This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
grand_mind1's profile picture

Turtle Sorting

Started by grand_mind1, 16 March 2013 - 08:37 AM
grand_mind1 #1
Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:37 AM
I am doing some testing to find out if I can make a somewhat good sorting system using turtles. So far everything has gone well except for one thing that I can't figure out how to solve. When I was testing with enchanted books and the turtles didn't seem to know the difference between different types of books. After doing some research I found out that all of the books have the same item ID's(I'm not sure if turtles use ID's to compare items) and the enchantment on the book is stored with NBT data. So turtles can't compare items with NBT data? If so, is there any way to allow them to use it? If any of this information is wrong please correct me.
Help is appreciated!
Thanks! :D/>
OmegaVest #2
Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:34 AM
No, turtles do not look at NBT data. And, so far as I know, no peripheral does it either.

And, yes, they use item IDs to compare. Also damage values, since some mods (like RedPower 2) use damage values to reduce item ID consumption. Actually, now that I think about it, so does vanilla minecraft. ie Wool colors.
grand_mind1 #3
Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:52 AM
Dang it. Well thanks for your help.
Engineer #4
Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:28 PM
You could use MiscPeripherals, have the turtle put in the item, get it out again and then you have you main computer sent the ID of the item. With NBT data it converts it with some algoritm