This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
ardera's profile picture

[1.2][GUI, Bug fixes, Pause function] ScreenCapture!

Started by ardera, 22 January 2013 - 02:30 AM
ardera #1
Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:30 AM
ScreenCapture

Now 1.2!

[indent=4]After taking a long break of playing ComputerCraft, we (me and BigShinyToys) decided to update our old programs. One of these was our ScreenCapture program. It took long to update and fix this Program, and we're planning much more Features and Programs! So stay tuned![/indent]
Changelog

[indent=4]Version 1.2[/indent]
[indent=3]*Bugfixes[/indent]
[indent=3]*Changed the input type: In "Please enter rate:" You had to enter the distance between the frames… I changed that to the frames per second[/indent]
[indent=3]*United Player and Recording Program (Thanks to GravityScore for the Suggestion ^^)[/indent]
[indent=3]*Added GUI[/indent]
[indent=3]*Added Pause key[/indent]

[indent=4]Version 1.1[/indent]
[indent=3]*Added Save at End (simply saves all frames at the end of Capture -> faster recording)[/indent]

[indent=4]Version 1.0[/indent]
[indent=3]*Added Color Support[/indent]

[indent=4]Version 0.2[/indent]
[indent=3]*Fixed some Bugs[/indent]

[indent=4]Version 0.1[/indent]
[indent=3]*Initial Release[/indent]

Features

[indent=3]~You have much Options and possibilities[/indent]
[indent=3]~good GUI[/indent]
[indent=3]~Pause function[/indent]
[indent=3]~Player and Recorder in 1 program[/indent]
[indent=3]~It has Color Support[/indent]
[indent=3]~You can save the Capture at the end[/indent]
[indent=3]~Its not buggy and laggy while recording[/indent]
Bugs

[indent=3]~If you enter no frame rate, the program will error.[/indent]
[indent=3]~If you run the following program, the whole computer (the CC computer ^^) will crash:[/indent]
[indent=3]~It flickers at old or not-so-good Computers, or CCemu[/indent]
[indent=3]~If you choose save while capturing, it won't save anything.[/indent]

Download

[indent=5]Version 1.2: Pastebin ID: fCrQBcjP[/indent]
[indent=6]Raw File: -click here-[/indent]

Old Versions

Spoiler[indent=2]Got deleted by this buggy editor…[/indent]

Upcoming Features/Versions

[indent=4]1.3[/indent]
[indent=3]~will add an 'see what I captured' button[/indent]
[indent=3]~Bug fixes[/indent]
[indent=3]~update button[/indent]
[indent=3]~makes colors changeable[/indent]
[indent=3]~will add a compiler and decompiler, because videos are extremely big![/indent]

[indent=4]2.0[/indent]
[indent=3]~Big Video Suite with cutting, compiling (and decompiling of course), and MAYBE effects[/indent]
[indent=3]~maybe, maybe I'll make an thing like Youtube…[/indent]

Screenshots

Screenshot of the Main Menu

Spoiler

While Capturing

Spoiler

While Saving

Spoiler

Credits

Updating ScreenCapture and PrintCapture - Me

Helping in the future coming Suite - BigShinyToys

[indent=1]Only 1 thing I have to say: The ComputerCraft New Topic Editor is the buggiest and laggiest I've ever seen :(/>[/indent]
remiX #2
Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:42 AM
Hmm. screenCapture? Does it do the same thing as LightShot?

[indent=1]Only 1 thing I have to say: The ComputerCraft New Topic Editor is the buggiest and laggiest I've ever seen :(/>[/indent]

Hmm? It's fast for me… Although, occasionally when I click 'edit' it will just go blank and then I have to use the Full Editor.
ardera #3
Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:03 AM
Hmm. screenCapture? Does it do the same thing as LightShot?

Jep.
But I already released 0.1 for about 6 months

Hmm? It's fast for me… Although, occasionally when I click 'edit' it will just go blank and then I have to use the Full Editor.

Ok then its only the buggiest Ive ever seen. If i press Backspace in a line where I never pressed backspace, it will go automatically to the beginning of the line, if I change the color of an word the other formattings are gone, etc. There lots of bugs for me, And it took a very long time to write that all and fix all formattings…
GravityScore #4
Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:06 AM
It looks good when recording - the cd command works :P/> (unlike mine).

