This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
TheMeFund's profile picture

[Question] Trying to process rednet.broadcast() events

Started by TheMeFund, 09 March 2013 - 04:18 PM
TheMeFund #1
Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:18 PM
I'm creating an elevator system that utilizes railcraft elevator rails, advanced touchscreen monitors, and rednet.

I've gotten the program to build the buttons on the screen, and respond to touches properly, however when the buttons are touched no rednet signal seems to be getting received by other computers in the network.

my code is found here: http://pastebin.com/Cf1RHyZn

Thanks in advance!
Lyqyd #2
Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:51 PM
Split into new topic.
Engineer #3
Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:28 PM
You might want to use:

local event = { os.pullEvent() }
-- Os.pullEvent() has an order of variables, this is always the same.
if event[1] == "rednet_message" then
	-- your Code
elseif event[1] == "monitor_touch" then
   -- your code
end

You can see what kinds of variables it uses on this page: http://computercraft...ki/Os.pullEvent

Actually the parameters arent quite right, the first parameter is always what event..

Your code wont work because it will only send when you send it yourself. Unless you are trying to send yourself a rednet message wich seems useless :P/>
I think you should use:

elseif floorID[y] then

This will check if floorID[y] is valid, otherwise it wont send. And floorID[y] = tostring(compID) then, should never hit unless the ID is defined in the table itself

Hope I helped,
Egineer

Edit: Nvm, your a broadcasting if you hi your own ID.. hmm I am also wondering now…
Edited on 09 March 2013 - 10:40 PM
TheMeFund #4
Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:16 AM
I think the real problem area is in the reception of rednet messages because even the rednet.send() isn't being heard on the other end. It seems as though the message is getting sent from the input computer, but never gets read by the second comp.
Spongy141 #5
Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:53 PM
The problem is you never told the program to receive a message, you only told it to broadcast one, do

id, msg = rednet.receive()
-- You don't need to do this exacly
print(..id": Is sending a message: "..msg)
then just pull the event in order to allow it to send multiple messages without needing to receive them first, or you'll have your screen frozen until it gets a rednet message. Hope I helped.
immibis #6
Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:43 PM
The problem is you never told the program to receive a message, you only told it to broadcast one, do

id, msg = rednet.receive()
-- You don't need to do this exacly
print(..id": Is sending a message: "..msg)
then just pull the event in order to allow it to send multiple messages without needing to receive them first, or you'll have your screen frozen until it gets a rednet message. Hope I helped.
Um, he does receive rednet messages. With os.pullEvent.

If a computer broadcasts a message, does it receive the message it just sent?
Spongy141 #7
Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:58 PM
@immibis (I was too lazy to quote, plus something is bugged about my qoute option)
Well in CC Emulator when I use os.pullEvent to receive a message, yes it does just receive the message you sent, and I think same with reg CC.