This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
marted's profile picture

Where is lost program file?

Started by marted, 24 February 2013 - 04:50 AM
marted #1
Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:50 AM
I wrote a program. It worked. I wanted to move my turtle, so I "mined" it with a pick. It went into my inventory. I placed it where I wanted it, and when I opened it the program was gone. In fact there was nothing in the directory but ROM and it did not have my program. Where is my program? How do I save programs so the persist when the turtle is destroyed? How do I save programs so they persist after the program shuts down?
wilcomega #2
Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:33 AM
wrong section. you can set a label to your computer or turtle so when it will get mined it will remain the programs. use "label set <name>"
Cranium #3
Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:53 AM
Moved to Ask A Pro
Lyqyd #4
Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:02 PM
Your program is in your world save file, under the computer folder, in the folder of your turtle's former ID number.
marted #5
Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:01 AM
OK I found it. But these answers leave me struggling.

Could someone please list code here, every character I need to type into the turtle black screen, that allows me to load a program from my computer hard disk into the current turtle.
After I label a turtle, how do I then restore that turtle?
The_Awe35 #6
Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:48 AM
Okay, so you have your disk drive next to your turtle and a floppy in it. so now you do "cd disk" disk is the default name but if you have more than one it might have a different name, if so then you can type "ls" and it will list all the directories. once in the floppy, you are good! you make and run programs the same there. (you will have to go back into the disk each time you want to use the program however) Other things to know:
"cd .." gets you out the directory (eg. from the disk back to the main screen)
"rm (program mame)" deletes programs (note: from minecraft files as well and is not sent to the recycle bin)
"cp (program name) (new files name)" copies programs
shoot! i forget how you move files now. just type "move" and it should tell you how to do it. hope this helps
ChunLing #7
Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:51 AM
No, that's not the question.

Then answer is that you can't do this from inside of CC. Each computer can only affect files inside of the worldsave folder for that particular computer, or the directory for a floppy in an adjacent drive.

If you can access the world save (which seems to be the case), then simply open the folder using your file system browser (on your computer's operating system, not in CC). Cut/paste the files from that folder into the folder of the computer where you want the files to go.
immibis #8
Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:14 PM
After you label a turtle, you don't need to "restore" it. If it's labelled, it will still have its files when you place it again.

If you break an unlabelled turtle though, there's no in-game way to get the files back unless you saved a backup somewhere else. You can copy/paste the files from saves/<save name>/computer/<old turtle ID> into saves/<save name>/computer/<new turtle ID> though.
ChunLing #9
Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:49 AM
Yes, labeling is better than moving files about outside of minecraft. Only do that if you already have broken an unlabeled computer/turtle.