Bugs I found:
- I can name the video nothing, and it will save it in the captures folder.
- Using the CCEmu, it flickers while playing back a lot.
- If I enter no rate, it gives the error: screencapture: 391: Not a Number.
- I can't run the following program. It works fine in shell without recording, but when recording I get: Press any key to continue, then I press a key and the computer shuts down.
Spoiler

term.setBackgroundColor(colors.gray)
term.clear()
term.setBackgroundColor(colors.lightGray)
term.setCursorPos(4, 1)
write(string.rep(" ", term.getSize() - 6))
term.setCursorPos(5, 1)
write("rdnt://firewolf")
term.setCursorPos(term.getSize() - 3, 1)
write("v")

local w, h = term.getSize()

term.setBackgroundColor(colors.red)
for i = 1, 9 do
term.setCursorPos(4, i + (h/2 - 3))
write(string.rep(" ", w/2 - 7))
end

local im = [[

1   4   4                                       
 111 4 4 4                                       
 1    444                                        

]]

local f = io.open("/logo", "w")
f:write(im)
f:close()

local image = paintutils.loadImage("/logo")
paintutils.drawImage(image, 7, 7)
term.setCursorPos(12, 14)
write("Firewolf 2.4")

term.setBackgroundColor(colors.orange)
for i = 1, 15 do
term.setCursorPos(w - (w/2 - 2), i + 3)
write(string.rep(" ", w/2 - 2))
end

I dislike having to download a player - a bit annoying :P/>. It'd be better if it was built in, or there was a file I could run in the root folder that would run the movie.
I'm not sure what is an acceptable rate - is 10 enough? or is that really slow? is 30 better? All the ones I tried (1, 30, 10, 20, 5) seem really slow and not like it's live.
I like the interrupt key, it's a good idea :D/>
I would like it to show the blinking cursor.

Bugs I found:
- I can name the video nothing, and it will save it in the captures folder.
- Using the CCEmu, it flickers while playing back a lot.
- If I enter no rate, it gives the error: screencapture: 391: Not a Number.
- I can't run the following program. It works fine in shell without recording, but when recording I get: Press any key to continue, then I press a key and the computer shuts down.
Spoiler

term.setBackgroundColor(colors.gray)
term.clear()
term.setBackgroundColor(colors.lightGray)
term.setCursorPos(4, 1)
write(string.rep(" ", term.getSize() - 6))
term.setCursorPos(5, 1)
write("rdnt://firewolf")
term.setCursorPos(term.getSize() - 3, 1)
write("v")

local w, h = term.getSize()

for i = 1, 9 do
term.setCursorPos(4, i + (h/2 - 3))
write(string.rep(" ", w/2 - 7))
end

local im = [[

1   4   4                                       
 111 4 4 4                                       
 1    444                                        

]]

local f = io.open("/logo", "w")
f:write(im)
f:close()

local image = paintutils.loadImage("/logo")
paintutils.drawImage(image, 7, 7)
term.setCursorPos(12, 14)
write("Firewolf 2.4")

term.setBackgroundColor(colors.orange)
for i = 1, 15 do
term.setCursorPos(w - (w/2 - 2), i + 3)
write(string.rep(" ", w/2 - 2))
end

I dislike having to download a player - a bit annoying :P/>. It'd be better if it was built in, or there was a file I could run in the root folder that would run the movie.
I'm not sure what is an acceptable rate - is 10 enough? or is that really slow? is 30 better? All the ones I tried (1, 30, 10, 20, 5) seem really slow and not like it's live.
I would like it to show the blinking cursor.
ardera #5
Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:24 AM
1. Bug: Ok, now I understand. Thats a bug. Have to add a control structure for that.
2. Bug: I think this dues to your PC, because for me it runs fine. But I'll try to improve that, because I also want to make it compatible with old computers.
3. Bug: Ok, I'll add another control structure in the next update ^^
4. Bug: EDIT: found explanation: Your setting y to an not accepted number: 1+(19/2 - 3)=7.5. The virtual setCursorPos function don't accepts that.

acceptable rate: SORRY Im really stupid! I forgot that you enter the frames per second in a normal capturing program! Here you have to type the distance between the frames! Im really stupid…
Blinking Cursor: really good idea!

