This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Imque's profile picture

Strange Usage of Code

Started by Imque, 13 June 2013 - 01:02 AM
Imque #1
Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:02 AM
Hai,

I have once again started reviewing NeverCast's code again for 'becoming top level' and I am once again completely confused. I am attempting to rewrite is for a simple OS loader so I can include advance functions within my programs. I have looked at his code again and am wondering why he has written the following like so:

table.size = function(tbl)
local count = 0
for _,__ in pairs(tbl) do
  count = count + 1
end
return count
end
local function getParentShell()
for i = 0, 5 do
  local env = getfenv(i)
  if table.size(env) == 1 then
   local i,v = next(env) -- Grab first
   if i == "shell" then
    return v
   end
  end
end
return nil
end

My main question about it is why has he made a function to get a table size. What has stopped him from doing #env and using this instead table.size(env)?
chiloxsan #2
Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:08 AM
Using # to find the length of a table only returns the length of the entries with a number as the index. Since the environment table uses strings as the indexes, he has to use his own function.
theoriginalbit #3
Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:47 AM
As chiloxsan stated the # only gets the count of the indexed values. To expand on that the table.getn and table.maxn both also count the indexed values. Example:

local t = { this = 1 }
print( #t )
will output 0. This is why Nevercast made his own function, to count both indexed and key/value pairs…
Bomb Bloke #4
Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:52 AM
Another catch to #env is that it stops counting when it hits the first null value. For example, say you defined:

env = {7,nil,5}

#env would return 1. table.getn(env) would return 3. I haven't heard of table.size() before (should read that API some day), but what I'm reading of it now suggests it'd return 2 here (though I'd recommend testing it to be sure).
theoriginalbit #5
Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:54 AM
I haven't heard of table.size() before (should read that API some day)
NeverCast defined it himself… it doesn't actually exist…

table.size = function(tbl)
Bomb Bloke #6
Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:34 AM
Ah. Well done me for missing the first line - I think it's my bed time.
theoriginalbit #7
Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:36 AM
Ah. Well done me for missing the first line - I think it's my bed time.
Its ok, well all have momentary lapses in judgement and thinking, I think it was Orwell that had one today too, maybe it was yesterday. Bedtime… at 22:36 how early?! :P/>
Bomb Bloke #8
Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:46 AM
Usually I'd indeed call it early, but I'm transitioning from a late night shift today to a morning shift tomorrow, with about six hours sleep last night (er, this morning) starting from 2am…

I'm too young to feel old!

Anyway, yeah, point is Lua doesn't have a function to track how many indexes are actually in a table. It has commands that may give you that answer if you populate the table a certain way, but they're not accurate in all instances (eg the sample table I provided above).

I'd let myself think I missed a function, but you really do have to define one yourself if you want that kind of accuracy.