This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
SirDiggalot's profile picture

coord into name on say command

Started by SirDiggalot, 10 June 2013 - 04:46 PM
SirDiggalot #1
Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:46 PM
when you use the chat box peripheral, and you use the say command, it chats whatever, but in the place where the name would be if it were a player, is co ordinates of the computer, is it possible to change that into a name? even the great etho cant find this.
Engineer #2
Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:14 PM
According to the MiscPeripherals thread:

Ce n'est pas possiblement!
That is french for: that is not possible!

:P/>
Xenthera #3
Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:30 PM
I think RG could easily change it to the computer's Label… Seems more practical IMO.
Orwell #4
Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:55 PM
I think RG could easily change it to the computer's Label… Seems more practical IMO.
The issue is that it makes spoofing of other player's names possible. You don't want a computer be spamming the chat in the name of the owner, do you?
Xenthera #5
Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:32 PM
The issue is that it makes spoofing of other player's names possible. You don't want a computer be spamming the chat in the name of the owner, do you?
Fair enough. However it would have the @ sign in front of it and be italicized. So it would obviously not be mistaken for the real owner, or whoever. I don't really see it as THAT big of an issue.
Orwell #6
Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:45 PM
Fair enough. However it would have the @ sign in front of it and be italicized. So it would obviously not be mistaken for the real owner, or whoever. I don't really see it as THAT big of an issue.
We'll see when you get banned from a server because I start trolling like hell with your username. :P/> The prefix idea is ok. It might be better to make it even more obvious for the more naive people out there, but it could work.
Xenthera #7
Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:46 AM
We'll see when you get banned from a server because I start trolling like hell with your username. :P/> The prefix idea is ok. It might be better to make it even more obvious for the more naive people out there, but it could work.

Yeah, except
[@]Xenthera:
Xenthera:

They're pretty distinguishable. Plus, when it sends a message, it can return to the server the computer's coordinates. That can also help in tracking who is using the computer. At least maybe. Besides it would be no different than spamming with the current block, would it?

Plus, I don't know if it already exists, but there could be a block limit, (say 64 or something) so it would only bother people within a 64 block radius.
SirDiggalot #8
Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:02 AM

Yeah, except
[@]Xenthera:
Xenthera:

They're pretty distinguishable. Plus, when it sends a message, it can return to the server the computer's coordinates. That can also help in tracking who is using the computer. At least maybe. Besides it would be no different than spamming with the current block, would it?

Plus, I don't know if it already exists, but there could be a block limit, (say 64 or something) so it would only bother people within a 64 block radius.
there is a block limit set in one of the parameters of the say command, but if you omit the parameter, then it is an infinite range (I think). and since coding is so epic, you could probably prevent the computer taking even the resemblance of a players name.
Orwell #9
Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:18 AM
* snip *

Yeah, except
[@]Xenthera:
Xenthera:

there is a block limit set in one of the parameters of the say command, but if you omit the parameter, then it is an infinite range (I think). and since coding is so epic, you could probably prevent the computer taking even the resemblance of a players name.
My point is that it's not enough to make it distinguishable, but it should also be obvious to newbies that this is a program talking and not a player. And spamming would be totally different than framing someone else for something. Anyway, block limit sounds like a decent thing to make configurable by default (in the server config that is).
SirDiggalot #10
Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:09 PM
* snip *

Yeah, except
[@]Xenthera:
Xenthera:

My point is that it's not enough to make it distinguishable, but it should also be obvious to newbies that this is a program talking and not a player. And spamming would be totally different than framing someone else for something. Anyway, block limit sounds like a decent thing to make configurable by default (in the server config that is).
by what i have read about it, it is.

EDIT i cant find the (blocked) page where it explains in detail the chat box, server defaults, this and that, i keep coming back to (blocked) (blocked) forum pages and and a stupid (blocked) ftb wiki which says, that chat box allows computers to use the chat. i am so (blocked) right now at the idiocy one has to go through just to find A PAGE of info…. sorry for the rage.