This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
draymonite's profile picture

Melee turtle remote reactivation

Started by draymonite, 05 March 2013 - 05:23 PM
draymonite #1
Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:23 PM
Title Melee turtle remote reactivation
AM complete newbie at computercraft been using for two days

have just started Using direwolf20's mod pack. I set up a modded mob grinding xp farm using 8 melee turtles in a square around a 3x3 square drop.

TTBB
BXXXT
TXXXT PC
TXXXJ
BBTT

T = Turtle
B = Block
X = drop area
J = Exp collector
PC = master control PC

the thing is everytime the server shuts down i have to restart each of the 8 turtles manually

each turtle has a wireless modem but when i have tried to use a master computer with modem nearby the turtles just sit there

Main computer program "Wake" is as follows

rednet.open("right")
print("Enter ID of sender: ")
id = read()
print("What would you like to send: ")
msg = read()
rednet.send(id, msg)

at the turtle i have the following program "Wake"

id, msg = rednet.receive()
print(msg)
if msg == "kill" then
shell.run("combat")

Am I missing something?
Cranium #2
Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:13 AM
Split to new topic.

Actually, to run code upon computer startup, simply rename the file you want to run as startup. That, or you can create a new program labeled startup, with one line on it:
shell.run("<programNameHere>")
JokerRH #3
Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:17 AM
So as Cranium said you have to write the startup code in the startup file (That will be called if the computer starts)
To your wake-on-rednet programm: How should it be able to run if you already noticed that your other programm won't?
–rednet.receive will wait and return until it receives something, it will not be called when it receives a message.
draymonite #4
Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:07 PM
Thanks for the work around

as to the question jokerrh asked

I saw the combat program working if I typed it in the turtles themselves. What I was trying to do was get a turn ON program to work from a computer terminal nearby so that it would activate the combat / kill program on the turtles in a group.

when i tried using the computer, mobs were not being slain showing that it was not working. that is why I asked the original question
immibis #5
Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:25 PM
The turtles are already on. The problem is that they're waiting for you to type a command, not running you're program.

If your program is called startup they'll run it as soon as they turn on, instead of waiting for you to type it.