This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Bug_out47's profile picture

1.4 Internet

Started by Bug_out47, 29 March 2012 - 03:48 PM
Bug_out47 #1
Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:48 PM
I know that this concept has been done before, but in single player only. What if in 1.4 you could use a computer to connect to the Internet, and what I mean by that is an actual Internet server modified for ComputerCraft. The possibilities of what could be accomplished would be amazing ( stock market trading, world sharing, online storage and program database). If this or any feature like this were to be implemented I would be happy to help with the physical server. If this seems like a good idea please pm me or post your suggestion, and please help this thread come to the attention of moderators or dan200. Any support would be greatly appreciated.
Wolvan #2
Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:11 PM
You can use http api and create your own service you know?
Bug_out47 #3
Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:15 PM
But what I was going for is a worldwideweb so to speak. For instance later on if this was made compatible with an npc and economy mod for single player you would have a stock market running with one price per stock around the world (physical world not minecraft), and you could also have this page in the Internet and have support and programs tha can be downloaded and installed right there without leaving minecraft.
Bug_out47 #4
Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:18 PM
Sorry for the double post but it could also be used with multiplayer servers possibly and synced with the economy plugin, email, factory's, etc without having to wire everything or make the custom program to control another terminal it would be like using remote desktop for windows.
Wolvan #5
Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:18 PM
As I said: You can create a site like this yourself and just access it with the http API
Bug_out47 #6
Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:28 PM
I know that this is possible but it is limited to being in that single world or server and has to be run off of another computer in that world or server what I am suggesting is to have a physical server (which I can provide and setup) and have an Internet program be included with the mod and no matter what world or server you are in you can access the same exact page.
Wolvan #7
Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:45 PM
Yeah http API is an API that gives access to the WWW. You have to activate the API in the config first
xuma202 #8
Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:46 PM
Yes you have to ensure that your program is running on every Computer on wich you want to use it.
But I think this will never be in another way.

If your lua program is hooked up to an online (MySQL) DB-Server you could by using some PHP scipts and Get-Variables. Create everything you have ever imagined. You can make everything you can do with PHP and a DB.
This can go across Servers and Worlds live.
You can even go vice versa and controll you MC Monitors/Turtles by anything that can connect to the Internet (Smart Phone, Tablet) You could even buy an Arduino and create your own devices controlling billions of MC worlds. Simultaneously!
I know this would be AWSOME!!
Bug_out47 #9
Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:26 PM
This is exactly what i was looking for. I would love to see a feAture like this implemented in an upcoming version. My only limitation is programming , but if there is an lua programmer that would like to help with this project pm me. I can take care of all the hardware for the actual server I just need the program to run on it.
MysticT #10
Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:38 PM
This is implemented already, it's just that you need to create the web site and the program to do what you want. But you can access the internet (the real one) from CC computers, this is how the pastebin program works (and ccget), it access the pastebin site to get the files.
EatenAlive3 #11
Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:49 PM
You don't need to host anything, nor does every computer need to have access to it. All you need to do is active the HTTP API in your CC configuration. You can use it to get the data from any website that your real-life computer can access, including this one, computercraft.info.

The only thing you would need to view regular sites is a browser, which as far as I know, no one has yet created. However, you can get the raw data from a website's source with nothing but the HTTP API alone.

Edit: Oh, I see, you wanted a dedicated server for multi-world communication. Then go host it, and get someone to program and release the code for you. You don't need dan200's permission.
Bug_out47 #12
Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:00 PM
I should clarify when I meant www I meant a modified version for computer craft so that it could be controlled and used with possibly other mods like for instance say you have a mod for npcs and an economy you can log in to your computer and take 100 dollars of your in game money and invest in the craft market ( minecraft equivalent of the stock market) and then sell the stock you purchased when it went up in price. You could then use the money to buy a diamond in minecraft. The reason I am suggesting a modified version of the Internet but not the www is that it can be controlled for special functions tailored for minecraft. Think of it as rednet in a server but the same exact rednet in every server or singleplayer world with a few special features added.
xuma202 #13
Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:11 PM
Well then the computer craft would have to interact with your economy plugin/mod. I think this would be easiest if someone develops a Peripheral mod wich can give you items and turn them into money and a way to earn money in game maybe by using up your XP or so.

I don't think that something like that should be integrated in CC maybe an add-on
Bug_out47 #14
Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:21 PM
Well taking away the possibility of other plugins or mods it would still have applications for servers like social networking money transfers programming and downloading applications. Is it possible to create a server and client such as a graphical browser. I'm new to lua but I have the ability to host it so I would need some help in programming.
xuma202 #15
Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:57 PM
Also already thought about something like a web browser for CC but as far as I know never created something like this in Lua. One limit would alos be displayability. Dan is not going to add full color single pixel controllable Monitors because of SMP support. But if someone develops a Peripheral. Then you still need the best Lua Programmer in world. I guess it would be possible.
Liraal #16
Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:00 PM
graphic is a no, but a text-only web client shouldn't be that hard. Just to get rid of all the useless metadata in website source.
Bug_out47 #17
Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:13 PM
Thank you for the information and quick responses. What is a good way to get started with lua or is there a lua programmer that would be able to help me with this concept.
xuma202 #18
Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:24 PM
Would be interested. I have some programming knowledge in Delphi, Pascal, PHP but I'm not a good lua programmer although the list of commands is short. So may can help a bit.
Ivan Uginhigher #19
Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:30 AM
minecraft interserver web seems to be a great idea
Noodle #20
Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:02 AM
I'm currently working on a mod for Computer Craft (modception - mod inside of mod).
Current status:
Working on receive + view picture's on webpage

Done:
Basic GUI
Click + Type *Much like windows!*

Ideas:
Voice communication (inside minecraft smp + multiplayer)
Voice commands (might aswell make a plugin for it like window's voice command)

Any Suggestions, PM Me or Quote me.
strideynet #21
Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:35 PM
Xuma I love your idea it matches mine!
Maybe it could be done via a irc channel
xuma202 #22
Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:33 AM
graphic is a no, but a text-only web client shouldn't be that hard. Just to get rid of all the useless metadata in website source.

Maybe not, since we have the CCGPU add-on. ;-)
bugzeeolboy #23
Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:25 PM
Your computer in minecraft, any computer in minecraft, has the IP address of your real computer. That means your real computer is accessing websites and handing them down to computercraft. If you made a web server out of computercraft, you would be serving a website using your real computer and would have to forward ports and your real computer will crash if too many people access it, and also there are security vulnerabilities. You need to get a real server computer and host a little dealie to accept GET and POST stuff from computers in computercraft, so it would be possible to send and receive emails, chat, and such. That is, if you want it to be on the actual internet. If you want it to work over rednet, then that would be easy, just make a program to always receive rednet connections on a loop, and if someone sends a message over rednet to ping that computer, then that computer returns a message back which has the requested file in it. That's how real web servers work, too. All you are really doing is downloading .html files temporarily to your computer when you are browsing the internet.

EDIT: Sorry I didnt know you were trying to use a real server, I thought you were talking about hosting a web server using a computercraft computer. Derp.