This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
AgentE382's profile picture

[Lua] API help: Doesn't work when loaded, but works when run.

Started by AgentE382, 01 February 2013 - 09:12 AM
AgentE382 #1
Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:12 AM
Title: [Lua] API help: Doesn't work when loaded, but works when run.

I'm trying to write a peripheral detector & wrapper. When I run this code (typing `hardware` at the CraftOS prompt), it works as expected.

However, if I open up the interactive Lua interpreter(`lua` at the CraftOS prompt) and type `os.loadAPI("hardware")`, all of the tables are populated correctly, except for the singular `modem` table. All other singular peripheral tables are generated properly.

Does anyone know the cause of this?

Note: I'm running the latest Recommended builds of Forge and CC, with no other mods. MC 1.4.7

sides

left = "left"
right = "right"
front = "front"
back = "back"
bottom = "bottom"
top = "top"

hardware

os.loadAPI("sides") -- My convenience API, because I hate quotation marks (also allows iteration through sides). Exported as "sides" table.
                    -- Found out that I could just use redstone.getSides(), but I already wrote this, so I'll keep it.

modems = {number = 0}
computers = {number = 0}
turtles = {number = 0}
drives = {number = 0}
monitors = {number = 0}
printers = {number = 0}

local env = getfenv()    -- Grab global environment. Everything else will edit this.

-- Populate the hardware tables.
for k, v in pairs(sides) do                               -- Iterate through all sides of the computer.
  if peripheral.isPresent(v) == true then                 -- Check if a peripheral is attached. (either k or v could have been used here).
    local peripheralType = peripheral.getType(v)          -- Find out what type it is.
    local longName = peripheralType.."s"                  -- Add an "s" to the end of its type, resulting in the name for the table.
    env[longName][v] = peripheral.wrap(v)                 -- Wrap the peripheral and stick it in the right table.
    env[longName].number = env[longName].number + 1       -- Update the number of peripherals attached to that table. (To detect whether there
  end                                                     --     are multiple attached.
end

-- Populate the singular hardware tables. (convenience)
for k,v in pairs(env) do                                        -- Iterate through all the global hardware tables.
  if type(v) == "table" then                                    -- Keeps Lua from throwing an error when other environment junk interferes.
    if v.number == 1 then                                       -- Check if there is only one peripheral attached of the current type.
      for k2,v2 in pairs(v) do                                  -- If there is, iterate through the global table to get the peripheral
                                                                --     instance.
        if type(v2) == "table" then                             -- Filter out the "number" key (did it this way to prevent future breakage).
          local shortName = string.sub(k, 1, string.len(k) - 1) -- Strip the trailing "s" off the end of the global table name.
          env[shortName] = v2                                   -- Create a new global table without the "s" on the end and bind it to the
                                                                --     intsance.
          env[shortName].side = k2                              -- Add a "side" key for convenience.
        end
      end
    end
  end
end
ChunLing #2
Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:12 PM
What singular "modem" table?