This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
etopsirhc's profile picture

Thermal Expation Double Buffer

Started by etopsirhc, 24 January 2013 - 04:18 PM
etopsirhc #1
Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:18 PM
I made this little setup cause my forestry machines didnt need 40mj/t but had to be constantly powered. that said , feel free to use this if u ever run into a similar problem.

so how this works is the front buffer can accept and output all your power , then the back buffer can take all of it , but outputs something like 5 or 10

so when front buffer is full and back is empty, it opens the front buffer so that when the back is full it shuts down the front effectively keeping everything powered enough to run but not cause over heating or waste of my magmatic engines.

the build ( note , the hidden block is another of whats under the front redstone energy cell )

and the script ( pastebin: pfp4a5Wr )

allowBufferFlow = false

right = peripheral.wrap("right")
left = peripheral.wrap("left")

while true do
  checkR = right.get()
  checkL = left.get()

if checkL["Full Energy"] and checkR["No Energy"] then
	allowBufferFlow = true
  end
  if checkR["Full Energy"] then
	allowBufferFlow = false
  end

if allowBufferFlow then
	rs.setOutput("left",true)
	term.clear()
	term.setCursorPos(1,1)
	term.write("Discharging Front Buffer.")
  else
	rs.setOutput("left",false)
	term.clear()
	term.setCursorPos(1,1)
	term.write("Charging Front Buffer.")
  end
  sleep(1)
end
p3lim #2
Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:08 PM
Not sure what this is for, but if you want to control your machines power better, you can rightclick the + and - in the cell to change the values by 1 instead of 5.

If you want a list of exactly how much forestry machines need I'm sure you can find it on the forestry forums/wiki, or just ask around on IRC.
etopsirhc #3
Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:53 AM
its for machines like the thermic fabricator , they constantly draw a little power but with a large power plant , that little draw was causing problems , so i made it so the machine (near) constantly gets energy, but my power gen wasnt running all the time just cause of a few machines that dont need much to run.

my setup
40 mj/t from magmatic engines into a single buffer , if it s full the engines are off.
but if its empty , or being drained slightly by something, its never "full" so the engines run wasting netherrack/lava
hence why i made the double buffer, this way they will only really run when the front buffer isnt full , but the machines will still be able to run continuously
IndianaX #4
Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:55 PM
Works greate, one Hint: The Front/Input Cell have to be configured to act on high-redstone signal.

Edit: And here the enhanced Version with a Monitor on Top: http://pastebin.com/f2u9vgH6