This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Appleeater's profile picture

Connect to Mysql via php

Started by Appleeater, 13 March 2013 - 04:25 AM
Appleeater #1
Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:25 AM
Hello!, I am working on a 'bank' that I can connect with on all my different servers. How can I use php to connact with a database and insertremove/select values?
theoriginalbit #2
Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:28 AM
I find this resource quite handy
Bubba #3
Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:33 AM

You stole my damn website! :P/>

Fo' real though. Google and YouTube have the answer to everything. There is an excellent youtube series (the name of which escapes me at the moment) that explains PHP and MySQL in-depth.
theoriginalbit #4
Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:37 AM
Pretty sure you didn't make LMGTFY :P/>
Bubba #5
Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:40 AM
Pretty sure you didn't make LMGTFY :P/>

How sure about that are you?

Okay, you got me. I didn't make it. But I was just talking about how I used that exact same site in response to a post just last night.
theoriginalbit #6
Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:41 AM
Okay, you got me. I didn't make it. But I was just talking about how I used that exact same site in response to a post just last night.
Didn't notice that. lol.
remiX #7
Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:12 AM
I learnt a lot here - w3schools.com. They have everything! :P/>
eleure #8
Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:58 AM
you really need to understand two things here.

- mysql queries and datatypes. you can find the basic function list and some explanation on w3schools as suggested by remiX, but I wouldn't recommend it as an exhaustive resource. just consider its examples and build a little cheat sheet. you want to understand datatypes and the following queries: SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE. make sure you understand these.

- an understanding of how to use php to interact with a mysql server. you want to know how to connect, how to escape a string (to prevent sql injection on the part of malicious users; though you'll be using the service through cc, others could use it through their browsers), how to select a database (might be done with connect), and how to execute a mysql query.
http://www.php.net/m...book.mysqli.php
use this to find functions that look like the ones you need, and build an understanding of the differences between ones that seem similar.
you might want to build a little cheat sheet for these too, excluding functions that are similar but unneeded.

if you want examples, you can search the web, but i don't recommend modifying examples for reuse. instead, understand each aspect of those examples so that you can utilize each function used on your own.

—–

i know how tempting it is to do this sort of thing; i used to do it myself. i'm going to write this, more or less, as if i were a novice.

say i've typed "php mysql tutorial" into my search engine of choice. i see a full page of results that look helpful, a seemingly infinite volume of information, all of which claim to have what i need. how do i know what to choose?

it's probably at this point that i ask for help. i come to this website, and i ask you for help. you just tell me to do what i've probably already done.

say i'm lucky and stubborn. say i choose a tutorial that seems to have what i need, then declare it as my starting point. it has example code, seemingly very helpful. isn't the primary reason that you insist on not doing parts of it for me that i should learn on my own? how is this example code teaching me that?

now i'm just going to use someone else's example instead of yours. i'll modify it because i think i understand it. i'll run into problems and i'll search and search, hoping to find the answer. if i somehow realize i can search my error message, i might find something, but i'm still not learning the way you intended when you suggested i search for tutorials on my own.

i didn't ask for help because i wanted to you do it for me or because i'm lazy. i asked because i have no idea where to start. the volume of supposedly helpful information from my searches is overwhelming. how am i supposed to learn anything like this?

what you need to be offering is a nudge in the right direction. i don't need you to do it for me, but telling me to "just search it" isn't helpful. this doesn't help me; it scares me. i'm now back to staring at this overwhelming volume of information, with even less certainty than i had the first time, because now there's an implication that i should never have needed help anyway. apparently you didn't, right? maybe something is wrong with me. maybe i'm too stupid to learn to program. maybe i'll never understand it.

is this how you want me to feel after i ask you for help?
Appleeater #9
Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:18 AM
you really need to understand two things here.

- mysql queries and datatypes. you can find the basic function list and some explanation on w3schools as suggested by remiX, but I wouldn't recommend it as an exhaustive resource. just consider its examples and build a little cheat sheet. you want to understand datatypes and the following queries: SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE. make sure you understand these.

- an understanding of how to use php to interact with a mysql server. you want to know how to connect, how to escape a string (to prevent sql injection on the part of malicious users; though you'll be using the service through cc, others could use it through their browsers), how to select a database (might be done with connect), and how to execute a mysql query.
http://www.php.net/m...book.mysqli.php
use this to find functions that look like the ones you need, and build an understanding of the differences between ones that seem similar.
you might want to build a little cheat sheet for these too, excluding functions that are similar but unneeded.

if you want examples, you can search the web, but i don't recommend modifying examples for reuse. instead, understand each aspect of those examples so that you can utilize each function used on your own.