Thanks for the suggestions! and for the bugs :)/>

EDIT: Hey did you notice that we have the same versions? Your program is version 1.1 and mine too! :D/>

EDIT2: The fps can't be higher than 20 fps, because Minecraft runs with 20 tps (ticks per second) and so sleep(0) means it will sleep 1 tick (0.05 seconds). And if you enter a higher framerate, the distance between the frames will be smaller than 0.05 seconds, but it will sleep 0.05 seconds anyway. In short: if the time to sleep is smaller than 0.05 seconds, it will sleep 0.05 seconds.
Skullblade #6
Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:40 AM
Found a bug:
when you set the program to save the file as it goes it never saves…
ardera #7
Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:47 AM
if you mean that it never saves, look in /captures. There youll find it.
Skullblade #8
Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:49 AM
no if you choose the option that it saves as it goes it will NEVER save
it will say "Saved in /captures/-name-/ " but when you type dir it doesn't show up
ardera #9
Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:33 AM
So if you choose that it saves while capturing, it won't save? Ok thats a bug.
But Im a bit confused, because me and BST tested it and we didn't notice anything…

But Im already working on an bug fix.
Skullblade #10
Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:47 AM
do you need more information like my settings and stuff? it seems to happen no matter what options (other then the save as it captures) it still wont save
ardera #11
Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:29 AM
thats really confusing… For me it works, for BTS to.

Jep, but please pm.

EDIT: Was one of the fails from me, in 1.1 and before you had to type the distance between the frames, and he wrote the fps… (see Features>1.2)
ardera #12
Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:17 AM
-Update! Now GUI, united Player and Recorder, and fixed some bugs.
anonimo182 #13
Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:31 PM
Added some bugs… it give me outOfBounds after running it two times and pausing the video… also it overwrites videos…

Edit:

recorder:701:string espected, got nil
Edited on 23 January 2013 - 12:33 PM
ardera #14
Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:57 PM
after running what two times? and if you enter a path of a video in the path where you saved an other video before, it will save there a new video in it. Thats not a bug.

Im only a human, and humans are not flawless.

Also, stay a bit objectively, I know that this recorder has an image of an really buggy recorder…
1lann #15
Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:30 PM
I wanted to say that if it is possible to increase the saving speed? It was horribly slow for me D: It literally took 10 minutes to just save a simple 10 second recording of me doing tests. It wasn't even complex at all. It was just some simple printing tests, which were:

print("This is a test")
print("To test out different recorders")
sleep(3)
for i = 1, 20 do
print("Test!")
end
The recording is 252 "frames" btw
Skullblade #16
Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:29 AM
Also, stay a bit objectively, on of them tried to set the Image of this recorder to an really buggy recorder. If I pmed him about his settings and so on, and then he said the problem is away.
I was not intentionally making your program look like a really buggy recorder. I could have recorded my screen and showed you that every thing I said was true and I was trying to report what I thought was a bug(it was a user mistake, I thought the frame rate was fps). When you pmed me I used a different frame rate(1 rather then 30)…. And the error didn't happen.

The "bug" was actualy that I had chosen too big of frame rate for the very short test I did therefore there was no new frames to save. It would be nice if it only accepted a smaller range of frame rates or gave a error if there was nothing to save…

I'm sorry if you feel that reporting what i though was a bug is seen as deliberate trashing of your thread…

Edit: just saw this "EDIT: He said the problem is now away. I hate those people, who want to make a bad image of an project." That's not really fair….
ardera #17
Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:48 AM
@1lann: normally it saves maybe 10 frames in 5 seconds, but at older computers it will take longer…. I think thats the biggest problem in my recorder…
[indent=1]I tried to improve that in the last update by terminating all other threads while saving, and that increased the saving speed alot. (in 1.1 it took 10 seconds to save 5 frames!)[/indent]
[indent=1]To reduce the problem I'll add an ||watch what I captured|| Button, so you only save if you are really ready…[/indent]
[indent=1]I just wanted to say why it takes so long to save all the frames, its because in every[/indent]
[indent=1]Oh but the program can be ultra complex, and it will save in this speed, so the complexity of the program doesn't change the saving speed.[/indent]

@Skullblade: Ok, then Im really Sorry, and I'll change that…
[indent=1]But I think you would feel a bit nooby too, if everybody is posting bugs and bugs and error and errors, and not one compliment…[/indent]
[indent=1]That was like an hit in the face for me…[/indent]
GravityScore #18
Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:13 AM
[indent=1]But I think you would feel a bit nooby too, if everybody is posting bugs and bugs and error and errors, and not one compliment…[/indent]

