This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
trecneps's profile picture

Chat Turtle Help

Started by trecneps, 15 April 2013 - 03:58 AM
trecneps #1
Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:58 AM
I was just wondering if it is possible to have a Chat Turtle (or any other type of Turtle/Computer) read from the chat bar
I made a password locked door, and I think it would be more useful if i could just use the chat to open it
Sariaz #2
Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:14 AM
There is nothing built in to the base computercraft mod to do this. I do not know of a peripheral that dose this but there may be one.
LordIkol #3
Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:29 PM
how useless is a password protected door when you have to write the password to the chat :D/>
trecneps #4
Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:32 PM
how useless is a password protected door when you have to write the password to the chat :D/>
I imagined there would be a way to treat it as a player and do /msg and it could see if it was me who said it
Sariaz #5
Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:08 PM
I dont see anything currently that allows a computer or turtle to read the chat, but the openccsensors forum post suggested that this might be added a later date. You might want to post on general or peripheral section of the forum that you think someone should make a chat reading peripheral as im sure many others would like the idea.
popdog15 #6
Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:11 PM
if you use Miscperipherals, there is the Chat box, which you can put on the turtle. There isn't really any documentation of the item, so, I can tell you some of the commands. Wrap the peripheral to the side even if it is attatched to the turtle, and
make an event "local event, player, message = os.pullEvent("chat")
then do "if message == *password* then
*things*
end"
You can also do *peripheral variable*.say("message")
Sariaz #7
Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:36 PM
Thank you for this I never realized that the chat peripheral in misc peripherals had that event thank you very helpful. +1 to you
trecneps #8
Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:07 AM
if you use Miscperipherals, there is the Chat box, which you can put on the turtle. There isn't really any documentation of the item, so, I can tell you some of the commands. Wrap the peripheral to the side even if it is attatched to the turtle, and
*things*
end"
Thank you so much! I would have never found that on my own, but my client crashed every time I use it on a server.
Also, do you know if there's a way to make it make what I say invisible, so I don't seem suspicious?
And, do you know if you can send a personal message with the chat box? (I tried chatBox.say"\msg player …", but it just printed out the whole command)

Sorry if I'm overloading you; I can't find anything anywhere about how to use the chat box.
888leoj #9
Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:48 PM
the chatbox in misc peripherals (as far as i know) cant find commands (i mean if u do /msg "password" it wont notice it and wont do anything) so yea u need to type it in chat
BigTwisty #10
Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:53 PM
If it is easy you are looking for, you might think about the Player Detector from the same mod. It raises an event whenever a player clicks on it, but the event contains the name of the player. You could easily make it work for you and only you. No password needed!
888leoj #11
Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:57 PM
and if anyone wants some basic code for a chatbox to listen to chat heres a simple (wery simple it just checks for every normal chat message) program i put together : http://pastebin.com/29BJmLeR
and if you dont trust the link heres the pastebin code : 29BJmLeR
if you dont know how to get pastebins to ur turtle/computer (im not sure why you wouldnt know) do : pastebin get "code" "name"
kreezxil #12
Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:51 AM
and if anyone wants some basic code for a chatbox to listen to chat heres a simple (wery simple it just checks for every normal chat message) program i put together : http://pastebin.com/29BJmLeR
and if you dont trust the link heres the pastebin code : 29BJmLeR
if you dont know how to get pastebins to ur turtle/computer (im not sure why you wouldnt know) do : pastebin get "code" "name"

If you want a more complex solution such as my Advanced Chat Monitor program then take a look at http://pastebin.com/DEhS9BXJ with pastebin code: DEhS9BXJ. The purpose of mine is that does what the simple one does however, you can specify how many lines of history to keep and you also have the ability to scroll up an down through it.

Keep checking this pastebin code for updates about once a week as I'll be installing a history reloader for use when reboot condition exists such as a server reboot or a computer restart.

You can also get my program at turtlescripts.com which is linked in my sig below. It will be updated there first.
popdog15 #13
Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:15 PM
*things*
end"
Thank you so much! I would have never found that on my own, but my client crashed every time I use it on a server.
Also, do you know if there's a way to make it make what I say invisible, so I don't seem suspicious?
And, do you know if you can send a personal message with the chat box? (I tried chatBox.say"\msg player …", but it just printed out the whole command)

Sorry if I'm overloading you; I can't find anything anywhere about how to use the chat box.
Sorry. I bet you know the answer by now, but no, you cannot hide the chat, unfortunately. I wish you could /tell the computer, but that functionality is nonexistant :c
amtra5 #14
Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:04 AM
Also, neat trick I found, if you put a "/" in front of the message, it won't show but is still detected by the chatbox

Edit by Bubba: This is not true.
campicus #15
Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:45 PM
Also, neat trick I found, if you put a "/" in front of the message, it won't show but is still detected by the chatbox
Does this work?! That would be amazing!! :D/>

EDIT: This doesn't work, I hate you for giving me hope
amtra5 #16
Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:46 AM
Does this work?! That would be amazing!! :D/>/>

EDIT: This doesn't work, I hate you for giving me hope
Sorry about that D: I didn't realise it didn't work with Misc Peripherals.