—–

i know how tempting it is to do this sort of thing; i used to do it myself. i'm going to write this, more or less, as if i were a novice.

say i've typed "php mysql tutorial" into my search engine of choice. i see a full page of results that look helpful, a seemingly infinite volume of information, all of which claim to have what i need. how do i know what to choose?

it's probably at this point that i ask for help. i come to this website, and i ask you for help. you just tell me to do what i've probably already done.

say i'm lucky and stubborn. say i choose a tutorial that seems to have what i need, then declare it as my starting point. it has example code, seemingly very helpful. isn't the primary reason that you insist on not doing parts of it for me that i should learn on my own? how is this example code teaching me that?

now i'm just going to use someone else's example instead of yours. i'll modify it because i think i understand it. i'll run into problems and i'll search and search, hoping to find the answer. if i somehow realize i can search my error message, i might find something, but i'm still not learning the way you intended when you suggested i search for tutorials on my own.

i didn't ask for help because i wanted to you do it for me or because i'm lazy. i asked because i have no idea where to start. the volume of supposedly helpful information from my searches is overwhelming. how am i supposed to learn anything like this?

what you need to be offering is a nudge in the right direction. i don't need you to do it for me, but telling me to "just search it" isn't helpful. this doesn't help me; it scares me. i'm now back to staring at this overwhelming volume of information, with even less certainty than i had the first time, because now there's an implication that i should never have needed help anyway. apparently you didn't, right? maybe something is wrong with me. maybe i'm too stupid to learn to program. maybe i'll never understand it.

is this how you want me to feel after i ask you for help?

Thanks eleure, you hepled put my feeling out there and actually help point me in the right direction. Unlike those other idiots – no offence
eleure #10
Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:02 AM
Thanks eleure, you hepled put my feeling out there and actually help point me in the right direction. Unlike those other idiots – no offence
i know it seems stupid, but the lesson we've all tried to impart is that you have to learn to teach yourself. once you reach a certain point in your education, it hits you that you had to learn to teach yourself, and you try to teach others the same thing. unfortunately, i've never known of anyone who got it right on their first attempt after this realization.

there was no ill-intent, just a lapse in communication. they were trying to help as much as i was. i hope i've done better than a link to google, but i'm confident that i haven't determined the best approach just yet. i wish you luck in learning to teach yourself, and i hope i've given everyone some food for thought.
Bubba #11
Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

Edit: And now that I read eleure's post, I see that he said pretty much exactly the same thing. *facepalm*. Still applies though.

I'm glad that eleure has helped you out, and I apologize if I seemed rude. But the main reason that we only gave you a link to google is because it is all right there, easily accessible and open for your perusal. The search term "MySQL PHP" will give you thousands of references which are easy to follow, including videos and text tutorials. Our intent is not to "bash" you (I can only speak for myself, but I imagine that the others feel the same way), but rather just to point people towards using their own heads rather than bum off of the work of others. Not to mention you will get a better understanding just by doing the searching yourself than anything we could give you.

Again, I feel that I was rude and for that I apologize.
xgaarocha #12
Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

That's not a valid excuse. I, for instance, learned most of what I know about computers(and other things) researching all by myself rarely asking for help.
Not saying you shouldn't ask for help, but whenever it isn't available you should try doing it yourself. And, when you manage to learn and make it work, you will be rewarded with an awesome feeling of accomplishment. :)/>
Not trying to be rude, just trying to give some good advice ;)/>
eleure #13
Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

That's not a valid excuse. I, for instance, learned most of what I know about computers(and other things) researching all by myself rarely asking for help.
Not saying you shouldn't ask for help, but whenever it isn't available you should try doing it yourself. And, when you manage to learn and make it work, you will be rewarded with an awesome feeling of accomplishment. :)/>
Not trying to be rude, just trying to give some good advice ;)/>
absolutely true, but, in my personal life, someone took a chance and handed me some particularly famous (in some circles) software for me to learn from. i then proceeded to progress faster than everyone i knew. with as much modesty as possible, i'm rather brilliant.
it is more rewarding for you to learn to learn yourself, but, in my experience, it's better to have some sense of direction in those early stages.
Bubba #14
Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:07 PM
absolutely true, but, in my personal life, someone took a chance and handed me some particularly famous (in some circles) software for me to learn from. i then proceeded to progress faster than everyone i knew. with as much modesty as possible, i'm rather brilliant.
it is more rewarding for you to learn to learn yourself, but, in my experience, it's better to have some sense of direction in those early stages.

