This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
grand_mind1's profile picture

Shutdown safe programs

Started by grand_mind1, 22 February 2013 - 03:29 PM
grand_mind1 #1
Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:29 PM
I am currently working on my first idea for a game using computercraft. It is just a little game to check on every time you come back to your base. You are going to have to make a turtle happy and healthy by giving it certain things to meet its needs, similar to a pet. I want to try to make most of the game on my own to test my knowledge and skills but I have no idea what to do when it comes to shutdown safe programs. I will obviously need to remember the "stats" of the turtle between server shutdowns or going out of loaded chunks, otherwise I would just have to start the game over every time I come back. I thought I could just keep the stats as they were but when the turtle starts up it resets the stats. I believe I have to do something with storing the stats onto a separate file and then read that file when the turtle starts but I have no idea how to do that.
Help is appreciated!
Thanks! :D/>
Grim Reaper #2
Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:53 PM
Check out the fs API for information on how to use the terminal's file system.

If you had a table of numbers, for this example, and you wanted to write it to a file so you could read it back when you restarted your computer, you could do it like this:

-- This function takes a table and writes its contents to the file
-- at the given path.
local function writeTableToFile (myTable, filePath)
	-- Get a handle on the file using the fs API so we can write our table to it.
	local fileHandle = fs.open (filePath, 'w') -- Use 'w' so we can open the file in 'write' mode.

-- Make sure that we got our file handle successfully so we do not get any errors when
	-- trying to write to the file.
	if not fileHandle then
		return false
	end

-- Loop through the table we were given and write each entry to a line in the file.
	for index, entry in pairs (myTable) do
		fileHandle.writeLine (entry)
	end

-- Close the file handle and return from this function.
	fileHandle.close()
	return true
end
The above code works for a table of numbers, but it would be better to use the textutils API to serialize the table in case we have other data like strings or other tables within the table we were given.

Now, if you wanted to read this file containing our numbers back into a table, you might do it like this:

-- This function reads each line in a file into a specific entry in a table, then returns the table.
local function readFileIntoTable (filePath)
	-- Get a handle on the file in 'read' mode so we can read from it.
	-- We use 'io.open' here so we can access the iterator function called 'lines' to
	-- iterate over each line in the file without having to worry about going out of bounds.
	local fileHandle = io.open (filePath, 'r')
	local lines	  = {} -- This is the table that we'll be reading lines into.

-- Make sure that we got our file handle properly so we don't get any errors
	-- when trying to read from it.
	if not fileHandle then
		return false, nil
	end

-- Loop through the file using fileHandle:lines() to read over each line.
	-- Record each line in the 'lines' table.
	for line in fileHandle:lines() do
		table.insert (lines, line)
	end

-- Close the file handle and return the table to the calling function.
	fileHandle:close()
	return true, lines
end
The reason we use the ':' operator instead of the '.' operator in the saving example is because with handles returned by 'io.open' we need to pass the file handle to the function along with any additional arguments. The ':' operator passes the object on the left of it into the function call on the right without us having to specify that.
Again, reading the entire file and then using the textutils API to unserialize what we read would be a much better way to do this in case you wanted to read in strings or other tables.

Feel free to PM me any questions, or you could ask on this thread and I'll try to reply back if someone doesn't answer your question first. ;)/>
LBPHacker #3
Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:42 PM
Check this out