This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
redeye83's profile picture

Secure Replacement for Wireless Redstone

Started by redeye83, 22 March 2013 - 06:51 PM
redeye83 #1
Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:51 PM
I currently have a train system that uses wireless redstone to transfer the signal from railcraft signals via recivers and wireless transmitters.

This updates my display boards on the platforms and my tracking system.
They also link to my platforms safty system so that if a train is at the platform or the track is damaged the approching train is either held outside or directed to a free platform.

My main concern is that someone could transmit false signals and disrupt the train network.

Anyone got any ideas?

I think there is a signal perif but not 100% sure what it does.
theoriginalbit #2
Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:55 PM
RedPower or Encrypted rednet.
redeye83 #3
Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:59 PM
RedPower or Encrypted rednet.

Redpower? By running jacketed wires?
Rednet? Would this mean having a computer per signal reciver?
theoriginalbit #4
Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:02 PM
Redpower? By running jacketed wires?
Yeh by cables.

Rednet? Would this mean having a computer per signal reciver?
Well you could have 1 computer per 16 receivers, using RedPower Bundled cables… Then have that one computer send out via rednet, or over the awesome new network cables. :)/> ( which will also make your station setup nicer, "one [computer] to rule them all", imagine that, 8 platforms, one computer printing all the info on them. )
Left #5
Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:25 PM
What about the cable which is designed for networking. I don't know the name of it because I only use CC-EMU. It uses the cable modem.
redeye83 #6
Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:27 PM
ok so I will most likly use network cables for the stations.
Now comes my total noob question, is there a limit to how many simontaniuos imputs rednet can take at a time, for example tracking the movement of the trains on the line and the platforms all at the same time. thats 32 platforms and all the track in between!
theoriginalbit #7
Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:30 PM
Now comes my total noob question, is there a limit to how many simontaniuos imputs rednet can take at a time, for example tracking the movement of the trains on the line and the platforms all at the same time. thats 32 platforms and all the track in between!
If you mean is there a limit to how many channels can be open on the modems? yes, 128 channels per modem.
Left #8
Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:31 PM
I have another idea. It you make the receiving computers ONLY listen to the server by getting the senders ID..

Eg. The receive only listens to the id 58

cid1, msg1, dis1 = rednet.receive()
if cid1 == 58 then
	-- Do something
else
	rednet.send(cid1, "Cannot authenticate you.")
end
redeye83 #9
Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:48 PM
What about using "Electronic Signal Controller" from MiscPeripherals 3.1? Has anyone had any experiance using it?
theoriginalbit #10
Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:52 PM
I have another idea. It you make the receiving computers ONLY listen to the server by getting the senders ID..

Eg. The receive only listens to the id 58

cid1, msg1, dis1 = rednet.receive()
if cid1 == 58 then
	-- Do something
else
	rednet.send(cid1, "Cannot authenticate you.")
end
The new system of channels you never know the sender id, only the channel it was sent on, and what the node wants a reply to be sent on.
Engineer #11
Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:23 PM
If you are using the WRCBE or something you can have private channels. This is what I have qouted from the WR CBE add-on:

ChickenBones said:
SMP permissions
There is a fairly complicated permissions system in place for SMP management.

The /freq command can be used to manipulate various cofigurations. Use /freq help to learn what they are and how to use them.

It is advised that the Private Sniffer from the addons module is used for managing private frequencies, as this does not require the player to be an OP.

Frequencies are split into three ranges; public (0-1000), shared (1001-5000) and OP managed.
Public frequencies are there for anyone to do whatever they want with.
Shared frequencies are like public frequencies, however use of the private command a frequency can be locked to just one player.

These ranges can be changed through the freq set and get commands. Also the freq jam/open commands and the freq scan command can be used to allocate ranges of freqs specifically to certain players.

Anyone who doesn't have permission to access a freq will be shown a greyed out square on their sniffer. They will be unable to set any device to that frequency. However they can still use devices set by other players.