I think a better choice of words would have been very little compliments…
1lann #19
Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:21 AM
@1lann: normally it saves maybe 10 frames in 5 seconds, but at older computers it will take longer…. I think thats the biggest problem in my recorder…
[indent=1]I tried to improve that in the last update by terminating all other threads while saving, and that increased the saving speed alot. (in 1.1 it took 10 seconds to save 5 frames!)[/indent]
[indent=1]To reduce the problem I'll add an ||watch what I captured|| Button, so you only save if you are really ready…[/indent]
[indent=1]I just wanted to say why it takes so long to save all the frames, its because in every[/indent]
[indent=1]Oh but the program can be ultra complex, and it will save in this speed, so the complexity of the program doesn't change the saving speed.[/indent]

@Skullblade: Ok, then Im really Sorry, and I'll change that…
If you want a compliment then here's one: The GUI is awesome and nice. I like how it gives feedback when you click a button by changing its edges into ( brackets. The customizability is nice too. Though its strange. I have an i5 dual core 2.8 ghz CPU and 4 gb of ram. 60% of which I don't even use, and I barely have any applications running. I did this through cc emu. Might be faster in mc compared to cc emu. Either way it's an awesome program and I know how complex it has to be to store a simulated terminal screen.
ardera #20
Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:23 AM
Thanks ^^

PS.: I don't know too why it saves so slow…
anonimo182 #21
Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:00 AM
Sorry if I made the post buggy… but I mean the recorder
theoriginalbit #22
Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:41 PM
Bug Report:
SpoilerDetails:
— Default settings
— < 10 second recording
— 337 files
— Crashed at 52% (178 files)

Error:
parallel:22: ScreenCapture:848: Not enough space to write to file
Have fun with this one!
ardera #23
Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:55 AM
@TheOriginalBIT: I have really fun with this, because that isn't really a bug. This error message comes when the drive is full! Just delete some files and it will work again. But anyway I can add a real error msg for that.
1lann #24
Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:51 PM
@TheOriginalBIT: I have really fun with this, because that isn't really a bug. This error message comes when the drive is full! Just delete some files and it will work again. But anyway I can add a real error msg for that.
TheOriginalBIT is trying to say that the files are so big, a < 10 second recording wouldn't fit on a computer with 2mb of space.
theoriginalbit #25
Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:56 PM
TheOriginalBIT is trying to say that the files are so big, a < 10 second recording wouldn't fit on a computer with 2mb of space.
*ding* *ding* *ding* we have a winner…. each of the 178 files (which took about 5 mins to do on cc-emu) were fairly sizeable and filled the computer…
Skullblade #26
Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:00 PM
OriginalBIT that's not really nice…it's a good program and u shouldn't purposely make bugs…
NeverCast #27
Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:01 PM
Sorry that using a program is considered a bug, Skullblade :P/>
You troll :)/>
Skullblade #28
Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:07 PM
A troll calling a troll a troll…what has happened to the world
NeverCast #29
Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:09 PM
Nothing new, I can tell you that.
theoriginalbit #30
Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:13 PM
OriginalBIT that's not really nice…it's a good program and u shouldn't purposely make bugs…
Fine lets call it "finding a failed error handling" … better? :P/> Plus NeverCast and I are trying to add support for it into CCTube… Kinda need to know the format of the file first to do that… :P/>

EDIT: Also its either TheOriginalBIT or BIT… why shorten my username by 3 letters that just makes it sound weird :P/>
Edited on 25 January 2013 - 12:15 PM
Skullblade #31
Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:14 PM
Ur bugging me :D/>
theoriginalbit #32
Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:21 PM
Sorry ullblade I'll stop trying to help bugfix ardera's program, so that WE can support it in CCTube… Maybe NeverCast and I will just support this one when the ardera messages us about it… :P/>
Skullblade #33
Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:23 PM
:D/> We need a [sarcasm][/sarcasm]
theoriginalbit #34
Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:24 PM
:D/> We need a [sarcasm][/sarcasm]
We do :P/>
Skullblade #35
Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:26 PM
BUT maybe THAT was sarcasm *gasp*!!!!
ardera #36
Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:26 AM
Sorry ullblade I'll stop trying to help bugfix ardera's program, so that WE can support it in CCTube… Maybe NeverCast and I will just support this one when the ardera messages us about it… :P/>
Ye, would be great :D/> My mum just took my computer for the last 2 days, I had to go online with my Mobile phone :(/>
And I already researched a bit about compression.