This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
inc0gni10's profile picture

[Question] Why does a mining turtle move and turn into a basic turtle?

Started by inc0gni10, 24 February 2013 - 03:31 AM
inc0gni10 #1
Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:31 AM
Title: [Question] Why does a mining turtle move and turn into a basic turtle?

Twice I've had a mining turtle move forward and convert to basic turtle with new id. First time I witnessed the event, second I came to check on turtle and it was converted. This is happening on a server running CC 1.5.
Lyqyd #2
Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:35 PM
Please try to narrow down what causes this. Were they performing a specific task? How far away did you wander? Did you log off? Did the server crash. This may be a bug, so if you can provide a sufficient bug report, I will move this to the bugs section. Of course, it could also be a friend playing a trick on you if it's multiplayer. ;)/>
inc0gni10 #3
Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:43 AM
On first case this happened, I witnessed the turtle (with diamond axe) runnings its program to harvest pumpkins, walking behind it along with another player. Suddenly it quit moving forward, first thought it was tps till I opened it up to see it restarted and program was gone, along with the diamond axe.

Second time I stayed within the same chunk. Turtle with diamond pickaxe was running excavate (8 if needed). I went down to check on it and empty chest when it wasn't moving. Pickaxe, label, and programs gone when after it moved forward.

Sadly i have no crash report, server doesn't crash nor the client. And not a friend playing tricks, as second time I am living alone.
SuicidalSTDz #4
Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:20 AM
On first case this happened, I witnessed the turtle (with diamond axe) runnings its program to harvest pumpkins, walking behind it along with another player. Suddenly it quit moving forward, first thought it was tps till I opened it up to see it restarted and program was gone, along with the diamond axe.

Second time I stayed within the same chunk. Turtle with diamond pickaxe was running excavate (8 if needed). I went down to check on it and empty chest when it wasn't moving. Pickaxe, label, and programs gone when after it moved forward.

Sadly i have no crash report, server doesn't crash nor the client. And not a friend playing tricks, as second time I am living alone.

The first case sounds as if you did not label your turtle properly and as Lyqyd said, it could be the fact that your "friend" restarted the turtle and all the programs were lost

I am not so sure about the second instance, however, Lyqyd may know more about this cause. My guess is that whilst you were gone, your "friend" decided to show up and may have "replaced" your dearly loved CC Diamond Pickaxe Mining Turtle ;)/>

My suggestion is to try to re-create this "bug" then come back and tell us if you were successful.
Buho #5
Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:02 PM
I had the same thing happen to me. I was running 8 wireless mining turtles simultaneously on a cooperative assignment when Minecraft froze. I was forced to kill Minecraft. When I restarted and hunted down my turtles, 3 of the 8 were normal turtles with no label, no pickaxe, no wireless modem, inventory cleared out, and my program gone (I found it in my own computer's filesystem later). I was pretty ticked but created new wireless mining turtles and haven't had a hitch since. Very puzzling.
SuicidalSTDz #6
Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:08 PM
I had the same thing happen to me. I was running 8 wireless mining turtles simultaneously on a cooperative assignment when Minecraft froze. I was forced to kill Minecraft. When I restarted and hunted down my turtles, 3 of the 8 were normal turtles with no label, no pickaxe, no wireless modem, inventory cleared out, and my program gone (I found it in my own computer's filesystem later). I was pretty ticked but created new wireless mining turtles and haven't had a hitch since. Very puzzling.
Were all of the turtles labeled? Also minecraft can do some odd things if things don't go right. Chunk errors/resets are a great example of this.

EDIT: If the turtles were in the process of moving, that could also cause some problems if Minecraft were to crash.
Buho #7
Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:16 PM
Were all of the turtles labeled? Also minecraft can do some odd things if things don't go right. Chunk errors/resets are a great example of this.

EDIT: If the turtles were in the process of moving, that could also cause some problems if Minecraft were to crash.
Yeah, they were labeled, and very likely moving. (They were on a mining assignment. Possibly 5 of the 8 were not moving at the time.)
SuicidalSTDz #8
Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Yeah, they were labeled, and moving.
The fact they were moving probably caused them to become "corrupted" upon reloading the world after Minecraft froze, which caused them to lose information and their settings. Thus reverting them to their counterpart; The Turtle
inc0gni10 #9
Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:12 PM
Ok, so an instance where minecraft froze. But I don't have minecraft freezing, and this is on a server. The instance when I was walking with the turtle, I can't say it was labeled. The one running excavate was labeled.

I'll try to recreate this mess.
olliec #10
Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:48 PM
Same thing happened to me (sorry for the necro). Running 1.5/FTB Unleashed, very simple "dig down until you hit bedrock, move forward" program with resume functionality. It appears they simultaneously turned into turtles given their relative distance from one another. The mining turtles I hadn't started yet are fine.