This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
AnthonyD98™'s profile picture

[ Question ] Is my idea possible?

Started by AnthonyD98™, 19 February 2013 - 03:52 PM
AnthonyD98™ #1
Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:52 PM
Would it be possible to have a menu - take my OS's menu (SelectOS) and have it so that the menu is on the right side of the screen and on the left is whatever you have selected

Example:
You have selected Programs so the contents of the left side of the screen are whatever you set to be programs

I'm not talking about multiple menu's I'm talking about having a menu on the right half of the screen and the content on the left half of the screen . . . So if you have Programs selected then it shows you on the left side of the screen some icons. So lets say that we have calculator and a file browser icon and maybe a game or two. And then we switch to Control Panel which shows all the options you can change.

Would this sort of System work?

I'm not sure if my explanation is clear enough but I'll make a diagram so that its a bit more clearer for you.

So from the diagram I have an idea, We could put Some information in the little box under the menu, Maybe the Time, Who we are logged in as, Etc.
Example: If you checked for an update and no update was available then in the box it would say ' No updates available' and if an update was available it would say
'Update Available!' and there could be a button there called 'Update' that updates SelectOS

This is what I want SelectOS to be like. And of course I would add the option for users to add their own icons with their own names and their own paths.

What do you guys think? Is it achievable?

Also I'm not really sure where to post this, so don't be too harsh if it's in the wrong place.

[attachment=1021:Dio.jpg]
theoriginalbit #2
Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:57 PM
Yes I think its 100% possible. Its a lot of coding to make sure its right and works. but its possible :)/> Would most likely have to be Advanced computers only though. too much to try and do for a simple key based system
AnthonyD98™ #3
Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:04 PM
Yes I think its 100% possible. Its a lot of coding to make sure its right and works. but its possible :)/> Would most likely have to be Advanced computers only though. too much to try and do for a simple key based system

Yes agreed.

Also do you have any programs that you would like me to Include in SelectOS?

I'm also going to be changing the SelectOS autoupdater to use http.get instead of the pastebin program. You can get Raw pastebin files as I saw this working in BigSHinyToys File Browser.

EDIT: Would you have any idea how I could have the Tables centered on the right???

EDIT EDIT: Yay CC-Emulator updated! :D/>
theoriginalbit #4
Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:14 PM
Also do you have any programs that you would like me to Include in SelectOS?
I'm more of a utilities person, take a look in my programs section. But I'm not sure if there is really anything there other than Loading Screen/Bar, Screen Saver and CConfig that would be of any use to you. Is it bad that I can't even remember what programs I have made? :/
Maybe CCTube when its released?

I'm also going to be changing the SelectOS autoupdater to use http.get instead of the pastebin program. You can get Raw pastebin files as I saw this working in BigSHinyToys File Browser.
Yes indeed you can do that, how do you think the pastebin program works ;)/> … you can also pull from GitHub with its raw functionality this is how I do my auto updaters, although idk if you use GitHub or not… :P/>

EDIT: Would you have any idea how I could have the Tables centered on the right???
Something like this id say

local screenW, screenH = term.getSize()
for i = 1, #tTable do
  local text = tTable[i]
  term.setCursorPos( screenW - #text, i )
  write(text)
end

EDIT EDIT: Yay CC-Emulator updated! :D/>
Yes he did it last night. he also added in one of my suggestions :D/>
AnthonyD98™ #5
Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:36 PM
Hmm, Well I've managed to get the menu on the right side now I need to make it so that the selection bar does not span across the whole screen.
remiX #6
Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:39 PM
The CC Computer screen is so small though :/ This will work but there won't be much space.. unless you have a button which extends the sidebar on the right when you click it :D/>
theoriginalbit #7
Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:44 PM
The CC Computer screen is so small though :/ This will work but there won't be much space.. unless you have a button which extends the sidebar on the right when you click it :D/>

You could have something like a single bar on the right like so
http://puu.sh/24VzO

that brings it out.