My issue is not the fact that a sense of direction is needed in the early stages. That is a given (we don't set elementary schoolers loose to do "self study"). My issue is the fact that the sense of direction is so readily available on the topic and so easily accessed. How can I be certain that a forum dedicated to Lua and ComputerCraft will have a PHP expert who knows what they are talking about anyway? Better to go look up a tutorial on your own from a widely respectable source (w3schools.com comes to mind?) than to be given perhaps faulty information (I do not mean to say that your advice is wrong, eleure, only that it would be possible considering the nature of this forum). Better to put in a little extra effort and in the process attain a better knowledge of the subject. Better to not coast off of the hard work of others on a forum dedicated to something other than the question's subject matter because who knows, perhaps they've missed something vital.

As to your notion of there being an "seemingly infinite volume of information", which you seem to think would be overwhelming and a chore to sort through, I disagree to this also. The first three websites that pop up from a "php mysql" search are all wonderful and trusted resources. That is not even counting YouTube videos, which is what I learned PHP and MySQL from a few years back. I never really needed a guiding hand because, well, it's right there. Now for a more difficult problem, I could completely understand coming to a forum to ask a question. Perhaps not this forum, but a forum regardless. Had a similar question to the OP been asked on some forum dedicated to PHP, I am sure that most members would have given a relatively similar answer. For example, we often encounter users who ask: "how should I learn Lua"? We don't tell them to piss off (although we could, given the number of times this question has been asked and the ease with which the information can be found), we give them a link to the PIL or a link to a google search, and tell them to go learn it themselves. Google will give them that resource as easily as we do to start with, even if they don't know what exactly to type. "Lua tutorial" or even simply visiting the Lua website will give you a host of resources. PHP and MySQL is no different in this respect.

I apologize if any of this is offensive to anybody reading it; It is just the way I was raised to think. Work hard and you will be rewarded.
xgaarocha #15
Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:26 PM
About where to start, something that really helped me is to set a goal first. Think about something simple, like a code that locks/unlocks a door using a password. Then search on how to do exactly it, nothing more, nothing less. As you go on, keep trying to do more complicated stuff, then more complicated, and on and on…
Also:
Never use other people's codes when you're starting off (studying them is fine, no copy pasting it), try to redo everything . It will help. Latter on you can knock yourself out downloading pre-made apis and modules, you already know coding so might as well save some time.
theoriginalbit #16
Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:31 PM
Our intent is not to "bash" you (I can only speak for myself, but I imagine that the others feel the same way), but rather just to point people towards using their own heads rather than bum off of the work of others. Not to mention you will get a better understanding just by doing the searching yourself than anything we could give you.
I 100% whole-heartedly agree! I was not trying to bash, but instead point you to some very good resources, honestly if i knew how Google was configured for you I probably would have hit "I'm feeling lucky" instead of search in LMGTFY because I know for a fact that the first link that comes up for me is a VERY good resource and I would trust them with my life!

How can I be certain that a forum dedicated to Lua and ComputerCraft will have a PHP expert who knows what they are talking about anyway? Better to go look up a tutorial on your own from a widely respectable source (w3schools.com comes to mind?) than to be given perhaps faulty information. Better to not coast off of the hard work of others on a forum dedicated to something other than the question's subject matter because who knows, perhaps they've missed something vital.
Yes this is a big issue on the forums at the moment, there are lots of people answering questions in this section and there are so many comments that I read that are meant to be 'helping' and cause so many more problems and/or are just completely wrong or unrelated to the OP. Now I'm not saying that everyone should be or are perfect, but what I'm saying is that sometimes its better to exhaust all other revenues, especially those from experts or the developer documentation of the particular language, before going to an open forum such as this, obviously this doesn't really apply for say ComputerCraft APIs, but hopefully you are seeing my point. Also I'm not trying to talk up (or down) anyone on the forums including myself. We all have our given skill sets but there is no guarantee of what their skill sets are and/or if they will give correct information, hell I'll be the first to admit that I get stuff wrong sometimes too (even though I do programming for a living! no one is perfect!), momentary lapses in judgement, not knowing the topic area 100%, tiredness, etc, are the biggest factors of incorrect information not being given.

