to make too big a problem out of it either, he removed the video, which is fine.
Only evidence I have is electronic, and that ain't all that credible tbh :)/>
Syntria #11
Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:12 PM
Hey. I own the QubeTubers online community (Minecraft modded servers/gaming servers in general/streaming community/raising money for charity etc). Dylloop was a streamer/community member of ours for a long time. (over a year ago)

With that said, I 100% believe he would do the above.

He guilted us into raising money for his family due to hardships that now I'm not sure were even true ($50 just from me and more from others), then said the check didn't clear (which it did, my bank said it did) and wanted us to send another I think, he constantly was guilting people into giving him free games, and he would rage anytime we wouldn't let him stream when we had high viewer counts due to his poor quality at the time.

I just took the time to register on here to say I'm sorry about that he did that with your code Ulthean, and I hope he does get into trouble for it and if he's doing anything similar to anyone else, I hope it's brought to light.
Ulthean #12
Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:17 PM
Compared to what happened to you my code is nothing. The main goal of this thread was not to exact revenge on him, but rather to send a signal, however weak it may be.

Thanks for sharing your story with us, I am sure Karma will one day repay your kindness.
Doc_O_Love #13
Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:02 PM
First let me state that I have been programming for around 25 years but am relativity new to computercraft, and while code reuse is standard practice, sealing code "whole cloth" is wrong, I have often used ideas/code from others and given full credit. it is a shame that someone is shallow enough to do this. Keep up the coding and cool ideas.

The Doc.
Zagi #14
Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:21 AM
This is unbelievable! I also saw this video a few weeks ago and though there were SO much similarities with your program. I'm not even joking, the coincidence is just too big.

Guess I'll unsubscribe, I never watched his videos anyway. I only clicked on that one because I'm into Computercraft.
Cloudy #15
Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:28 AM
Meh. Drama has no place here. Deal with it privately.