This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
wilcomega's profile picture

mini computers

Started by wilcomega, 28 January 2013 - 08:04 AM
wilcomega #1
Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:04 AM
a mini computer is basicly a computer without a screen or hard drive. this means that you will have to put a disk in to make it do anything. the idea was that this divice is cheaper.
for example 4 stone like a tube with redstone in the middle. the GUI of this guy should 3 buttons and a status text. "boot", "shutdown", "reboot", "status: running"

please tell me what you think :)/>
Cranium #2
Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:34 PM
Oh, so you mean copy Redpower EXACTLY!
Not going to happen. AT ALL.
Orwell #3
Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:39 PM
You want even cheaper computers? :o/>
NeverCast #4
Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:46 PM
Actually I'd thought about this and I think it'd be neat. Only difference is that I'd have a modem built in to them, and they be just a little bit bigger than a modem.
Capable of outputting redstone left,right,front,back and down. But not up.
You could place them on any face, so their left,right etc is relative to the block face they sit on.
They would not have bundled cable support as they would be too small

Their purpose would be to be awesome, but also because they are discrete. They could be used for small repeater devices.
They would have no screen, but could interface with a monitor if they were placed either next to, or on the side of one.

Perfect for mass producing little processing units.
For when you don't need an entire computer to control your door or pulse your filters.

Stone, Redstone Torch, Stone
Stone, Gold Ingot*, Stone

* Gold Ingot cause little computers need to have little resistance!
Cloudy #5
Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:14 PM
Nah. Pointless.
NeverCast #6
Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:26 PM
Oh this is in suggestions?
Nah, If this was a CC Addon I'd use it, but I don't think it would add value in the core :)/>
redeye83 #7
Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:14 PM
from the name I thought it was going to suggest a tablet computer, now that would be cool. it could do most of what a computer can do but not output redstone. What it should do is be "linked" to a main pc and act like a remote so you can keep tabs on your powerstation sotware on the move and turn it off or on for example.
theoriginalbit #8
Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:16 PM
from the name I thought it was going to suggest a tablet computer
You need to start reading stickies :P/> 3rd dot point
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/5713-suggestions-not-to-make/
BigSHinyToys #9
Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:37 PM
I think a normal stone computer does all of this quite well and a another device doing the same job. I kinda get why you would want something like this using a full computer just to activate a wire / door seams a huge over kill when a simple block with wifi and RP cable /Redstone wire activation capability would do the same job equally well.
redeye83 #10
Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:53 PM
from the name I thought it was going to suggest a tablet computer
You need to start reading stickies :P/>/> 3rd dot point http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/5713-suggestions-not-to-make/
shh, noone noticed :mellow:/>
immibis #11
Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:57 PM
If stone computers were more expensive, I'd support this - but at the moment it would just be pointless.