Unlike Bubba I'm not going to apologise for my first reply or this one, I stick by it, if I didn't I wouldn't post it… ok maybe i could have not posted it as a LMGTFY, but I've always like the comedy aspect of that site … also I feel that, that first page (minimum) on Google when searching "MySQL PHP" will be the best ever resources that you will get… if you're not understanding those, well to put it bluntly, no one will be able to help you understand it…
Dlcruz129 #17
Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

You stole my damn website! :P/>/>/>

Fo' real though. Google and YouTube have the answer to everything. There is an excellent youtube series (the name of which escapes me at the moment) that explains PHP and MySQL in-depth.

I was the one who introduced lmgtfy to the forums! (Warning: incoming argument)

On-Topic: like a lot of my posts on these forums, have a link to thenewboston http://thenewboston.org/
theoriginalbit #18
Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:08 PM
I was the one who introduced lmgtfy to the forums! (Warning: incoming argument)
I don't think you can make that claim. just because you were maybe the first to post a link from it doesn't mean you introduced it to the forums. I've known and used it for several years (exact amount unknown)… *googles how old lmgtfy is* ok I've been using it since 2009. so ~4 years.
oeed #19
Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

Gota love LMGTFY…
remiX #20
Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

Did you even check my link?
eleure #21
Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

Did you even check my link?
i thought the same. w3schools is certainly useful as a quick reference. i think an early draft involved directly mentioning your post, but it's hard to keep track. i apologize on his or her behalf.

i'll reply to the other posts tomorrow. it takes a lot of energy for me to write. i often find myself spending more than an hour or two on short posts. until then, everyone.
Appleeater #22
Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

Not saying you shouldn't ask for help, but whenever it isn't available you should try doing it yourself. And, when you manage to learn and make it work, you will be rewarded with an awesome feeling of accomplishment. :)/>/>
Not trying to be rude, just trying to give some good advice ;)/>/>

It is a valid excuse, I know little about PHP and SQL and the only thing I know about with the http api is http.get("URL") so it is a excuse
Left #23
Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:27 AM
PHP. Well. If you want a web interface learn HTML too. PHP is quite easy. I learnt some of it in like 2 hours. (I have been a program for a few years) I'm gonna give you a huge tip. MD5. Got it? If you ate going to store passwords, MD5. It can't be decrypted. Unless you want to end up like NDF-Jay please encrypt everything securely. Btw, can I ask how much you plan with your bank? I am also making a huge PHP network.
theoriginalbit #24
Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:46 AM
PHP. Well. If you want a web interface learn HTML too. PHP is quite easy. I learnt some of it in like 2 hours. (I have been a program for a few years) I'm gonna give you a huge tip. MD5. Got it? If you ate going to store passwords, MD5. It can't be decrypted. Unless you want to end up like NDF-Jay please encrypt everything securely. Btw, can I ask how much you plan with your bank? I am also making a huge PHP network.
I SERIOUSLY hope that you are joking with suggesting MD5! If you were to use MD5 you may as well put a massive sign above your code saying "Free user details to anyone with a rainbow table!" … if you are REALLY into security you do way better than an MD5 hash. even SHA1 is bad. Something like maybe SHA1 (yes I know I just said it was bad, keep reading) the password, add a large salt to the hash (a salt is a random string of characters that your program knows for the future) and then SHA512 that combination. (While I'm not going to fully disclose, CCTube uses a similar method to this, and NeverCast and I did the math and a standard 8 character string takes a very long time to break, and thats assuming the hacker knows everything about our system and exactly what we do to the data)
Also just to fix you up on terminology, it is not an encryption, it is a hash, a hash is designed to be one way, if you have a 2 way hash then you actually have an encryption scheme, not a hash.
Left #25
Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:59 AM
I dont think you can read. (im joking) md5 cannot be decrypted. The only way to find what md5 decrypts into is matching a input to the already encoded md5. Twitter, facebook, YouTube, google, every big company uses md5.

sorry I am on a mobile.
Left #26
Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:08 AM
Also add the function remove slashes or anyone could get your database info.
theoriginalbit #27
Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:09 AM
md5 cannot be decrypted. The only way to find what md5 decrypts into is matching a input to the already encoded md5.
While you are correct, the process of the MD5 hash cannot be reversed, the data can still be found out easily.

