This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
baseball435's profile picture

Base_Os - Operating System Made By Me

Started by baseball435, 14 February 2012 - 08:41 PM
baseball435 #1
Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:41 PM
Hey everyone I have been working on a program for around 5 hours now and decided to show what I have so far. What I made is an Operating System(OS) that does a lot of different things with more to come. Also I made all of this 100% by myself, no copying and pasting of code or anything and no tutorials. I DID NOT USE REDWORKS OR ANYTHING ELSE, JUST COMPUTERCRAFT. So practically it is a computer inside of a computer inside of a game and this is what it does:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM6EHsxeHLk[/media]

Also here is a link to my channel which has another video up of a game I showed in the video above. But if you guys had some feeback, that'd be great!

EDIT: I added in the "Change Password" option and the "Remove Programs" option for the admin I just have yet to make a video.

Thanks!
~Baseball435
Kaleb702 #2
Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:05 AM
Not OS; modified shell.
OSes mess with ROM.
Mortinious #3
Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:51 AM
I wouldnt say that os's necessarly needs to modify Rom but should serve as a stand-alone alternative to plain craftOS for doing stuff. I might be wrong though.
Espen #4
Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:09 AM
I wouldnt say that os's necessarly needs to modify Rom but should serve as a stand-alone alternative to plain craftOS for doing stuff. I might be wrong though.
Kaleb's definition of an OS might be off, but he's definitely right about it being a shell replacement.
It's easy to misinterpret that CraftOS means the visual representation only, and that replacing that with one's own version counts as another whole OS.
But really CraftOS is more than the shell, it's also the specific way how Lua is setup to operate, incl. the bios.lua, as well as the apis and what the Java code behind CC is doing.
In the end a real OS is something completely different still, but so far everything other users made to modify CC so far have really only been shell replacements, along with api and program changes/additions.
You could call them addons or mods at best, and maybe "glorified OS". But I wouldn't really go any further than that.

That's just my personal view though and I'm sure that won't stop people from calling them OS, since that might just sound cooler than "mod", "addon", or "shell".
In the end it really doesn't matter I guess, it's just make-believe. :D/>/>
Xtansia #5
Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:07 AM
Kaleb's definition of an OS might be off, but he's definitely right about it being a shell replacement.
It's easy to misinterpret that CraftOS means the visual representation only, and that replacing that with one's own version counts as another whole OS.
But really CraftOS is more than the shell, it's also the specific way how Lua is setup to operate, incl. the bios.lua, as well as the apis and what the Java code behind CC is doing.
In the end a real OS is something completely different still, but so far everything other users made to modify CC so far have really only been shell replacements, along with api and program changes/additions.
You could call them addons or mods at best, and maybe "glorified OS". But I wouldn't really go any further than that.

That's just my personal view though and I'm sure that won't stop people from calling them OS, since that might just sound cooler than "mod", "addon", or "shell".
In the end it really doesn't matter I guess, it's just make-believe. ^_^/>/>

You could possibly call RedWorks a distribution of CraftOS as it uses CraftOS' core 'kernel', Kinda like Ubuntu is a distribution of Linux.
james1926 #6
Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:19 PM
how do i get this mod thers no code or download

?