and make a cool little animation of it sliding out :P/>
Edited on 19 February 2013 - 04:45 PM
remiX #8
Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:48 PM
Yeah and then have it slide to the left so it looks amazing :P/>

Yeah and then have it slide to the left so it looks amazing :P/>
AnthonyD98™ #9
Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

You could have something like a single bar on the right like so
http://puu.sh/24VzO

that brings it out.

and make a cool little animation of it sliding out :P/>

Awesome Idea ! ! ! :o/>

How do I implement this?
theoriginalbit #10
Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

How do I implement this?
The bar? or the animation?
AnthonyD98™ #11
Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

How do I implement this?
The bar? or the animation?

Both of them :P/>
theoriginalbit #12
Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:54 PM
well. with great skill and ability. honestly, the animated is going to be a little hard.

this is how I made that bar just for the screenshot:

local sw,sh = term.getSize()
term.setBackgroundColor(colors.red)
for i = 1, sh do
  term.setCursorPos(sw, i)
  if i == math.floor(sh/2) then
    write("<")
  else
    write(" ")
  end
end
sleep(10)
but I suggest doing a table of buttons. and have that buttons height set to screenheight and the width 1. then just draw it with the rest of the buttons.
AnthonyD98™ #13
Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:56 PM
well. with great skill and ability. honestly, the animated is going to be a little hard.

this is how I made that bar just for the screenshot:

local sw,sh = term.getSize()
term.setBackgroundColor(colors.red)
for i = 1, sh do
  term.setCursorPos(sw, i)
  if i == math.floor(sh/2) then
	write("<")
  else
	write(" ")
  end
end
sleep(10)
but I suggest doing a table of buttons. and have that buttons height set to screenheight and the width 1. then just draw it with the rest of the buttons.

Wait a table of buttons for what I may ask? The Programs? The menu?
theoriginalbit #14
Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:01 PM
Every button you have on your active gui, so programs, your menu, etc etc etc.
AnthonyD98™ #15
Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Hmm, and the bar once opened has the icons and such on it?
theoriginalbit #16
Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:17 PM
Hmm, and the bar once opened has the icons and such on it?

No that bar I drew would have the right hand panel. I think thats what remiX meant anyways.
AnthonyD98™ #17
Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:44 PM
Hmm, Well while you guys think I was working on SelectOS I was actually making a Logo / Loading screen for SelectOS

[attachment=1022:2013-02-19_18.52.04.png]
theoriginalbit #18
Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:53 PM
Hmm, Well while you guys think I was working on SelectOS I was actually making a Logo / Loading screen for SelectOS
Think about what? doing code for you? o.O

Just a side note… use my loading bar api :P/> load.BAR_ONLY :P/>
remiX #19
Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:54 PM
I hope it's not a fake loading screen :P/>
AnthonyD98™ #20
Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:57 PM
Think about what? doing code for you? o.O

Just a side note… use my loading bar api :P/> load.BAR_ONLY :P/>

No i'm not thinking about you guys doing code for me. I was thinking of how I can modify SelectOS to work like this.
theoriginalbit #21
Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:57 PM
Indeed. if its fake… dont use my api! :P/>

No i'm not thinking about you guys doing code for me. I was thinking of how I can modify SelectOS to work like this.
ok?
AnthonyD98™ #22
Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

It hasn't even been implemented yet, and I don't like fake loading its . . . annoying.
AnthonyD98™ #23
Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:59 PM
Indeed. if its fake… dont use my api! :P/>

ok?

Also orginally What I meant was. While you guys think I'm doing stuff with SelectOS I'm actually making a Logo.
AnthonyD98™ #24
Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:02 PM
I don't know what to say now . . .
theoriginalbit #25
Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:08 PM
Also orginally What I meant was. While you guys think I'm doing stuff with SelectOS I'm actually making a Logo.
Ahh ok.

I don't know what to say now . . .
Why?
BigSHinyToys #26
Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:30 PM
It is definitely possible to have icons of some kind example.
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/6202-experiment-simpleshell-not-a-full-shell