Twitter, facebook, YouTube, google, every big company uses md5.
If you're talking about how they use it for file checksums, yes they do.
eleure #28
Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:46 AM
i don't have time to respond to the rest just yet, but for those discussing password hashes: http://krebsonsecuri...sword-security/
eleure #29
Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:55 AM
My issue is not the fact that a sense of direction is needed in the early stages. That is a given (we don't set elementary schoolers loose to do "self study"). My issue is the fact that the sense of direction is so readily available on the topic and so easily accessed. How can I be certain that a forum dedicated to Lua and ComputerCraft will have a PHP expert who knows what they are talking about anyway? Better to go look up a tutorial on your own from a widely respectable source (w3schools.com comes to mind?) than to be given perhaps faulty information (I do not mean to say that your advice is wrong, eleure, only that it would be possible considering the nature of this forum). Better to put in a little extra effort and in the process attain a better knowledge of the subject. Better to not coast off of the hard work of others on a forum dedicated to something other than the question's subject matter because who knows, perhaps they've missed something vital.
i reiterate; a novice has no idea whether those resources will be informative, reliable, applicable to his or her situation, or just lead to more confusion. in fact, the way PHP interfaced with mysql a few years ago has been recently depreciated. the majority of tutorials are likely to explain using the old methods, though i haven't checked. i understand that, to you, after all this time, it seems easy to search for answers and act on them, but a novice has no idea if those results are what he or she wants. this is because a novice doesn't really understand what he or she is trying to find. it isn't a question of effort. it's a question of direction.

As to your notion of there being an "seemingly infinite volume of information", which you seem to think would be overwhelming and a chore to sort through, I disagree to this also. The first three websites that pop up from a "php mysql" search are all wonderful and trusted resources. That is not even counting YouTube videos, which is what I learned PHP and MySQL from a few years back. I never really needed a guiding hand because, well, it's right there. Now for a more difficult problem, I could completely understand coming to a forum to ask a question. Perhaps not this forum, but a forum regardless. Had a similar question to the OP been asked on some forum dedicated to PHP, I am sure that most members would have given a relatively similar answer. For example, we often encounter users who ask: "how should I learn Lua"? We don't tell them to piss off (although we could, given the number of times this question has been asked and the ease with which the information can be found), we give them a link to the PIL or a link to a google search, and tell them to go learn it themselves. Google will give them that resource as easily as we do to start with, even if they don't know what exactly to type. "Lua tutorial" or even simply visiting the Lua website will give you a host of resources. PHP and MySQL is no different in this respect.
i address your opinion on the reliability of those resources in the comment above.
now, while you're probably right about a similar answer being given, that doesn't make it the right answer. it's not a good answer at all because it leaves the user just as lost as before s/he asked for help.
you say you could tell those users to piss off given the number of times it's asked. i understand the sentiment– you want the user to understand that s/he should use the search function. this lack of direction is a perfect example of the lack of direction i mention. if you don't want to answer those sorts of questions, perhaps someone should write an intro to lua for cc, covering a few basic concepts and some easy programs in lua to demonstrate its simplicity and then link to PIL. have you ever read the preface to PIL?

allow me to demonstrate using a pretend conversation.
—–
novice: i want to learn computercraft.
cc user: well, computercraft uses lua. you should learn lua.
novice: i suppose i should start with the preface
preface said:
Currently, many programming languages are concerned with how to help you write programs with hundreds of thousands of lines. For that, they offer you packages, namespaces, complex type systems, a myriad of constructions, and thousands of documentation pages to be studied.

Lua does not try to help you write programs with hundreds of thousands of lines. Instead, Lua tries to help you solve your problem with only hundreds of lines, or even less. To achieve this aim, Lua relies on extensibility, like many other languages. Unlike most other languages, however, Lua is easily extended not only with software written in Lua itself, but also with software written in other languages, such as C and C++.

Lua was designed, from the beginning, to be integrated with software written in C and other conventional languages. This duality of languages brings many benefits. Lua is a tiny and simple language, partly because it does not try to do what C is already good for, such as sheer performance, low-level operations, or interface with third-party software. Lua relies on C for those tasks. What Lua does offer is what C is not good for: a good distance from the hardware, dynamic structures, no redundancies, ease of testing and debugging. For that, Lua has a safe environment, automatic memory management, and great facility to handle strings and other kinds of data with dynamic size.
novice: programming languages? i just want to learn cc
novice: hundreds of thousands of lines? packages, namespaces complex typesystems, thousands of documentation pages? this programming thing sounds ridiculously complicated. i just wanted to learn cc.
novice: ok so lua is a programming language, and it's supposed to not have all this complicated stuff
novice: lua programs are still supposed to be hundreds of lines? maybe i'm not cut out for this

yes, s/he should read the stickies and search on his/her own. that's a mistake, but there shouldn't be some kind of punishment for it. efforts would be much better suited to putting these sorts on the right track before it's too late. in fact, there should probably be a FAQ and the standard response should be a link to it. it should be well-written (obviously, i'm not the man for the job), with clear instructions, demonstrating that lua, and programming in general, is not impossible to learn.

I apologize if any of this is offensive to anybody reading it; It is just the way I was raised to think. Work hard and you will be rewarded.
no offense taken, on my part. i also apologize if my writing above is difficult to decipher. i have tremendous difficulty with writing in a clear way. i've been practicing for years, so believe me when i say that this is much better than what i'd have submitted even a few months ago.
Bubba #30
Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:57 AM
I agree with you on many of your points, eleure, and disagree on others. You say that I find it easy to decide what resources are valid and what resources are not due to my experience. But that is not how it was for me when I started programming, and the only questions I have ever asked of anyone have been specific questions about peripherals/minecraft modding that I could not find after extensive searching. As a novice I was just as able to find valid resources as I am now (it just took more time).

But I don't really want to start an all out flame war here. The only thing that I would like to point out to anybody reading the thread is that for ComputerCraft, all of the resources you will probably ever need can be found in the tutorial section, CC wiki, and Lua PIL (If further clarification is needed, then of course I and many others would be glad to answer your questions in Ask a Pro or IRC). For other languages, it is my opinion that questions do not really belong here but that is simply an opinion. I only know that I will likely not respond to questions that have had no prior research or work done to solve the problem yourself.

@Eleure, I respect that you have taken so much time and effort to answer to this thread, and I think your English is fine. Keep up the good work :)/>

P.S. I am operating on about three hours of sleep right now, so I may sound a bit incoherent. Sorry about that.
eleure #31
Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:14 AM
i certainly agree that this isn't really the place for questions like these. my only huge disagreement is on the way those sorts of threads are handled, which, as i said, i would recommend a standard response.

i also recognize your situation– mine was similar. i was lucky enough to have some help starting out, and i'm certain it made a difference.
my secondary disagreement, with you, specifically, is that it's entirely possible to be encouraging and helpful without spoon-feeding. that's why i recommend a FAQ.

i apologize if i've seemed hostile. it's not something i intended to convey, and certainly not something i've felt.
Bubba #32
Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:26 AM
my secondary disagreement, with you, specifically, is that it's entirely possible to be encouraging and helpful without spoon-feeding. that's why i recommend a FAQ.

Hence the reason I made this a few months back :)/> The entire tutorial section in general though is a sort of "FAQ" that for some odd reason not everyone utilizes.

i apologize if i've seemed hostile. it's not something i intended to convey, and certainly not something i've felt.

Nope, you've been completely reasonable the entire time. Thanks for that :)/>
Appleeater #33
Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

Firstly, can you tell me the story of NDF-Jay as I have heard about it but don't know the full story. Something to do with his operating system?

Secondly I plan on the Bank being huge. I plan to make a way of communicating with the database from the game. Then I plan on making a HTML web site that allows you to a) Donate to developers for extra money B)/> b)Check balance c) Transfer Funds d)change password etc

So Far I am learning php and setting up a way of authentication before allowing the user to add/remove money or change details. Linearus if you want to join me then jut say as I need some help on this almighty task.
Appleeater #34
Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:56 AM
Here is my basic list of needs doing:

• PHP Authentication Before Executing Scripts.
• Create simple Game -> Database code
• Create a GUI
• Add encryption
• Add web GUI
• Release To Public
oeed #35
Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:11 AM
I recommend you start a new post in general if you are starting the project. Don't post your updates here.
If you need any more help with PHP or MySQL PM me or start a new Ask a Pro topic.

Also, if you need free hosting, I recommend 000webhost.com.
Left #36
Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:34 PM
I have been working with some 'hackers' ( I cant identify ) and I encrypted a 12 char password with SHA512 then salted it then SHA215, they got the password.
oeed #37
Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:46 PM
I have been working with some 'hackers' ( I cant identify ) and I encrypted a 12 char password with SHA512 then salted it then SHA215, they got the password.

Are you sure…
As far as I am away neither SHA512 or SHA256 have been cracked yet.
xgaarocha #38
Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:22 PM
It is a valid excuse, I know little about PHP and SQL and the only thing I know about with the http api is http.get("URL") so it is a excuse

Nope, I didn't know anything about PHP and MySQL either at first, and learned all of it by myself. I'm again not saying you can't or shouldn't ask for help, the contrary. But do know that you can learn all of this by yourself.
PixelToast #39
Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:49 PM
did you tell them it was a 12 char password :P/>